• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Good morning Mossberg owners, & first a mea culpa.

The .308 Ruger is not my longest rifle.

That is certainly the stainless Savage varminter which is .223 caliber.

I've been shooting 75 grain Hornady match-grade boatails over Varget Powder in various amounts. I don't recall exactly but it is the maximum recommended charge in my Lee manual.

Anyhow I did not shoot a varminter today but I did get my new .308 + scope out to the range and I did some function testing. I shot the dingers but it was too windy to put up a paper Target. Because of that I didn't touch this knobs on the scope and all I did was estimate the powers of my home loads and the estimated bullet drop at 400 yards for each formula.

In this photo the first big berm is at 60 yards, then 110 yards, then a small berm off to the right at 185, a small berm in the middle at 225, a dugout slightly to the left at 300 yards and another dugout in the far middle at about 400.
20191214_125640.jpg

Here is the .308 which is evidently short enough to put in my lever gun case if I push the upholstery around.
20191214_133103.jpg

I shot that today and the 45 ACP.

I was very happy with that new Zeiss scope although I think it does have a bit of chromatic aberration. I haven't played with all the adjustments yet.

I played with it at 6x, 16x, and 24x and it was pretty amazing as far as having a super sharp reticle and a nice focus.

Basically I screwed this business together carefully in the garage and did not bore sight it at all.

If you zoom the photograph above there is a red silhouette dinger made of armor plate at 380+ yds. It would be the size of a small man's chest.

The amazing thing was that I hit that Dinger on the second shot, after simply putting one in the dirt and seeing where it went.

And it was very obvious at just 16x how far I was going to have to lob my homemade bullets to hit that dinger.

I tried several formulas and it was anywhere from 6 feet of drop to about 18 in. None of them seemed anywhere close to hot enough to concern me in this rifle. But then I was working with fairly soft charges, all the way up to a mid-power charge.

I haven't approached any hot charges or fat bullets yet.

I did try the scope at 24 power but it doesn't seem necessary for what I was doing, which was theoretical man hunting at 400 yards.

Theoretical squirrel hunting at 400 yards will require an adjustment I am sure.

;)

Of course we still talking about paper here as I do not hunt animals anymore except for fish.

What caliber is the varminter? I've been contemplating another rifle, perhaps a 6.5/243 or some variation thereof. I want something accurate and fun that doesn't beat me to death. I have a 45-70 for that. :laugh:

.223 and I love it out to maybe 300 yards. Thereafter I'll want the .308.

I thought about the 6.8 or 6.5 when I bought the .308, but they're too close to .223.

Last edited:
Good morning gentlemen. Awoke this morning to the sound of loud thunder. Several large ones that seemed like they were right over top of the house.

Temp about 50*F

Front has came up from the south in the gulf of mexico and warmed up the atmosphere and obviously bringing in some rain.

We're under a flood warning and expected to get about 3 inches, which would be pretty bad since we just had snow and the ground is already saturated with nowhere for it to go but to run off. I'm hoping the weatherman missed the forecast, otherwise, there will likely be mudslides since there are a lot of cliffs around here.

Good morning all. 31 and cloudy here. Looks like it will be about the same all day. We have had some freezing rain, and the forecast calls for a chance of more until 6pm. I don't see a lot of traffic out, but what there is seems to be driving cautiously.

Ya'll have a great day and stay safe.

Good morning Mossberg owners.
Today is cool and slightly overcast and we are supposed to get a Sprinkle of rain later.

The stock market has shot up again to a new high this morning. Woohoo!

I never thought, as a child, that I would grow up to watch the stock market and have Investments.

This new run up is because clearly everybody understands now that the Democrats have absolutely nothing on the president and he's going to skate out of this more popular than ever.

I try to think about where we would be right now, and where I would be right now personally, if Hillary had been elected president.

I find that I just don't want to imagine such things!

The Horowitz testimony was pretty amazing, plus I saw the interview with James Comey and it sure looks like his imagination got away from him.

