• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Morning guys. Another late night reloading. Today it's Christmas shopping.
I'll buy a few things but mostly I'll just cook and pass out $100 bills to the kids and grandkids.
I think I'll smoke a pork butt and do a rib roast in the oven.

Cadd, no drivers licenses for illegals in OK. They don't get to vote either.
They don't vote here either. So far.

My 2020 sticker came for the truck today. The DMV took forever to send my sticker and I've been driving with an expired sticker for over two weeks.
They sure didn't waste any time cashing my check!

Now that I'm able to get the .308 on target at 220 yards, I'm going to load the expensive Berger 168 projectiles into some factory new brass, and see what I can manage.
I also have some 180 gn Barnes TSX projectiles to try.

But I'm definitely going to get another scope riser, as it is just too low for comfortable eye relief at high power.

Late night Loadin' R Us
View attachment 22360

I just got my reloading stuff out of hiding after about 2 years. I am loading my own cast 158 gr semi wadcutters in 38 spl. I just finished loading 500 and am now prepping my 1000 Lake City .223/5.56. After that I have 500 or so 30-30 to do. It will be a good winter chore and when done I will have plenty of stuff to shoot come spring. I will be doing 357 mag soon.

I surely have 400 shotshells and 500 pistol rounds left to do. And so far I suck at the .45 ACP.
We should both be busy.

I just found 700 9mm lead bullets and about 1000 .452 bullets for the 45 acp. I have a coffee can full of cases for the 45 but no cases for the 9mm. Once fired are cheap and plentiful. If I can get to the range before someone else does I can restock.

HehHehHeh . . .
That's why I invite my friends who don't reload out to the rifle club.

Actually, I can collect lots of free 9mm and .223 at our club's non-member's range, if I go Sat or Sun afternoon.
I rarely see a non-member picking up brass or shotshells.

HehHehHeh . . .
That's why I invite my friends who don't reload out to the rifle club.

Actually, I can collect lots of free 9mm and .223 at our club's non-member's range, if I go Sat or Sun afternoon.
I rarely see a non-member picking up brass or shotshells.

I knew I had a lot of brass, but I won't ever need to buy more 223 anyhow. Most is Lake City so I have some pocket reaming to do. I also noticed some slightly oversized rims when I ran em through the headspace tool. Nothing serious. Just time consuming to smooth em up to make them fit. The deburring tool works on the rim almost as well as it does on the case mouth.

I have a friend who saves his brass and also picks up bucket loads of it at the range so I have a steady supply. I need 357 and 38 Spl. now, and then I'm good. I will buy new 357 from Starline when I start loading my defensive stuff. I'm sold on Starline.

Good morning fellas. It's cooler this morning, 37, and foggy as all get out. I can make out objects about 50 yards away out the window. We were supposed to reach 60 today but I doubt that is going to happen unless the fog dissipates soon.

Cadd and Hombre, I don't reload and know nothing about it. How long would it take to reload let's say 100 rounds that were in good condition ? Just curious.

I hope we all have a great day.

Good morning fellas. It's cooler this morning, 37, and foggy as all get out. I can make out objects about 50 yards away out the window. We were supposed to reach 60 today but I doubt that is going to happen unless the fog dissipates soon.

Cadd and Hombre, I don't reload and know nothing about it. How long would it take to reload let's say 100 rounds that were in good condition ? Just curious.

I hope we all have a great day.

Meanie, I have never loaded any that are in good condition. All cases must be deprimed, resized, reprimed, loaded with powder, mouth flared bullet set and then crimped. I think that's the bare minimum. I hand weigh all loads. I don't trust the powder dumpers. (For a low pressure powder like Trail Boss I will use a Lee Auto Drum measure. That speeds it up a lot. ) Between 1 and 2 hours I think is a close guess. I haven't timed it. Lee says that's with their Progressive presses one can get several hundred an hour but that is providing you don't have problems with the press...I have not attained that level of performance yet. The pro 1000 video spouts 600 per hour. :barf:

I could go for a crumpet and a spot of Irish Breakfast tea!
Actually it's green tea and rye toast this AM.

Good Morning Mossberg Owners.
Is foggy and temps in the 50's today. I have my last Christmas shopping to do today . . . wrap a few presents, polish up the aquariums.
Everything is pretty much "in the bag" here.

. . . I don't reload and know nothing about it. . . .

Just read Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. 99.5% is all in there.
BUT, this is what I think folks should really know about reloading:

There's more than one purpose, and that affects production and procedures.

Some folks reload so they can afford to machine gun lots of ammo into the dirt for fun.

Those guys look for fast production. Accuracy, quality and dependability come second.
They want to use an AmmoBot to crank it out fast, from cheap components, in many hundreds of rounds per hour.
They accept a percentage of failures to achieve production speed.

Some folks reload so they can be 100% sure that what's in the gun is powerful and reliable.
Self defense guys who want the best possible reliability and knockdown.
Hunters who know they'll only get one shot.

Some folks just want pure accuracy at distance.
Snipers and Target shooters that want every possible scrap of consistency and accuracy.
Each round must shoot exactly the same as the last. Max power isn't the goal.
Those guys buy high quality components and work slowly and precisely.

That's where I go.

