• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Really Short Range Report

CaddmannQ

.50 BMG
Maybe you thought that this is a short range report because the report itself is short.

April Fool!

This is a short-range report because we never shot over 50 yards today.

:rolleye:

I got out to the shooting range today with two of my buddies and I took my .22 Ruger pistol, my 1911 pistol, my .45-70 Marlin, and my new Henry .22 mag lever gun.

The weather was lovely and the winds were moderate but I wasn't really trying for maximum accuracy. None of these guns have Optics on them.

I will say that since my eye surgery I shoot so much better with iron sights that I can't believe it.

All the guns ran really well and I really enjoyed shooting all four of them a lot.

My buddy Bobby brought his newly assembled hot rod Precision Ruger 10/22 rifle, and his newly assembled Precision AR-15 rifle.

The Ruger made some terrific holes!
20190401_171518.jpg

But the AR was keyholing every shot running hornaday Precision match 75 grain.
20190401_171444.jpg

I didn't really keep my targets because I was mostly just function testing and Blasting away for fun.

My bud Dave brought his Magnum Research .45-70 stainless revolver. This thing has a muzzle flash you would not believe.
Screenshot_20190401-172803.png
The Single Action Shooters have been sprucing up the cowboy town again. Check out the steer skull and the vultures.
20190401_110534.jpg

20190401_110516.jpg

All in all I had a terrific day at the range and I ran a lot of ammunition and I was really pleased with the Henry Lever gun.

Looks like a fun day. I think I'd like to have a Henry .22 mag. Glad you like it.

I've never fired an AR, is the tumbling typical ? I remember hearing stories about the M16, but that was 50 years ago.

I would love to have a Henry 22 mag. I imagine it's smooth as can be.

I have never fired an AR-15, is the tumbling typical ?

They were supposed to Tumble as soon as they hit a body.

But to shoot one at long distance you have to have the right ammo for the gun and I don't think he had it.

......I have never fired an AR-15, is the tumbling typical ?

Its a mis-match between rifling twist and bullet weight.... those 75gn will need a 1-8 or 1-7 twist barrel... some 1-9 will work, some won't.

My shooting buddy had the same a week or so ago... he'd bought a used Rem 700 in .223, and the gunshop guy said that the Hornady 75gn ammo went well in the Rem 700's.
He fired 5, and i put 3 through it, and all 8 went through the target sideways... at 25 yds!

We scrounged some 55gn ammo, and that worked perfectly, so i'd guess the 700 has a 1-12 twist barrel which will prefer the lighter ( up to 55gn) bullets.

Daryll is spot on. What twist did Bobby's AR have?
Run a spectrum of weights thru the barrel and see what straightens up.

OK, now ya got me thinking. would this hold true for all calibers as well ? Would say my 30-30 Marlin lever have the same issues ?

Bob said 1-14 twist! No wonder.

I shoot those 75s in a 1-9 long barrel and they fly pretty straight.

Anyhow He's going to a 1-9 barrel or similar.

Where do you even find a 1-14 AR barrel? You have to search to find a 1-12 if you're wanting to do an A1 replica. That slow of a twist is much more common to a .22-250, where you're pushing 40-55 grain bullets over 3500 FPS and up to 4000.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

A 1;8 twist barrel is in my opinion the best barrel made to date. Will stabilize the heavy and the light bullets better.

I thought the picture was an Aprils fools joke until you said it wasn't, then I was like :omg:

Back