• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

2019 Georgia Bushcraft Gathering

I personally do not claim "bushcraft" I'm not aboriginal Aussie ? But I am a woodsman and manybthings they do I do or like. Some nice folks, some good knowledge, cool stuff from vendors setting up , knives axes packs hiking and cooking gear, survival gear trinkets widgets gizmos and doodads all in one place touchable. Lots of,classes and discussions, networking friend,making. There is also a trading get together Saturday I'm interest to eexplore, I brought some bait...
AND they set up an axe throwing range ??
Never tried it but I might, no clue why I dont forsee throwing my tools but who knows never thought id get pedicures either !!

Thanks for sharing that.

My uncle recently found some photos from where we were building a little something or another up in the woods back around '90. It doesn't seem like that long ago but it surely was.

It's bush crafted too. Hand saws and hammers. No electricity or generators for us back then.

Rough lumber from the sawmill with oak floor and roof (which hadn't even been put down yet).

Carried each piece you see up there by hand. We usually tied a bunch of boards together with a rope and we both pulled like a team of pack mules. The sheets of plywood and OSB we used on the exterior walls were a ROYAL pain to carry up there.

Do you like our ladder nailed up on the inside of the wall joists so we could get up to the top to build the roof?

Yee-Haw Y'all.

Mountain castle.

cabin being built frame.jpg

Has a pot belly stove in it, but I have just been using gas stove(s) lately because the chimney vent has a lot of rusty holes in it now. Couple of hammocks. A fold down bed. Fold down table. Cabinet and some shelves.

I did finally put some solar power to it a few years ago. But I rarely ever use it. But it does give us an inside and outside light and radio and dc fan like you would've found in an old school bus or rig. Quite cozy if I do say so.

So hard "roughing it" at truck. Supper tonight some imported German Weiswurst and pink eyed peas from garden. Enjoy 0411191745.jpg

@John A. Love the cabin especially the familybstory, those places are surely a treasure. This land we are at has been in hosts family since mid 1800s, some incredible structures here IL make some photos and post at some point.

Last edited:
Woke to strange yet,not totally unfamiliar odor ???? Oh heck nah !!!!!! No reason to forgo personal hygiene afield. WASH yo nasty a%$ kids ! Baby wipe dipped in little warm water scrub bubba, Little powder in them nether regions never hurts either, bambi and booboo bear dont want smell all that....
0412190731_HDR_20190412074935613.jpg
the "bushcraft" world is diverse from ultra gear snobs to mountain men to trail hippies, some require the personal hygiene counseling...... Nuff said

I'm with you Elbert. I'm hoping that it's a lot like riding a bike. ;)

I'm with you Elbert. I'm hoping that it's a lot like riding a bike. ;)
I would more liken certain skills to pistol craft. You can probably never pick up a pistol for,the next 20 years with your current skill, and then grab one and surely manipulate and,even hit a target BUT you will not be as smooth and accurate after letting your motor skills lapse. If that make sense. I mean like Cadd I once could actually ride a skateboard but I'm just guessing my mind knows how still but an ER trip would be likely :oldman:

0412192204.jpg I dont find flint up,where I live. I do find quartz which throws good spark but brittle. Just got this beauty from a fella known as blackpowder bill may be the prettiest peace of flint ive ever owned

That is a nice piece of flint.

I was always terrible at knapping.

Great thread and pictures guys! I have always wanted to try knapping but have yet to do so. The Lawilowan Tribe has an annual gathering not far from here and my boy and I try to stop by. Their is always an excellent knapper or two there and I could spend all my time with them. My son is definitely into roughing it and making a place to sleep with foraged materials.

Back