• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 Lever Action Photo Gallery

I think I might take the scope off and put a red dot on it. A flashlight is in it's future. This is the first firearm I've ever owned that is just a play thing.

Here's my Davidson's 464. I didn't get the scope.

I have it torn down here because I'm working on the action.
Out of the box it needed some 'smithing, and after a few hours of dressing and polishing, the action is much improved.

That silver finish is rough, and wherever it lies on a wear surface I polished it down or removed it. Not every surface, but mostly I concentrated on the bolt, the bolt lock (Mossberg incorrectly calls it the lock bolt) and the internal receiver surfaces.

Do people with the black models notice this?

If Mossberg spent a little more on this gun in the factory, I think it would be a much more popular one on the street, and they could sell it for more money.
DSCF8811.JPG

I know I posted this elsewhere, but here's a pic of the 464 with a scope mounted. That's a 1960s model Tasco 4x on a customized Thompson Encore style bracket from Weaver. Rings are Leupold.

20160206_230427.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, they do a nice job with the fitting don't they? :)

I'd run an oily patch down the feed tube and see what comes up. Mine had some dusty rust right from the factory.
They must be selling them right down to the bottom of the stack these days.

I'd run an oily patch down the feed tube and see what comes up. Mine had some dusty rust right from the factory.

Just resting after a hard day of runnin back and forth. Had to go to 3 places, only 2 places but there are 3 and I got the wrong one the first try...to get my phone looked at. Then I got the rifle across town then back to the phone place. Then back home. 25 miles from home and another back, with about 20 in town. ( I had to go the long way around Gander Mountain because I know what happens.) I got the bore nice and clean and I just hosed down the innards and the bolt. I let it dry a bit and wiped it down and ran the action about 30 times. It got dry and I Rem oiled the rail and sides and top of the bolt, the trigger assembly and lever pins and pivots. It is pretty smooth. I did not feel any real rough stuff but it is tight and new and I am sure it will smooth up even more.

It feels great. I like the iron sights too. I got the Williams sights on this one. I have seen in the pictures that the Marble open sight is offered also. I like these. Very solid and. I just happen to have an exact look alike Williams with a replaceable rear sight insert. It is not only adjustable via some screws for windage but also has a screw type elevation adjustment. The dovetail is secured with a set screw and that too helps with windage. The rear sight is replaceable with higher or lower insert. Depending on the front sight height, you order the rear sight insert to match the front sight bead height. I got it for my muzzleloader.

I will make sure it is clean before I mount the scope and I may shoot a few with the open sight before I do that. I will definitely clean the tube. I had to do that to the Marlin and it too was all gunky.

Last edited:
I have the Williams sights on the 464 and the XDS-9, and they work great for me.
I have the Marbles on my Henry and hate them.

I put gun grease on the underside of the bolt, where the hammer rubs. Hoppe's isn't quite good enough to last there.
4 or 5 shots & it's rubbed off.

Honda Moly60 60% moly grease is really good, but about $30 for a small 3oz tube.

I'm using some extreme pressure Mazda CV joint grease, which works OK.
You get about 30 shots before it wears off.

Yep. Looked like baby dirtied her diaper...a couple times.

Look forward to your report hombre:)

As soon as I can get her out I will get some target pics and a range report. I had to wait for the rifle to get here so I could set my loads to the gun. I always make sure the shells cycle before I load a batch of ammo. I usually have good luck that way with the different nose shapes. Some need to go deeper than others and if I know that here I can adjust the charge to offset the higher pressure from seating the bullet deeper. Seems to work well for me.

Well, I havent posted many pictures but here's my SPX. Love this damn thing.

c9d7fb42e03295d19895017874798659.jpg

80001ae5756804398e8e0b9529eefa23.jpg

004680c163f19ea4f7c41e346b82ba85.jpg

56c5b1676b39b91a6f0e72cfc55fd78b.jpg

4c75c4a02b9efeab3a69c2d6b4d13de7.jpg

dfb0f1153052c1bf537f35120fdb9786.jpg

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I believe the 464 takes a bit of TLC, but its a heck of a gun. My buddy hates Mossberg's because his 500 shotgun jammed up on him all the time and he traded it. I think he was being heavy-handed with a brand new gun.

I did the same thing with my 464, and I put scuffs & divots in the silver coating which caused a lot of drag and friction on the action.

My advice for new owners is go gently & beware of the feed situation as you cycle the gun. Mine has had a few hundred rounds through it now and I have polished the action up with Scotchbrite and oil.

The feeding is solid and tight and it shoots pretty accurately compared to my Buddy's Winchester .30-30. His Winchester is a very nice old gun from 1965, but after shooting the 464 he's developed a new respect for my Mossberg.

Be very gentle with it during the break-in procedure! If it jams and you try to force it the least little bit you will scar the coating inside of the action. This will cause an extended break in. And only really relieved by polishing the inside of the action to remove the offending scar.

Back