• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New JM Pro 22” - Here we go!

Good day everyone! Thank you to the admins as I am new to this site. Thought I would share my findings & mods with everyone here for current members and future ones too.

First off, I’m happy as a clam. Just brought home a new Mossberg 930 JM Pro 22”. Local shop added some lube, and put 150 rounds of Remington Small game load #6/1oz thought it to break it in, before I brought it home for its first cleaning.

Jerry Miculek has a great video to follow:

During this process I thought it would be good to test and show how dirty the piston and tube spacer can get and if an aftermarket piston and tube spacer could improve on this.

I will post my finding here and keep it updated as I go along. Mind you, I travel for work so I won’t be always testing...but when I am home let the fun begin.

Here are pics of what my piston and tube spacer looked after first disassembly:

073df70613f1b3b67b0467cbea909dbb.jpg
9fa3fd374915d6b18eb9962f532ceae4.jpg
e8ffadb9746908130ab538ffe8fc2eb6.jpg
624d08b853c87ff46b837edc94260bb3.jpg

Cleaned everything up and gave some things a polish for a perfect start:

f2a1085364940b35d4bcc4e040a3a61a.jpg

Cut out some grip tape:

9a21344a69a64be8f9463eea0a1f4966.jpg
5c6c81391580af7dee892cd64c049274.jpg

And done. Notice tape on stock grip, and Nordic rail:

6b990ddd4cfdfe84d9b0bd605a6b3c94.jpg
ede37b3af7f0d6c8a8fd89fedc79ac4b.jpg
90e01adb806a50595e028033241ea28c.jpg
8d9f062496b08e978138d3d39892f285.jpg

Things to come:

A SBE Precision Follower and End Cap extension are on their way. Going to get the piston after I put this stock one through some paces.

Holding off on the Or3Gun stuff for a little too. Really want to see how this performs.

New lifter on the way from Mossberg and sending that off to C-Rums or may check out a coupe shops here locally...want to get the loading port opened up more.

Well thanks for looking and looking forward to the results. May take some time but patience is a virtue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good. Keep the updates coming Sinewavz!!
Thanks Jmm. Will do.

Just ordered the Multi-use MST w/ Teflon, the CFR Anodized for twin/quad loading, EBR Tactile, and the sight Saddle optic from Or3Gun. Not going to install the MTS till I put the stock one thru some paces, then swap, and then make my own mods to the stock and see how they all compare.

Also ordered the HiViz TS1002 to see if I can use it as a rear for now. Ideally, I would like to keep the front bead sight for clays, and swap to a RDS on the side saddle for Open Comp. So stock bead with HiViz rear for tactical class, then swap it out to the saddle w a Venom or Burris RDS on it for Open class.

Right now, I’ve been searching around to find someone locally (San Diego, CA) to open my loading port more...hence the CFR from Or3Gun. Wanted to get that part before I did the loading port mod so it will be fitted perfectly.

Finally, sending out my Lifter for welding later this coming week to C-Rum unless I find anyone (again locally).

Really, the reason I am doing this is because I could not google enough info on mods, and what the outcome was for each mod to the JM Pro. Little bits here and there but not enough. So for those that own, or are looking into a JM Pro, please feel free to post here.

Last edited:
Other updates you may think about ...
You will need to update the bolt release pivot pin - it will break
I also radiused the shell lock lever to feed more reliably

Other updates you may think about ...
You will need to update the bolt release pivot pin - it will break
I also radiused the shell lock lever to feed more reliably

Have any pics of your shell lock lever mod? Love to see it.

Had a little time to test and adjust a couple things lately. Received a bunch of things and wanted to throw them in but I held back....one thing at a time.

Installed the SBE extended end cap (+1) with the stock follower. Loaded it up (dummy rounds) to check capacity/spring issues and zero issues. Now I’m rolling 9+1. Good add.

Was going to wait on the SBE follower, but I ran into a double feed during dummy round reload practice. The stock follower was catching on the bolt release, also causing the bolt release to angle.

53cd2411fe3e54ccd4192ddbe2bce4b6.jpg

This was fixed when I swapped out the stock follower for the SBE one. There was an obvious size difference but it fit beautifully and still 9+1.

3d021d64171574ff13cbc418f56e710a.jpg
439fa063c880dedd1683b49a49a4375b.jpg
02480eee69b2bd190ed919184f43734c.jpg
7b7bae7309b62935628d5f0a7facc695.jpg

Now that the bolt release button was straight, I could add the Or3gun tactile one. Fit perfectly, and easy to install. One screw and they provide the hex tool with it. Perfect! Another good add.