Drain that swamp Mr. Trump! Pump that mud out until they all dry up in the Sun and shrivel!

Good morning friends. Cloudy and 26 this morning, but no precip. High today about 40 and a warming trend through the weekend.

If Hillary had been elected we would have had no investigations into Russia meddling, North Korea would still be testing nukes. The middle east would be a bigger mess than it is now, and hundreds of thousands of Muslims would be pouring into this country each year. Ukraine would probably be back in the Russian fold, and China would have taken Hong Kong by force. Of course I have no proof of this but it sounds reasonable to me.

On a brighter note, we also would not have the clown parade of Democrats running for president.

Have a great day and be vigilant.

Good Morning Mossberg Owners.
The DMV has enrolled me in Medicare automatically. It's like the motor-voter act. If you have a license or registration, they just slam you.

Lots of folks complained when DMV registered them in some other party automatically.
The Medicare thing should be interesting . . .

The news sure is. Each day the market rises.
Every night the lib media predicts another crash.

The DOW will plunge! A stock market melt down coming! Millions will die!

And yet almost every day we hit new records.

To explain this they've coined a bit of propaganda called "the melt up".
The market will quickly rise and rise until somehow everything will get worse, because we're all competing to invest in a terrific market, and nobody new can afford to get in on it.

Like all the folks who bet against the market, latecomers can be locked out bigtime.
We lucky ones who bet on the Trump market (by staying in during 2015-2016 and beyond) get the payout.**

The continuing risk is that with lots of people making big commitments, it's likely possible to pull the rug out from below.
The House Dems have been trying for years now with all their doom-and-gloom-ambushes and millions-will-die strategies.

IMHO, my biggest danger will come right when we march in to opt for 4 more years of this growth by reelecting trump.
At that point, like a stressed out bird plucking it's own feathers, Bloomberg and all the world's wealthy trump haters could finally pull out all the stops in an attempt to crash the market.

I'm hoping they will pour so much money into years of Dem campaigning that the folks spending that money on new stuff will just boost the market anyhow.

** I didn't bet everything on the market. I paid off my house. I bought precious metal (lead).
Also, lots of my spare change went into tools, guns, ammo, exotic powders and oils, and other freedom investments.
Investments went up, ammo went up, and the guns are holding value quite well. If I had to sell them one by one, I could eat well for as long as I'm likely to live.

But I hope my great grandkids will be shooting these someday.

But today is just another someday, and I wish you all a good one.

Good mornin' guys.
I'm going to the range again today. My buddies both canceled but I'm going anyhow.
It'll be .308 and .45 ACP again today. We'll see if I fixed my feeding of the .45s
They were a smidgen too long last time.

This time I loaded 6 formulas of .308 from medium-hot to just 1/2 grain under max charge.
These are all the same powder and projectiles as last time. Just more powder ;)

If I come home with all my fingers I'll post a range report.

So, good morning, albeit a bit late. It's a balmy 52 under brilliant blue, sunny skies. We are going to have a nice warming trend for at least a week. Who knows, maybe winter is over here.

Ya'll have a great day and stay safe.

So this morning was good... unexpectedly.
Back in May I renewed my drivers license. I was told that after July 1 anyone in the US that wanted to fly commercially, enter a military base or nuke facility we had to have the magic yellow/white circle/star logo on the license.
upload_2019-12-18_19-0-26.jpeg

Actually I never want to fly commercial again [...and I'm an Airline Transport Pilot; go figure]. But maybe a nuke or airbase could be on my agenda.
Anyhoo, back in July I went back to DMV w/ my certified birth certificate and a handful of documents "proving" I'm worthy. So the clerkette grabs my pile to inspect it. She notices that my BC had a rip in it and said that she couldn't accept it. DOH! An hour and half down the shitter!

So my today experience was not met with great expectations. I did grab my passport out of the bank's safe deposit box as a substitute for my birth certificate. I filled out the application and $8 credit card transfer. Fifty minutes wait... then my named got called.

