• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Silver Reserve II Not Always Firing

Lipervitch

Copper BB
I recently picked up a used Silver Reserve II in 12 gauge. The previous owner said he only fired a couple of boxes of target loads so it is essentially still new.
I was Skeet shooting on the weekend and a few times after loading the gun it did not fire when the trigger was pulled. It wasn't a misfire or the safety being on. The trigger was stiff and did not pull back like it does when the safety is on.
I took it apart and cleaned/lubed the trigger mechanism. It looked very clean with no debris that could cause issues but perhaps it just needed lubrication? I haven't given it a good test since then but was wondering if anyone else had this issue.

The lube will probably help.

My wife inherited a Spanish 410 bore side by side that felt like you described. It was like the internal parts weren't resetting and cocking when you closed the barrel.

I sprayed a bunch of carb cleaner down in there and then sprayed a bunch of oil and it helped for a long time.

The last time he got it out of the cabinet, was starting to do it again though.

I expect rust and corrosion setting up inside of there.

Thanks for the feedback. I soaked it in some G96 for a while and then cleaned it out really well so we will see what happens. I did notice that if I hold the gun upside down the trigger won't pull back the same way. It probably is something getting stuck when it does that while shooting it. Hopefully the lubrication takes care of the problem. I think it's been sitting unused for over a year. I'll also try firing the top barrel first next time and see if that changes anything.

Thanks for the feedback. I soaked it in some G96 for a while and then cleaned it out really well so we will see what happens. I did notice that if I hold the gun upside down the trigger won't pull back the same way. It probably is something getting stuck when it does that while shooting it. Hopefully the lubrication takes care of the problem. I think it's been sitting unused for over a year. I'll also try firing the top barrel first next time and see if that changes anything.
If you dont have snap caps for testing, just knock primers out of,a couple,spent shells and put pencil erasers in the hole, snap,away

Last edited:
If you dont have snap caps for testing, just knock primers out of,a couple,spent shells and put pencil erasores in the hole, snap,away
Thanks, I'll pick up a pair of decent snap caps for future but I did what you suggested with the pencil erasers. Gun seems to be working ok now. A couple of times the trigger froze up but if I release the pressure and immediately pull it again it fires. I think the internal safety may be coming on that engages when the gun is held down at a steep angle. I can work with it now that I know it fires if I immediately pull the trigger again.

Back