• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Modify default Mossberg 590 stock

fellmann

Esoteric
Supporter
As the title says, im in for a second run of modifying my default stock to the 590.
What is it made of ? Ive heard fiberglass ? If i add fiberglass putty, will it stay ? and not just fall off ? lol
I'm adding aprox 1cm to the height and widening it a bit.. i have added one layer, but got worried :/

Last edited:
After a second layer. My stock look like this now.... jesus ! No return now...

20191026_000943_1024.jpg

Need to borrow a small sanding machine tomorrow and buy more putty, finer putty.

What i have done is that the stock end is cut a bit more, a triangle cut. Zero at the bottom and aprox 1 cm ? at the top. Now the stock end will hopefully be 90 degrees to the barrel center to "reduce" recoil. The putty is put on top of the stock in another triangle, aprox 1cm at the back and zero at the front so it also will be more straight and somewhat paralell to the center of the barrel. This is so it wont matter where on the stock i put my cheek, it wont change the sightline ( default it slopes down ).

The default recoilpad can be used as i move it up and make new holes. When i first cut the stock i could use the default holes but had a tip hanging out of the bottom of the stock. See "illustration" image at the bottom.

Hope you understand :)

20191024_031815_800.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, what did that poor stock ever do to YOU??? Just kidding, good luck, I wouldn't have the skills to even try what you are doing, hope it turns out functionally well, and as a bonus, looks better then what it does right now.

I dare doing this because its the default synthetic stock and i can get a new one for aprox 30 bucks :)
I want to be as effective with my rifle as possible and i have to tweak it

Last edited:
Is that fiberglass-reinforced body filler? We used to call that "Tiger Hair". Should work out OK for you. A surform ("cheese grater") tool is handy for rough shaping while filler is still "soft". Otherwise I would use a belt sander (since I have two already...) ;).

belta648.jpg

Alright..

One quick qestion: The top of the receiver is paralell with the barrel center, right ?

Normally it should be if a scope mounts to it but a lot of long-distance rifles are incorporating a cant of 20^ (for example) to account for the arc of the projectile (ie: above the optical range of the scope).

rea.JPG

Its getting better... working slow on the stock atm.

Question: When im drilling new holes for the buttpad, will the fiberglass putty be sufficient to hold the screws/buttpad or do i need to reinforce it somehow around the screws ?

20191103_160357_1024.jpg

20191103_160312_800.jpg

The black on top of the stock is from a marker pen

20191103_160249_1024.jpg

Last edited:
Looking much better now. Subscribing so I can see how it turns out in the end.

I am screwed :angry:

Just a moment ago:
This is going well, ill show them i can finish this ( making holes for the buttpad so i can use the finer putty and make it nice around the buttpad )

Well... drilled and started to screw..
oh, there is a crack.. wtf.. unscrew..
oh, the putty inside the stock have released from the stock.. wtf..

F.. this ! What is this shit stock made of ?!
Yes, i rugged/sanded the surface before applying stuff. Maybe it contains to much soft/fat plastics ?

Will probably try to save what can be saved and remove this putty shit so i can at least use it..
Cant afford a new stock right now..

20191105_194924_1024.jpg

20191105_194840_1024.jpg

Just pulled this shit out .. :angry:

20191105_200619_800.jpg

Last edited:
Well, back to the drawing board. That didn't seem to adhere well. The two contact surfaces look pretty smooth. I know you said that you roughed it up some, but still looks pretty smooth.

If it's any consolation to you at all, I was doing some body work on a 1982 ford ranger with some bondo when I was much younger. I came back the next morning to sand it, and quickly found out that there is such thing as not using enough hardener. :laugh:

Have you ever tried to remove semi-cured bondo from your working surface?

I won't go into all the fine details, but I will say that it was so much fun that I still don't want to talk about it.

I believe i did use enough harderner.. it hardened pretty fast and the mix got very warm.
I feel the surface and it feels "fat" you know, that soft plastic oil feeling ?
I think thats the bandit in the game, but im no expert :(
Well, better luck next time. Wish the stock was made out of wood :)

Back to square.. 2 ! At least i can keep the buttpad angle :D

Fired up Back to the Future part II and started carving. It was to late to use a sanding machine.
Was almost done when the movie ended. I could peel off the last pieces with the knife.
Stock handle is all black because of my sweaty hands :D

Sanding and painting it tomorrow !

20191106_004630_1024.jpg

Last edited:
As John mentioned, the surface you were trying to fill looks "smooth". I haven't done "bondo" work in a while but I routinely use a product call JB Kwik Weld, black and white epoxy makes grey. I will take a utility knife and "carve" a cross hatch into the areas to be bonded. The miracles of modern science.

As for your butt pad screw insert, I've posted a picture of the swivel stud insert from a "Remington" (H&R 1871) stock. Something like the insert could be utilized as long as it has enough texture on the outside for epoxy or filler to "grip" to.

swivelinsert.jpg

All contact surfaces was well sanded before doing business.. Maybe its me, maybe its material or maybe its both ?
Anyway, i am happy its still usable :D Maybe i will get a wood stock in the future, handmade for me

Thanks for all input guys :)

Last edited:
One color.. or Camo.. on Stock / Forend ?

Sanded... again :)

20191106_114107_800.jpg

After one layer of primer...

20191106_143952_800.jpg

After one layer of Coyote Brown

20191106_211702_800.jpg

My phone camera hates the color black atm.

Last edited:
I fu...ing HATE THIS STOCK !!!!!!!!!! Nothing seem to stick to it.. Epoxi.. Glue... Fiberglass putty.. Paint..

15f87cec9eff1631e136c064bd384c80.jpg

Back