5a58065fba58404183250a8a06fec178.jpg
74ceb0b0846a9336864155a49e90a8b1.jpg
4049dd1352451f3f781f4624dacbd9b6.jpg
621dd06b4ce92b830d0cb887ff83fdb0.jpg

Oh yeah...and swapped the Forearm retainer out with the Or3gun double/quad anodized one. The stock one, as most people know is terrible...not snug at ALL. It was the first thing I noticed when I held the 930 for the first time. Mossberg should have built it right in the beginning or at least have fixed it by now.

d78ed49c513e2c31b1482dac7d2dbf5c.jpg
36738036ec195b4bd6e660ab942cbf24.jpg

Also received the extra carrier/lifter from Mossberg and sent it off to C-Rums. Got there yesterday and Jeff said a week turnaround so till then I’ve smoothed out the stock lifter as much as possible without changing it. Want to keep it JIC.

I’m liking what you’re doing here. I just got my 22” JM Pro last weekend. Quickie field test cycled all brands of $5/box Walmart ammo (5 rds. ea.), smashed all but 1 hand-thrown clay, then I head off to plug a few dove on opening day. About 150 rounds through it so far with only one malfunction from a Winchester cheap round where the rim of the shell failed at the extractor and the shell failed to eject. Upon further inspection of like empties, several other Winchesters were deformed on the rim at the extractor hookup too.

Anyways, my thumb nail has already been bitten by the lifter far too many times and the forend rattle is equally annoying. My factory MST has a burr on it already (may have been there before I shot it - who knows), but the gun is cycling low brass plenty fine. So, OR3GUN Multi Teflon MST and quad CFR ordered, SBE piston and follower ordered because it seems like the right thing to do, and that leaves the lifter, sights, and stock to address.

I bought this one NIB on the used market from a gent in Tulsa (if you’re on here, thanks again!), and it didn’t include the stock shim kit. Figured I’d try the factory parts before more OR3GUN stuff, so got that kit ordered ($25 from OFM) along with the giblets to run a stock length mag tube so my more cultured acquaintances don’t look at me quite as funny on the trap range.

Haven’t found any references to C-Rums yet, just SKY Tac for the lifter, so I’ll look into that.

Speaking of funny looks though, I’m really leaning hard toward the Leupold Deltapoint Pro on a Kengs mount for sights. I ran a Saiga 12 with a Primary Arms micro dot years ago and loved the setup. Not the sight itself so much as the sight picture. That decision will have to wait a few weeks, but we’re thinking a lot alike - thanks for sharing!

Edit: can you post a pic of the SBE mag extension installed too? My local shooting range went out of business last week, and choke tubes were 50% off. So, I bought an almost full set of extended Carlson choke tubes for the Mossy family. The extension ought to be about flush with an extended choke tube...

Hey Abyss! Sounds like you’ve got a good project going too. I haven’t updated this post in a sec just because I have been crazy busy. I’ll be sure to update it when I get back from this tour.

Here are pics of the SBE Nordic +1. My buddy gave me his Carlson breach choke so here it is for comparison on length.

Also C-Rums did a bang up job on my lifter. Good stuff. No more thumb challenges. Personally, I opted to ordered another one from Mossy, then sent that to C-Rums and it was back in my hands within a week from when it was received.

Next up is doing some work on the loading port....still haven’t touched it....yet.

81f5f56777ff7992e155b924b0911e19.jpg
76a794e1ea9b9f1fe28fa95897f72952.jpg
5b080a073f6da0e1c515d3892e571a3b.jpg

Hey Abyss! Sounds like you’ve got a good project going too. I haven’t updated this post in a sec just because I have been crazy busy. I’ll be sure to update it when I get back from this tour.

Here are pics of the SBE Nordic +1. My buddy gave me his Carlson breach choke so here it is for comparison on length.

Also C-Rums did a bang up job on my lifter. Good stuff. No more thumb challenges. Personally, I opted to ordered another one from Mossy, then sent that to C-Rums and it was back in my hands within a week from when it was received.

Next up is doing some work on the loading port....still haven’t touched it....yet.

What length barrel is that?

Not to be a master of the obvious or a flagrant smarta$$, but the thread is titled, "New JM Pro 22” - Here we go!"

Oops! I should have caught that. Was perusing the forum and ran across his pic of the Mag extension cap, which appeared to be on a shorter bbl. My apologies.

Back