• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

$1000 to spend... what should I do????

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
I do not own a Garand but would like to. I know I won't shoot a butt ton of ammo thru it. And when I pass away my wife and kids really would not care that it is a Garand. If I shoot 500 rounds thru it at short range it would be a miracle.

Here is what I would be looking at::: The RM1 SERVICE for $750. Delivered to my door. And I would also be in for a bunch of ammo.

For similar money I could buy a crap ton of decent .22LR and spend years shooting it up at my home range of 25~150-yards. I have several .22LR pistols and rifles.

OR"""" for the same money I could get a HENRY Color Case hardened lever gun in .45-70 or .357 Maggie. And a $250 ammo budget for .45-70 to get into brass and dies and moulds. I can shoot .357 Maggie right now.

Range is not that long.

What Say You??????????

I do not own a Garand but would like to. I know I won't shoot a butt ton of ammo thru it. And when I pass away my wife and kids really would not care that it is a Garand. If I shoot 500 rounds thru it at short range it would be a miracle.

Here is what I would be looking at::: The RM1 SERVICE for $750. Delivered to my door. And I would also be in for a bunch of ammo.

For similar money I could buy a crap ton of decent .22LR and spend years shooting it up at my home range of 25~150-yards. I have several .22LR pistols and rifles.

OR"""" for the same money I could get a HENRY Color Case hardened lever gun in .45-70 or .357 Maggie. And a $250 ammo budget for .45-70 to get into brass and dies and moulds. I can shoot .357 Maggie right now.

Range is not that long.

What Say You??????????

Get the Henry in .357. If it is a fun gun, go less expensive and then you will be able to take Mama Cat out to dinner. Bury the rest in a tin can under the back porch.

I know that you like the 357. We both have a lot in common there.

But you already have the HR to scratch that itch.

A case hardened 45-70 would look awesome in your gun cabinet. But after a while, that's probably where it would stay more than anywhere else.

Of all of the ones you mentioned, the Garand would be my first pick. And a really nice compliment to the M14 too. And if your wife and kids wouldn't appreciate them as much as you, I might know a guy that would. ;)

As for 22lr, now that it's available again, I've been buying some when I have a few extra dollars. I have finally started to get a lot of it replaced that got shot up during the sandy shortage.

22lr and 7.62x39 are the only two calibers that I still buy commercially. Everything else has been reloaded for a couple of years now. I can't reload 22's and the x39 is still cheap, so I still buy it.

Would you be interested in a Fal? They don't call it the right arm of the free world for nothing. I could get you some current pics if you'd like.

I agree with John on the color case hardened Henry. I have the brass 45-70. Shot it once and put it in the safe. It sure looks good in there and is a nice addition to the collection.

I do like the color case look though and would probably add that if I could. Sine I already have a 45-70 I would go with that since I have ammo already.

Few years ago I’d say garand. But since I’ve been building AR15 and AR9 and soon to be AR45.... I just enjoy the shit out of PCC right now and building them.

I’ll vote .357 maggies from your list.

If Garand - go .308. Serious. Way better shooter and you can shoot commercial ammo with it.

I'm gonna vote for the Garand. Even if you dont shoot it much, it will be enjoyable to shoot when you do. I feel like it's one of the firearms every collector should have.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

I have a truly fun .357 Magnum Handi Rifle and I absolutely love it. It is short and light and just a hoot to shoot.

I realized that getting into .45-70 would take a lot of money and effort to reload, and also use up my lead wheel weight stores at a much faster rate.

There is a shoe box of .44 Special once fired brass out in the garage, and I can buy .44 Magnum brass either as loaded ammo or virgin brass for a fraction of .45-70 brass or ammo.

The .45-70 has a very heavy octagon barrel, it is like a nine pound rifle unloaded. Ten loaded.

The .45-70 has a pistol grip stock and I really prefer a straight stock

So I made a decision and Friday I bought a Henry Carbine Steel in .44 Magnum.

It weighs 6-1/2 pounds, has a much lighter round barrel profile, has absolutely gorgeous cut checkered American Walnut, Shoots Magnums or Specials, and would make a fantastic hog gun in the woods and national forests around here. I can carry it all day.

I veered from the original question didn't I?

Thanks for all your opinions and thoughts!

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/henry-big-boy-steel/

It looks like a great choice. Should thump those hogs really good.

Plus, I really like Henry rifles.

I don't want to hijack your topic, but I'd like to share a little story with you that you may appreciate hearing.

When I had first gotten my FFL's, my Mom and Dad had stopped by the shop while I was getting everything set up and before I opened the store. While they were there, Mom asked to see a little rifle that was setting up on the glass case. I hadn't even gotten it out of the box yet. It was a Henry lever action 22.

Needless to say, she took that rifle home with her that evening and she was the very first NICS check that I ever called in.

I have some video of her, my youngest uncle and me shooting it up above the graveyard that I put on DVD and keep in the safe. You can't ask for any better time or memories than that my friend.

Congrats on a really nice rifle nitesite! I’m a lever fan too! Let us know how it shoots, I’m hoping to be in the market for another one.

I’ve been eyeballing the Marlin 1895 in 45-70 for a few years now. But I could be persuaded away by the right gun. I love shooting my model 94 in 30-30...such a soft shooter and accurate too.

Looking forward to a range report when you have some time.

So I made a decision and Friday I bought a Henry Carbine Steel in .44 Magnum

I think you made a good decision. I see a lot of .44spl in your future... ;)

I traded a Hi-Point 9mm carbine and a few mags for a Henry .22 base model plus $100 in my pocket. Nice gun and like new. Put Hi-Vis fiber pipe sights on it for $20ish. Toyed with a big loop lever but $45 was a little more than I wanted to spend. It is accurate enough that it could use a scope--probably put a 4X on it once I figure out where I put the rings I bought for it... :rolleyes: I think it holds 15 LRs but is a pure "hi-cap" gun when loaded with 21 .22 shorts... :D

PS: spend the rest of the G-note on ammo...

So today I bought another 50-rd box of Winchester 240-gr Magnum ammo making that 100 rounds of loaded ammo for brass. I have about the same amount of brass in Special and I have already tumbled that nicely. Of course I have primers and powder and Thursday there are 600 bullets coming in.

I'm close to having the fun start!

So today I bought another 50-rd box of Winchester 240-gr Magnum ammo making that 100 rounds of loaded ammo for brass. I have about the same amount of brass in Special and I have already tumbled that nicely. Of course I have primers and powder and Thursday there are 600 bullets coming in.

I'm close to having the fun start!

I don't want to see another post until you produce pictures and video.... you beautiful bald badass

That's going to be a real fun gun I suspect although I've never shot much .44 mag.

I think I'm going to spend some time with the 22 magnum Henry. I haven't shot nearly enough ammunition through that puppy yet.

I loaded up a ton of wad-cutters for the .357 lever gun, but it's too much for the Italian Cowboy 6 shooter. I'm shooting the thing apart!

Back