I had all my ID poop and decided to try my no-good birth certificate with this clerkoid . She didn't bat an eye and checked it off! I didn't even have to show her my passport. So it only took me 5 months to 300 seconds to transact worth of business.

The "Real ID" is going to be required across the US by Oct 2020. Check your local requirements.

Good morning everyone. Beauty of a day in store for us.

Scoop, I often wonder what folks real name is, but I would have never imagined your given name is Janice Sample. Nice picture though. LOL.

The state of Oklahoma fought this for several years, not sure why. It's amazing though that congress can pass that law, and yet when the mention of voter ID comes up the left is in an uproar.

Oh well. You all have a great day and stay safe.

Scoop, I often wonder what folks real name is, but I would have never imagined your given name is Janice Sample. Nice picture though. LOL.
I think the Sample family is connected...

My name is mr K. Next letter in my name will revealed next christmas...

I will never get two hairy cats and name them Chocolate and Fluffy...

Eggnog is a weird name...

@meanstreak . . . Did OK give driver's licenses to illegals like California?

@fellmann . . . eggnog is a weird drink. I like my eggs cooked on a stove.

Good morning Mossberg owners. I flaked out after an ordeal of shooting yesterday. I was too tired to clean my guns, so I have to do it this morning.

I will soon need a Real ID too, as medicare will require it, even thought they give medicare to illegals anyhow. The DMV signed me up automatically to get medicare, but I have to make an appointment to get Real ID.

They built a new DMV in the suburbs, just a mile from me. so no real traveling required.

@Scoop . . . I will probably never fly commercial again. I dislike crowds, and I really dislike crowds in confined spaces.

My best flight ever: DC-10 from Frisco to Seattle. There were about 6 people on board.

Worst ever was the return leg Frisco to Fresno. Every seat filled with folks who just ate dinner in an airport and now must . . . ummm . . . digest in public.
Back in those days you could smoke cigarettes on a plane, but I smoked a pipe, and that was not allowed. The line outside the bathroom assured me that there would be a warm seat, should I need to stand in that line.

OMG it was a thankfully short hop.

I only flew commercial once after that, to Portland Ore with my wife on a 727. Coming back we were on an MD-80. That was about a month after the sticky rudder actuators were discovered, due to a crash.
I will say that the MD-80 gets off the ground quickly. Very high angle of climb.

I had an awful time at the range yesterday and I will post a real report.

@meanstreak . . . Did OK give driver's licenses to illegals like California?

@fellmann . . . eggnog is a weird drink. I like my eggs cooked on a stove.

Good morning Mossberg owners. I flaked out after an ordeal of shooting yesterday. I was too tired to clean my guns, so I have to do it this morning.

I will soon need a Real ID too, as medicare will require it, even thought they give medicare to illegals anyhow. The DMV signed me up automatically to get medicare, but I have to make an appointment to get Real ID.

They built a new DMV in the suburbs, just a mile from me. so no real traveling required.

@Scoop . . . I will probably never fly commercial again. I dislike crowds, and I really dislike crowds in confined spaces.

My best flight ever: DC-10 from Frisco to Seattle. There were about 6 people on board.

Worst ever was the return leg Frisco to Fresno. Every seat filled with folks who just ate dinner in an airport and now must . . . ummm . . . digest in public.
Back in those days you could smoke cigarettes on a plane, but I smoked a pipe, and that was not allowed. The line outside the bathroom assured me that there would be a warm seat, should I need to stand in that line.

OMG it was a thankfully short hop.

I only flew commercial once after that, to Portland Ore with my wife on a 727. Coming back we were on an MD-80. That was about a month after the sticky rudder actuators were discovered, due to a crash.
I will say that the MD-80 gets off the ground quickly. Very high angle of climb.

I had an awful time at the range yesterday and I will post a real report.

Cadd, You sure beat around the bushes before ya got to the meager range report. But we understand.:ripper:

I have never flown and won't. My last name in German is Tree, and is similar to those big heavy things they toss out of airplanes that go BOOM!

Back