I spend at least one minute per case to retrieve them, inspect and tumble, neck brush, lube, de-cap, & re-tumble.
A minute to retrieve, wipe, measure, trim, pocket clean, primer hole size and chamfer.
30 seconds to sort, inspect and prime.
Another minute to weigh the case, drop powder, re-weigh, trickle, seat and press.
I usually press 4 times, rotating the shell between.
A few seconds to measure COAL, accept or reject, box and label.

So I'd say 3 to 3.5 mins per round, including record keeping.
That's about 20 rounds an hour, if I work in batches of 60 or so.

Anyhow, it's not worth the effort and setup cost for most folks either way.
Now if you have OCD like me, effort and cost are not a factor.
;)

Good morning everyone. The fog is starting to burn off here. Earlier we were down to less than eighth of a mile visibility. It's an eerie feeling to walk out the back door and everything familiar is not visible.

Cadd, thanks for taking the time to post you thoughts on reloading. I fall into the last category. Reloading is another of those things, making knives being another, that I would probably take up as a hobby if I were younger and had a place to work. Things are so much clearer in the rear view mirror.

Sniffler and Cadd, I'm a coffee guy for breakfast myself. I drink it black and like a strong brew.

I hope you all have a great day.

I could go for a crumpet and a spot of Irish Breakfast tea!
Actually it's green tea and rye toast this AM.

Good Morning Mossberg Owners.
Is foggy and temps in the 50's today. I have my last Christmas shopping to do today . . . wrap a few presents, polish up the aquariums.
Everything is pretty much "in the bag" here.

Just read Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. 99.5% is all in there.
BUT, this is what I think folks should really know about reloading:

There's more than one purpose, and that affects production and procedures.

Some folks reload so they can afford to machine gun lots of ammo into the dirt for fun.

Those guys look for fast production. Accuracy, quality and dependability come second.
They want to use an AmmoBot to crank it out fast, from cheap components, in many hundreds of rounds per hour.
They accept a percentage of failures to achieve production speed.

Some folks reload so they can be 100% sure that what's in the gun is powerful and reliable.
Self defense guys who want the best possible reliability and knockdown.
Hunters who know they'll only get one shot.

Some folks just want pure accuracy at distance.
Snipers and Target shooters that want every possible scrap of consistency and accuracy.
Each round must shoot exactly the same as the last. Max power isn't the goal.
Those guys buy high quality components and work slowly and precisely.

That's where I go.

I spend at least one minute per case to retrieve them, inspect and tumble, neck brush, lube, de-cap, & re-tumble.
A minute to retrieve, wipe, measure, trim, pocket clean, primer hole size and chamfer.
30 seconds to sort, inspect and prime.
Another minute to weigh the case, drop powder, re-weigh, trickle, seat and press.
I usually press 4 times, rotating the shell between.
A few seconds to measure COAL, accept or reject, box and label.

So I'd say 3 to 3.5 mins per round, including record keeping.
That's about 20 rounds an hour, if I work in batches of 60 or so.

Anyhow, it's not worth the effort and setup cost for most folks either way.
Now if you have OCD like me, effort and cost are not a factor.
;)

Cadd, I have not timed all my loading processes but All cases are spankin clean, trimmed to length and all charges are weighed. I do ream and uniform primer pockets and I debur the inside of the flash holes. All case mouths are deburred inside and out and if i use milspec cases, the crimps are swaged out. I must have ocd also. Seems like we both spend a lot of time perfecting our loads.

It's possible that I spend even more time than that but I don't think so. I am just estimating in any event.

I always tumble my cases a bit before I decap them, so they are clean enough to run through my dies, and I lube them for the sizing operation, even if I have carbide dies.

Anyhow, after completely prepping the cases they go back in the tumbler with Polish, to remove any lube and give them a final gloss.

I need to pull out some rounds that I did two years ago and see how they have held up to corrosion. I haven't bothered to wax the completed rounds, although I did put some anti-corrosion lube on the raw bullets that I cast.

I bought some powder paint to coat those raw bullets , but I haven't actually tried to do that yet.

Good morning all.Sunny skies and 46 this morning. The weather channel says we will have a high of 69 today and again tomorrow. That is about 20 degrees warmer than normal for this time of year. I'll gladly take it. Now if we could get a little rain this week everything would be perfect.

I have one special Christmas card to pickup today and I will be officially finished for this year. It seems like Thanksgiving was just last week. Hard to imagine we are about to start a new year already.

I hope you all have a great day.

Happy Christmas Eve you Mossberg guys! It's mild but damp here having rained last night. Fortunately the rain quit so I could barbecue.

The whole family is coming to my house today. I am going to roast a prime rib in the oven but I started a fire in the Weber Smokey Mountain at 6 a.m.
20191224_071650_resized.jpg
I'm smoking a boneless pork butt, seasoned with garlic and French herbs. Also a dozen big Italian sausages.

This is not a real thick cut of meat and it's boneless, so it won't take but about 8 hours.

20191224_071946_resized.jpg
I'll pull it out and let it sit, then I will probably shred it all and slather it with barbecue sauce.

It's still kind of weird being able to barbecue at Christmas, because a lot of places I lived had three feet of snow by this time, and it was so cold you couldn't get your fire started with gasoline and Hand Grenades.

Christmas is a good time to think about how lucky I am, and in so many ways. It's going to be a nice time.

I wish you all the same kind of luck.
:)

Back