• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 chambering issue

ybrik

Folks, need your help on this one.
I'm having a chambering jam/hang-up on this 590A1 only when using live ammo 12G 2 3/4.
In a box of 25 ammo, it will happen 2 or 3 times.
But when I try to replicate it with snap caps loading them on the magtube, it doesn't have a hang-up. I even tried to cycle and chamber even pointing the muffle downwards and it feeds and eject smoothly.

This happens only when I load the ammo in the ejection port and rack the slide forward.

You need to replicate it with the snap caps being loaded in the ejection port, like your occasional live ammo rounds.

How exactly does the shell "jamb/hang-up"?

With what ammo are you having this problem?

The shell jams up exactly as shown in the vid.
This happened on Winchester dove-clay and S&B slug.

So I replicated it this time loading the snap caps on the chamber. It loaded successfully everytime I racked the slide forward. I even tried with the A1 pointing down, so the snapcap would be way forward the elevator. Even the rifle pointing upwards where the snapcap is all the way back the elevator. All good on these tests.
So I was thinking the condition that happened on the vid could be the crimp at the front on the ammo somehow catched and didn't slide forward along the elevator causing the bolt face ram the back of the cartridge.

Does the tab on the lifter catch the front edge of the shell? I’ve never had a fail to feed in 10 years of abuse on mine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 8
So upon further inspection, I dropped a 12g round into the ejection port in the elevator/lifter. When I slide the round by hand forward and background, there is a bit resistance. So that is from the inside part of the lifter in contact with the edge of the brass. When I do this with the snap cap, it is much smoother, for some reason that is an annodized aluminum. I tilt the A1 up and down, the snap cap round would slide back and forth. But with a live round, it doesn't, and just remains where it's at.
Does this mean I have to polish the inside of the lifter? I haven't tried doing one. And this lifter is parkerized.

Why i asked about the side saddle was because some people screw them on a bit to hard and squeese the aluminium receiver making it harder for things to operate :)

Try the finest sandpaper you got and try remove the roughest areas on the lift

So I used 1000~1500 grit sandpaper to deburr/smoothen both inside arms of the elevator.
Cl2wost.jpg

HOu1qTG.jpg

Vf7fMvv.jpg

Upon disassembly, it tried to check if the round would slide freely but noooopee it didn't:

After deburring:

I had an old elevator that mossberg replaced due to cracked elevator tabs/posts here:
http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/590a1-cracked-elevator-posts.17658/

Then after receiving this replacement, I had this chambering issue.
I still had the old elevator and the insides were smooth and the rounds used to slide everytime.

So I would need a range trip or trap shoot to test this fix, but I am hoping I have addressed this issue.

Back