• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

464 Accuracy

Hello all,
First post here. I hope everyone is doing well. I have become interested in getting a new 464 with the straight stock and would like to ask a couple of questions. Do the new ones still have the issue of stringing after a few shots? This is something that I have seen on videos and read about. Are there remedies for it? Finally what is the best way to refinish the hardwood stock to a darker shinier and durable finish? Thank you for your replies.

Hello all,
First post here. I hope everyone is doing well. I have become interested in getting a new 464 with the straight stock and would like to ask a couple of questions. Do the new ones still have the issue of stringing after a few shots? This is something that I have seen on videos and read about. Are there remedies for it? Finally what is the best way to refinish the hardwood stock to a darker shinier and durable finish? Thank you for your replies.

I have targets that show strung shot patterns ad some that are in the bull and grouped nicely. I got mine a couple years ago. I will watch this thread to see if anyone has anything new to add. Thanks for posting.

Hello all,

Welcome to the forum Hidden.

Personally, the 464 carbine is not my favorite gun, but after working on it a lot, I do like it better.

Some folks say they improve with lots of break in.

Mine strings worse with certain ammo, which leads me to believe a better cartridge match can help a lot.

So far I have not produced such a cartridge.

Thanks for the welcome and the replies. Do you think the stringing might have something to do with the bands holding the foregrip? Are there ways to free float or at least bed it better in the stock? Just some ideas. I don’t have one yet so I can’t really see what can be done to it.

It may be a matter as simple as adjusting the band tension and shimming the forearm.

They had a similar problem with one of the Ruger number ones and they fixed it by sticking a little nut as a shim into the mechanism.

Basically it changed the harmonic relationship between the barrel and the main spring of the gun.

In my mind stringing is the result of the barrel whipping in a rhythmic way.

If you destroy that rhythm the stringing should stop.

At least that's what happened with the Ruger.

I have a really early model 464 Spx. I've never had an issue with accuracy. I'm a city boy, so I rarely shoot over 100 yards, but with my red dot sight, the thing hits whatever I aim it at.

Quick update:
I disassembled the rifle for cleaning. The barrel inside is very shiny. After I put it back together, I cycled 12 unfired rounds through it to test feeding and it performed flawlessly. I even cycled them very fast with no hang ups. I haven’t shot it yet, so accuracy is still to be determined, but so far so good. I’m very happy with this $430 purchase. I will report back on Monday after I shoot it.

Well just came back from shooting the 30-30 and I’m very pleased with it. I shot a whole box of Hornady American whitetail without a single problem. Accuracy is also very good. There were no signs of stringing. I’m not crazy about the sights but I’m going to put peep sights on it anyways so that is not really an issue. My groups should shrink considerably. The other thing I’m not too crazy about is the lever safety but I think it’s just a matter of getting used to it.

Well just came back from shooting the 30-30 and I’m very pleased with it. I shot a whole box of Hornady American whitetail without a single problem. Accuracy is also very good. There were no signs of stringing. I’m not crazy about the sights but I’m going to put peep sights on it anyways so that is not really an issue. My groups should shrink considerably. The other thing I’m not too crazy about is the lever safety but I think it’s just a matter of getting used to it.
I went with a red/green dot sight. I'm right handed and left eye dominant, so the sight helps a lot when I have to use my right eye. As far as the lever saftey. I try to remember to keep my shooting elbow high and you'll never have to worry about that safety. But you'll get used to it regardless.

I had great initial accuracy, then that flew out the window. I have only 2 reasons I can think of why my shots were stringing...a hot barrel, and a few copper droppings in the rifling.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that loading it through the side gate is very easy and smooth. It doesn’t cut my thumb and the rounds just side in. I really think I got a good one here. Hopefully it will hold up. It is not as easy to disassemble for cleaning as a marlin or Henry but it is not difficult at all and once it’s disassemble it is actually easier to clean because the internals are more accesible since the side wall is lower due to the side eject.

I've found that if you push a round half in and follow it with another round. Push the first round in with the second round, and so on. Fast reloads!! No fingernail bites also.

I've found that if you push a round half in and follow it with another round. Push the first round in with the second round, and so on. Fast reloads!! No fingernail bites also.

I think I read that tip in the owners manual. Have you had a round push back behind the gate? Let me know how you get it shoved back up into the feed tube. If it slides back it will jam up the lever and you can't cock it.

I think I read that tip in the owners manual. Have you had a round push back behind the gate? Let me know how you get it shoved back up into the feed tube. If it slides back it will jam up the lever and you can't cock it.
It takes practice, but works well with time. Never had a round push back.

It takes practice, but works well with time. Never had a round push back.
I hold the rifle with my left hand under the receiver. My left middle finger holds the last shell in place while the next one is pushed in nose to primer on the one partially in place. The last shell to be loaded is also shoved into place by a round, but that is just to make sure the round locks in place inside the feed tube. This is where I have had problems with the cartridge backing up when thumbing in the shell.

I've never had one get behind the gate, but I've had rounds hang at the mouth of the tube. When it does this I can half-cycle the lever again & hear the "snick" of the next shell released from the tube. Not sure what causes the temporary hang-up.

I tweaked my gate a little and it works much better. Like the Marlin, rounds don't get stuck behind the gate.

The leading edge is too sharp and too flat. Roll the depression in deeper, and roll the leading edge over a bit--at the corners for your finger's sake, and in the middle to trap against the cartridge rim. If it doesn't trap it's too flat.

I filed it a bit in the corners too. Too Sharp! This thing cut me at least twice before I wised up and dressed it up right.

I hold the rifle with my left hand under the receiver. My left middle finger holds the last shell in place while the next one is pushed in nose to primer on the one partially in place. The last shell to be loaded is also shoved into place by a round, but that is just to make sure the round locks in place inside the feed tube. This is where I have had problems with the cartridge backing up when thumbing in the shell.

This is what I did as well, until I fixed it.

Back