• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What are the main problems with the 930?

RobG-ADV

Copper BB
Hi guys... new to the forum. Like many, I kinda have my eyes on eventually maybe doing some 3-gun competitions. The 930 JM Pro seems like a great way to start given its price, but the more I read about it, the more I'm inclined to stay away from it. It seems to have lots of problems.

What I'm wondering.. what are the most typical problems, and what can be done to correct them? I'm a DIYer so I can learn to fix most anything; that which I can't I'll go to a gunsmith for. BUT... if I'm gonna end up having a ton of money tied up in it, I'd be better off saving for a Benelli.

So I thought I'd ask... at the risk of asking one of those "this has been asked a thousand times, why didn't you search" questions. And yes, I did search. And read and read and read.

Thanks! :)

Rob

I've heard some of the problems that some JM pro owners have experienced. I've had my JM for about 2 months now ,and shot the hell out of it. While shooting it like crazy. I eventually started shooting low brass shells around 1200fps. Not one failure , after 400 rounds.Then I did the same thing with shells that were 1150fps. One failure after 6 rounds. Cleared the failure , and fired the rest without a problem. For reliability I only shoot shells that are 1300 or more fps. Great shotgun. I believe most of the malfunctions are due to firing super low power shells. My JM pro will cycle # 7 1/2 shot without a problem.

Last edited:
When I was shooting my JM pro. I was trying to get it to fail on ammo. The other day I was shooting#8 shot and it ran fine.

It's a little heaver than my friends auto's that cost x 3 as much. And it makes me shoot all my ammo. Mine runs like a top, I love it.

My stock waterfowl model ran damn near flawless. I installed several OR3GUN parts just because I like to tinker and it has continued to be damn near flawless ever since.

There is a whole thread listing the issues with the 930. Most issues were tied to the SPX and other short barreled models and included canted sights, feeding issues and burs on barrel spring that scratched the magazine tube.

Annnnd, I have 2 SPXs, with OR3Gun parts, and no issues. 500 rounds each of Suprema #7.5 from Walmart. Mixed 00 and slugs, another hundred rounds each. I haven't shot them much since relocating to the Gulf Coast, as the local ranges all have up-charges on shottys.

Having said that, the Stoeger 3000 is pretty much the current gold standard, for an entry-level 3 gun. Check out Brian Enos Forums.;)

The 930 was designed and built from the ground up as a budget shotgun. It gets people into a semiautomatic shotgun for slightly more than a good pump. In order to do this Mossberg relied heavily on MIM manufactiring of all small internal components, and designed a cheap to make gas system. There are generally the light users of the shotgun, and then competition shooters or hunters that fire thousands of shells a year.

Light use common problems are going to be gas system maintenance. Shooting the gun especially with common dirty bulk ammo found in big box stores and then leaving it to sit can result in lots of hard deposits, and plastic in the gas system. Regular cleaning helps keep things running well. Early models had some issues with gas cylinders being slightly cocked causing cycling issues.

Heavy user problems start to become far more complex. Gas and recoil system need mods to keep up with heavy use. Or3gun spacer tubes, ans SBE Precision Products pistons really bring the reliability and reduced carbon buildup in the gas system to another level. Small parts start breaking in heavy use guns. Extractors, charging handles, shell latches usually break eventually so keep spare parts handy.

Overall i really love the 930 platform. It is easily customized, and with the addition of aftermarket parts I believe it can compete with far more expensive shotguns.

I may have to get a 930 one of these days. But for now, I have a couple Turkish made semi's that have been unstoppable so far.

I may have to get a 930 one of these days. But for now, I have a couple Turkish made semi's that have been unstoppable so far.

Do it. I occasionally see then surprisingly cheap on the used rack. I think some of the issues with the 1st gen SPX still lingers, but mine has been pretty darn reliable. I have since replace most of the internals with OR3GUN parts, not that I had issues, but just because trying to make an awesome gun awesomer. ;-D

That said, I've been obsessing over the 935 lately, prob just because of turkey season. Ironically i've killed more turkeys with my 930 than any other shotgun but the siren song of a 3.5" semi auto is strong. I have a true love hate relationship with that round. LOL

Yeah, my Charles Daly maximag semiauto is chambered for up to 3-1/2's.

I bought a replacement spring for it so I could keep the original spring the same, and cut a few coils off of the new spring so it would cycle low brass.

I'm not real interested in anything more these days.

Yeah, my Charles Daly maximag semiauto is chambered for up to 3-1/2's.

I bought a replacement spring for it so I could keep the original spring the same, and cut a few coils off of the new spring so it would cycle low brass.

I'm not real interested in anything more these days.

Just looked that one up, it's nice. I just really love the oversized bore on the Mossberg x35 series. I have a NWTF Charles Daily I bought of off a guy locally, its a nice shooting gun, but it will only shoot the 3" mags.

Thanks, yeah, it's a good shooting gun.

The barrel is a little long (24") but shoots good.

GPUUFML.jpg

Thanks, yeah, it's a good shooting gun.

The barrel is a little long (24") but shoots good.

GPUUFML.jpg
Hahaha, the one I have is a 28". The guy sold it because it was too long for his pop up blind. Ironically i prefer a longer barrel in a blind as its easier to get the muzzle blast outside the blind. Killed a lot with my 930 wo 28" barrel, its just harder to use it when I run and gun in wokded areas.

I like 26-30 for wing shooting, 22-24 for thick brush and 20-22 for turkey. OFM has a 22" on the 935's now and a 20 available for the 835. I cant ream/tap those overbored barrels for tubes so I cant shorten them myself.

You would think the over-bored barrels would lower the velocity and let more gas push out between the wad and the barrel. Kind of like a shot out rifle bore does to accuracy.

But, if it works....

You would think the over-bored barrels would lower the velocity and let more gas push out between the wad and the barrel. Kind of like a shot out rifle bore does to accuracy.

But, if it works....
It actually increases velocity per most tests I've seen. The shot cups expand enough to not loose pressure

Back