• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500 Trophy Slugster into 8 round home defence gun

Im planing on starting a project on my 500 turning it into a 8 round HD shotgun but I'm also going to keep the wood stock and forearm also keeping the 5 round magazine tube and slug barrel so I can switch back to a deer gun when its time. On the HD upgrade I want 18 1/2 inch barrel with plain bead sight a heat shield I'm also going all out and getting a bayonet lug from Tacstar I believe is the company that makes it but it also has a couple rails for a light etc. I'm going for a trench gun look but Mossberg style .what do you guys think .also what heat shield do you recommend brand ?also what is the easiest way to get the magazine tube off .

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

Not sure what you are trying to end up with.???

When using an 18 1/2" barrel you use a 5 round tube. In order to use a 7 round tube you need a 20" barrel.

Easy way to remove mag tube is either a hair dryer or a heat gun.

Of course you can always keep the shorter magazine tube to put back on for deer season if that's what you want to do, but you may also just make a longer limiter (plug) from a wooden dowel while keeping the longer magazine tube in place too. Here is how you could do that. The video shows how to remove it, but should give you the jist of what you'd need to do to insert a longer one that you make to limit your capacity to comply with state hunting regs.

As for replacing the original magazine tube, they are often loctited in place, which needs to be heated up to break the bond. You don't usually have to heat it up with a cutting torch or anything that extreme. Often times even a small heat gun will heat it up enough. And then simply unscrew it.

I used a strap wrench on mine far away from where I was heating it so I didn't melt my plastic strap wrench. You could also wrap several layers of duct tape around the far outer edge of the tube and probably use channel locks to try to prevent from scratching or marring or deforming the tube. But a strap wrench and some heat worked for me. It just unscrews out of the receiver.

Ok 20 inch barrel that's what I meant to say

I have a 20" like-new setup with barrel, mag tube/spring and heat guard I would consider selling. I'm thinking $160ish shipped depending on your location. I'll have to dig it out to take a picture ONLY if you are interested, though.

Won't let me message pics to you. Pic is of it wrapped--I KNOW I have pics of before I wrapped it. I've been thinking I'm going to keep it as it includes EVERYTHING forward of the receiver inc. slide tube and fore end.

Attachments

• 20in500setup.jpg
    20in500setup.jpg
    526.6 KB · Views: 11
Back