• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Should I prioritize fitting my Shockwave with an aftermarket safety?

I see the subject come up frequently when it comes to the Mossberg 500 Series of Shotguns (save for the 590A1 with the Aluminum safety) of replacing the stock plastic safety with an aftermarket safety made of metal, and it has gotten me kind of worried.

Folks seem to be concerned about the durability of the stock safety since it isn't made of metal, but is it really so flimsy that its something that I should prioritize? I mean, I see a lot of folks online who say that they immediately replaced the stock safety, but is it a necessity? In other words, is the stock safety so terribly unreliable and prone to breakage that replacing it ought to be made top priority?
I see a lot of folks expressing concern over the durability of the stock safety, but is it really warranted? I find it hard to believe that Mossberg would have continued using a safety which is indeed unreliable/prone to breakage, especially considering that such could easily become a legal liability, but then again, stranger things have happened.

So what's the real deal on the Mossberg plastic safety? Are there indeed cases of it being terribly unreliable and if so are they recent or from years past? Is it a matter of immediate concern or is it merely that if one takes a Mossberg 500 out shooting/hunting on a regular basis for 50 years then the safety may break somewhere around that time?

EDIT - 01/30/2020: Upon attempting to install an aftermarket Safety Switch by NDZ Performance, I cannot recommend this to anyone. It has been nothing short of miserable from the very beginning, and honestly doesn't seem worth the trouble. Unfortunately, the Safety Switch is secured with a one-way screw which is an absolute nightmare to remove. Lots of folks make it look and sound so easy to do, but that hasn't been my experience at all. I've watched numerous instructional videos (including one from NDZ Performance themselves) and read countless posts on how to remove the screw, but I can't get it out no matter how hard I try or what method I use. Mossberg clearly doesn't want you to remove this screw in the first place and attempting to do so is a thoroughly miserable experience.

If anything, my persistent attempts at removing this screw has illustrated just how unnecessary these aftermarket safety switches are. Seriously, I've boogered up the screw head so badly that the only way I'm getting it off now without the use of power tools is to cut through the stock safety switch with a hacksaw then remove the screw with vicegrips. No seriously, this oh-so-brittle polymer safety switch is so thick and fitted so tightly to the receiver that the only way I can think of to break it off is to deliberately cut through it with a hacksaw. This isn't something that's going to snap off if you drop the shotgun and it lands on the safety switch or anything like that, so you don't have to worry about it.

So yeah, if you're considering replacing the safety switch on your Mossberg 590 Shockwave, DON'T! Save yourself the time, money, and frustration of subjecting yourself to the pursuit of this solution in search of a problem.

Last edited:
As far as I'm concerned it's more of a marketing scam or for those who would rather accessorize their guns than shoot them. Must change out that plastic trigger housing next?

I've had a couple of Mossbergs for years and the plastic safety lever is still intact and works fine.

To each their own. I choose to spend my hard earned money on ammo.

Regards

If your safety switch works smoothly and easily, no need to change it. I changed the safety switch on my 590A1 because the lower profile OEM switch was difficult for me to move into the fire position, especially when shouldered. The Promag or Brownell's safety switch is raised a bit and allows a better surface area for my thumb to push on it.

While I have no problem accessorizing or upgrading a gun whatsoever, I can say that I have a 500 that I have owned for 19 years now and the selector switch still isn't broke.

So, if it ain't broke....

those who would rather accessorize their guns than shoot them.

I like customizing my guns!

When it comes to shooting them, I think that shooting them every weekend qualifies me as someone that SHOOTS!

I change my Mossberg safeties to the Vang Comp aluminum/metal version more for the shape and tactile feel as its larger than the stock one. its worth it for the $30 and 5 mins to change out on each of my Mossy's....

I replaced the safeties on a few of my 500's.
When hunting with gloves on the larger aftermarket switches are easier to actuate.
It had nothing to do with concerns of breaking them.

This!!

Hows it going LTB?

I had the plastic safety break on an old Mossberg, but it was a 20-30 year old gun. I did replace the safety on my Shockwave, but that was more for easier manipulation than over worrying that it might break.

I don't remember exactly which brand of safety I bought, but it's the same style as the Promag. Since I replaced the birdshead grip with a pistol grip and brace, it's much easier to manipulate. I can swivel my hand up and push the extended tab with my index finger.

48272097321_2a6d3cbc72_k.jpg

I would be very concerned that a bigger safety could be accidental bumped to the hot position. I’m keeping mine in the stock factory issue.

Dog

Back