• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hunting 2019

I did do some patterning but had some issues with the new barrel. Since realized it was the positioning of the sights on the rib. They were misplaced on the rib such that it was shooting too high, I moved the rear sight back (down) and the front back (raising it) and I think everything is OK now. I hope to get out and do some more shooting this weekend.

We, my Chapter of the NWTF, are putting on its Turkey Hunting Seminar this weekend at Williams Gun Sight. If anyone local is interested let me know and I'll fwd the info. Our speaker puts on a great talk and provides a lot of really good information.

Turkey time is getting closer. I'll be heading down to KY in a couple weeks to kick off my season. My MI season opens early in May.

Good luck hunting Mike.

I went up to the property last weekend.

Saw one area where Turkey had been scratching.

Sadly, there were only a few spots so it's probably that lone hen.

I also noticed around the area where I usually keep my salt block.

It still had leaves covered over it and hadn't been disturbed since last fall when the leaves had fell. [/boohoo]

I'm in on a lease with a couple buddies and they have procurered a couple other small properties to hunt. We also found out we are just a short distence from some public land in the 45K acre range, per my buddies description. One of them got a bird on the public land last year so we bave lots of options. They found this after I hunteded last year and I never made it back down so I have not personally checked it out yet.

Thought I had resolved the sight issue but not. Shooting 4-5" high at 7 yards and barely on paper at 20-40. I have the front as high as I can mount it and the rear as low as I can get it on the rib. These are factory sights on a brand new OFM turkey barrel, kind of frustrating to get a new barrel and not even be able to hunt with it. I don't think I will have time to do any more patterning before the season.

My 870 with Williams Fire Sights is spot on so that is my go to this year.

Is there any chance that the barrel is not seated completely or is somehow in a bind?
No, it is seated completely but it shouldn't matter as the sights are attached directly to the barrel.

Maybe you could exchange it for a new barrel from Mossberg?

I orderred the same sights for my 835. I refinished that gun a while back and the barrel didnt have sights on it when I bought it. That gun also shoots very high with the Mossberg sights.

I have a set of Williams Fire Sights in my parts box. I will try these the next time I can get out to pattern it. These are installed on my 870 :-D

Looking around the web I am not the only one who has had this issue.

I have 5 guns and a few other barrels patterned so I'm not without. Its kind of an obsession LOL

Hope you find resolution to,OF sights those sort of things keep me awake at night. +1 love the williams fire sights though thats a product worth its price 100%

Finally a true hunting picture.

2019-04-21 18.25.45.jpg

My KY bird #1. 10" beard, 19.2#, 7/8" spur on one side only, none on the other. No calling just a strutter with a real fan and a hen for decoys. Shot at about 30 yards with my 870 with a Primos Jelly Head choke tube shooting 3" Lonbeard #5's

Still looking for #2, things are in a lull with little gobbling and not seeing anything but single hens. Still have a few days left.

Now I know what I can't get one. MikeD's done and went and shot them all already.

Nice job Mike.

We got 6 total. Three of us tagged out. My buddies tagged out first week. I went all week after the first bird without seeing anything but a few hens. The last day was like someone hit the reset. We saw 7 toms and upteen hens. They were strutting and gobbling all over the farm.

We started the day by setting directly under the first tom...not intentionally...needless to say he pitched down far away as I''m sure he watched, or at least heard, us set up our decoys and get situated.

The one I got was one of a group of 4.

Being a gun forum I should add some more details.

My gun is my 12G Remington 870 Express Magnum with Hogue Stock, turkey barrel, Williams Fire Sights and a Primos Jelly Head choke tube. The Ammo was Winchester Longbeard 3" #5's.

Both turkeys were in the neighborhood of 30 to 35 yards when I shot them.

Something of special note: I had installed an oversized safety some time back because this doubles as a HD gun. While it is nice and easy to depress I found for hunting, it has a tendancy to activare itself when slinging it around and crawling through the brush and rocks. I found the gun 'off safe' a couple times. Fortunately I am one to check it frequently just out of habit. Mossberg definitely gets points for their design on this as well as for offhand shoots, which happens a lot when turkey hunting, you can't always set up to shoot from your dominant side when you run-and-gun it.

I just got the Fire Sights I had orderred for my 835 frankengun. If I can get them installed and patterned, I'll be using it for my MI season in a few weeks.

Got the firesights installed and got the 835 dialed in for my MI season.

Patterning a 3.5" 12 g turkey load has to be my least favorite activity. Even after dialing it in with light field loads.

Fortunately it does not seem as bad when you are shooting a tom in the face. ;-D

Back