• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Camp stoves and lanterns

My first time using the Dutch oven the proper way. Did a rump roast with potatoes and carrots, came out a touch dry. Didnt get to slow cook as long as I wanted though. Got pressed for time.
daed3540db1d912783ba46aabe0d348e.jpg
6b1c02cad0da6224c8d4df26b2c3f869.jpg
d4c24f4a2002ea91204164bdc678883e.jpg

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
Looks great, YUMM how much water did ya start with.

Apparently not enough. Maybe half a cup.

If I was in a covered wagon, crossing the great plains I'd give it a hard 9 though.

I'm going to give you guys a recipe for fresh fish that my Dad made up. Usually walleye or bass.

He always did it on a propane grill, but you could do it over open fire too, just not IN the fire.

First butter the foil on the inside where you're going to be broiling the fish. (Thanks for reminding me 6bennets).

Filet the fish. Cut up a little carrot if you like them. Peel the potato's and half or quarter them. You can also put in some onion if you'd like.

Sprinkle everything with Mrs. Dash and wrap everything somewhat tightly with aluminum foil and place on the top rack with low heat for about 25 to 30 minutes.

You don't need to add water. It will steam itself if you broil it slowly. Just don't have it directly in the flames.

Apparently not enough. Maybe half a cup.

If I was in a covered wagon, crossing the great plains I'd give it a hard 9 though.

I'm sure it was good. Cup of water and if you have put a large whole onion dont cut up just peel leave whole, it will put off moisture and baste for ya.

I'm going to give you guys a recipe for fresh fish that my Dad made up. Usually walleye or bass.

He always did it on a propane grill, but you could do it over open fire too, just not IN the fire.

Filet the fish. Cut up a little carrot if you like them. Peel the potato's and half or quarter them. You can also put in some onion if you'd like.

Sprinkle everything with Mrs. Dash and wrap everything somewhat tightly with aluminum foil and place on the top rack with low heat for about 25 to 30 minutes.

You don't need to add water. It will steam itself if you broil it slowly. Just don't have it directly in the flames.
I've done some fish very similar style before. It comes out right nice.

Fish is great in the hobo meal configuration, (slow cooked in a tight foil pouch). Same with chicken, beef, etc.

One thing I've learned is that anything that is better browned goes on the bottom. That naturally means onions and garlic, but one overlooked veggie that is great browned is carrots! Peel, cut in half for length, then cut in half to split them. Butter the foil and lay them center-down to make a platform. Put the rest of your dinner on top and seal it up.

The natural sweetness in carrots gets magnified when it gets brown, or even black.

Cubed beef, taters, garlic, onions, and carrots. Sprinkle with instant beef gravy for a beef stew.

Fish, rice, Mr Dash as mentioned above, and carrots.

Chicken breasts, Italian dressing, rice or leftover al dente pasta, canned peas on a bed of carrots.

We freeze hobo meals before going camping, and use them as they defrost. So versatile.

PicsArt_06-03-12.55.30.jpg

That's right 6bennetts.

I totally forgot to mention about buttering the foil before wrapping everything in it. I'll go back and edit that in.

I wouldn't want to carry any of my glass kerosene lamps in the woods camping but have been known to pack a lantern on occasion.

I will also put citronella oil like you can get for those tiki torches in the lamp I keep on the porch to keep skeeters away. It smokes up a little more if you have a big flame, but works well for what it does.

l4XaWRF.jpg

I'll try that next time. I usually slice half an onion, and put it on the bottom.

The wife just told me she always checks periodically and maintains at least 2 inches of liquid in pot using the DO on campfire, she also said she uses either chicken or beef stock for liquid.
You got me hankering for some iron kettle goodness , so today I'm gonna do something on a fire, post to follow later.....

The wife just told me she always checks periodically and maintains at least 2 inches of liquid in pot using the DO on campfire, she also said she uses either chicken or beef stock for liquid.
You got me hankering for some iron kettle goodness , so today I'm gonna do something on a fire, post to follow later.....
Well, is it still cooking? Or what

My most recent aquirement, a 1954 Coleman 200A. Yes, i cheated and bought it from the Bay. In my defense I had been looking for a 54 for awhile. Why 54? Same year as my old Fordson tractor that i dearly love, and my logic is if im going to start collecting vintage, i may as well have a common denominator.
4454c7ee3fd951741a07b953bb9f9f74.jpg
084f992eafd4d9465f79f2b1a4379f1b.jpg

Finally got the 425 fired up, had to replace the leather pump cup. This vintage is before they started dating stoves, but the original 425 was made 47-53. Once I replaced the pump cup, reassembled, and added fuel she fired right up. I found I need a fuel cap seal, which a good friend of mine, who is an avid Coleman collecter is sending me.

And my new griddle I got for christmas fits nicely. I know how I'm making breakfast this weekend. :)
41fe8af0d7e846105ac3215742ff8f5c.jpg
740e8bc3bb0f428259b410d127f0ddf1.jpg

Finally got the 425 fired up, had to replace the leather pump cup. This vintage is before they started dating stoves, but the original 425 was made 47-53. Once I replaced the pump cup, reassembled, and added fuel she fired right up. I found I need a fuel cap seal, which a good friend of mine, who is an avid Coleman collecter is sending me.

And my new griddle I got for christmas fits nicely. I know how I'm making breakfast this weekend. :)
41fe8af0d7e846105ac3215742ff8f5c.jpg
740e8bc3bb0f428259b410d127f0ddf1.jpg

Thats a beauty, bet some good grocery gonna be prepared soon

Back