• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Snake Ammo for 410 Shockwave

QB Too

.22LR
I'm a Mossberg owner again after many years. Just purchased a 410 Shockwave for the sole purpose of shooting poisonous snakes (if necessary) while on my sister's property. I chose the 410 due to my joint issues from arthritis, osteo, degenerative disc disease (you name it). I can certainly shoot a 12 or 20 gauge but it plays havoc on my poor old joints. And I think a 410 will certainly blast a snake. I should have my Shockwave in a couple of weeks.

I've read up on ammo for snakes and recommendations range from #9 (or #12 if it could be found) all the way to #4 and #6. The type of poisonous snakes they have are rattlesnakes, copperheads, coral snakes and cottonmouth.

If anyone with a Shockwave 410 uses it for killing snakes, what is the best ammo to purchase? A variety of #9, #4 and #6 or all #8 or what? I'm afraid I'm a bit confused. I would be shooting the snake certainly within 5-7 yards in all probability.

Any brands of 410 ga to stay away from?

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Just about any size smaller than a 6 shot will do just fine.

I would prefer 8 1/2 or even 9 shot. (more small pellets).

Yep, there is something about the subdivision where they live (Rockdale, TX)...everyone kills venomous snakes in their yard every year. It's a subdivision out in the country with pastureland surrounding it. I think the snakes come to the house for water and possible pet food. I haven't been to my sister's house for over a year, it's just too creepy that the snakes come right up to the house/porches. Their dogs get bitten but the "humans' haven't yet although it's only a matter of time I think. I'm actually not sure there have been any water mocs, but for sure copperheads, rattlesnakes and coral snakes.

For crawling snakes I would go with Federal`s #6 or #7 in 3 inch.....For two legged snakes I would step up to 000 buck.

I ordered some #7 1/2, #8 and #9 but all in the 2 1/2 shells. I'll add some 3" shells in #6 and #7. I don't plan on using this for any two legged snakes but if that changes I'll pick up some 000 buck.

Thanks all.............

Yep, there is something about the subdivision where they live (Rockdale, TX)...everyone kills venomous snakes in their yard every year. It's a subdivision out in the country with pastureland surrounding it. I think the snakes come to the house for water and possible pet food. I haven't been to my sister's house for over a year, it's just too creepy that the snakes come right up to the house/porches. Their dogs get bitten but the "humans' haven't yet although it's only a matter of time I think. I'm actually not sure there have been any water mocs, but for sure copperheads, rattlesnakes and coral snakes.
I used to raise reptiles along with dogs, cats, fish, etc. Never learned of any North American snake that ate dead/cold food. Snakes eat live prey like rodents, other reptiles and insects. Rodents might be attracted to water and anything they like to eat such as pet food. Snakes hunt and eat the rodents, often searching for nests. Most American snakes do not produce venom unlike Australia and Asia where people still co-exist with snakes.

Adult venomous snakes conserve their venom for their next live meal, not usually for defense. Snakes do not attack prey larger than they can swallow. Rattlers warn other animals rather than waste bite and venom on non-food. Cottonmouths open wide to scare intruders but rarely bite non-prey.

Venomous coral snakes are greatly outnumbered by harmless snakes that mimic coral snake stripes for protection. I raised both species and learned to tell the difference. Nobody wants coral snakes in their yard but killing all snakes means being overrun with rodent pests. Snakes are NOT attracted to pets or pet food. Rats are. Gophers love gardens and lawns. Mice love warm cozy houses. Snakes just hunt rodents they can swallow whole.

You can help your family by learning about local snake species and anti-venom. Control rodent populations where possible. Rodents carry many diseases that harm humans; reptiles not much. Snakes help control rodents but most contact with humans and pets are accidental. That said, I was struck on the arm by a juvenile snake one foggy morning in my back yard while uncoiling a water hose on the ground. No major damage. Rodents were attracted to bird seed from my feeders. I trapped the rodents and snakes stopped hunting in my backyard. Problem solved.

I wonder if 45 Long Colt shot cartridges would work in the SW? LINK
I was down in Texas a few years ago and made up 25 or so 45 LC snake loads with #8 shot. At about 8 feet they peppered a pop can. I would say they should do an ok job of killing a snake.

Klystron - yes, I misspoke. The water and pet food would draw rodents which draw snakes. I guess in my sister's case, it would be water because they don't leave out pet food.

My mother was bitten twice on the hand by a copperhead and she was in the hospital awhile with a very swollen arm which was on the verge of cutting off blood circulation. It finally stopped swelling before they had to operate. She was weeding her flowerbed and it must have been hiding in the flowers.

My brother was bitten on the heel by a cottonmouth while helping my dad clear some vines.

I know snakes don't outright hunt you down and attack, but still, I'm just horrified of them after seeing my mother's bites.

There is no such thing as a safe snake on my property. I usually won't kill green snakes, or if I dig up a ground snake, I may not get him if I haven't already chopped him in two with a mattock or a hoe, but most any other kind, is gonna die.

FWIW, I also kill wasper and hornets and yellow jacket nests and every black widow spider that I see too. I don't like them around the house either.

Id bet there is no ammo made for the 410 that wont kill a snake very dead very easy, maybe even as good as an old rusty shovel.:oldman:

Ahhh, the trusty shovel. My mother always used a HOE...yikes, too close for me. In the late 1970s I was a waterfront director at a Girl Scout Sailing Camp on Lake Texoma. One night a camper saw a snake and yelled "HOE" which was the code for snake. I was the lucky one to have to go check it out. We were instructed to leave it alone and call the naturalist and have her tell us to kill or spare the snake. I had no idea what kind it was and was just standing by it about 2-3 feet away with "hoe in hand" while a camper kept a flashlight on it. The naturalist, Daisy, showed up and immediately said "kill it, it's a copperhead". OMG, I swung the hoe and it hit a limb and I missed and Daisy said "get it, get it". The camper and I ran through the woods with flashlight and hoe in hand and by golly I got it!!! And then I had to bury it!!!!

Afterwards I was shaking like a leaf, thinking I had just been leisurely standing by it. We never saw another snake that summer but then we were mainly on the water sailing.

As a young girl I also nearly stepped on a rattlesnake that was crossing my path as we were walking our horses. My friends father quickly dispatched that snake.

That's about all my poisonous snake stories but enough to horrify me....LOL.

Back