• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My youngest son was nearly killed Christmas Eve in a horrible crash... but he is okay <pics>

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
So early morning before the sun came up Christmas Eve, our youngest son was driving eastbound on the interstate headed to work. A sedan going the opposite direction swerved across the median and launched itself airborne right in front of Logans 2018 Silverado crew cab.

The car speared straight into his hood and windshield and roof as it fell from the sky. The combined speed was maybe 175-mph.

Gods hand, and luck, and that Chevy truck saved his life that morning.

We got the Emergency Room call Christmas Eve around 6:30 AM and while on our way to the Huntsville ER we drove right past the scene and saw his truck and the other car and a body lying in the road with a sheet draped over it.

What a horrible way to wake up from a good deep sleep!

But we got to the ER and learned that he was very lucky and he was going to be OKAY!!!

He has a clean break of his left humorous bone which took surgery to put in a rod and screws. Cracked tibial flange and knee ligaments hyperextended (non-surgical recovery). Possible concussion (duh). Slight fracture of his C6 vertebrae. And five stitches over his left eye. It's incredible he wasn't paralyzed or killed instantly. The roof pillars and front edge of the roof stopped 4-inches from his face (if his head was against the headrest), but of course he was going forward and there was an airbag wedged somewhere in there as well.

So our Christmas was actually one of the most joyous in years. Even on Christmas morning in ICU when we knew he was going to recover 100% just seeing his breathing and heart rate monitors and seeing his chest rise and fall was a Christmas miracle that put smiles on our faces.

It's been am eventful past couple of weeks.

Oh, the other driver died instantly. That vehicle was blown into such tiny pieces that the wrecker crews loaded the entire car onto a rollback BY HAND and never needed to use a PTO winch. Even the seats were in several pieces. When I went to the tow yard late on Christmas morning to get his personal property, I took these pics. I have worked wrecks train vs. car, car vs. two semis, and I have never seen a car like that following a wreck. The owner of the wrecker company said he has been in the business since 1997 and it's the first time that he has seen anybody load an entire car onto a rollback by just throwing chunks onto the flatbed by hand.

Silverado_1.JPG Silverado_2.JPG Car in pieces.JPGCar on wrecker cropped.jpg

Last edited:
I know cars and I can't even tell what kind of car hit him... :eek:

It looks like that car went thru a wood chipper. Can you imagine the impact force that it would take to render a sedan into little bitty pieces like that? Against a half-ton pickup?

My son not only survived, but he will recover 100%, and that, my friends, is a true Christmas Miracle.

I am not "religious" anymore as far as going to church, after 40 years of putting my time in. But I have always believed in God and I know that moment when Logan had a car fall out of the sky and hit him square in the face is proof enough for me.

Was late for work. She had to turn back half way to her work because she forgot her employee badge that would let her in parking and into work. After going back home she was driving at an incredible speed and texting friends that she would get to work as soon as she could. Christmas Eve, probably no cops around at 5:30 in the morning. The Traffic Homicide Investigator downloaded her car data recorder and she was WAY over the 75-mph speed limit. Logan was probably doing 80 in a 75...

Praise to god your son is going to be fine. It's not a miracle but divine intervention. The lord must have grand plans for him.

So sad the young lady died because she was late for work and texting. This accident was avoidable.

Prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.

Holy Frijoles! I sure missed this one, but that is one heck of an accident.

My best wishes for your boy Nitesite. What a horror for you all!

It looks like most of the impact force was taken in a downward direction to the engine and firewall, and impact to the cab was mercifully much less.

Just a slight difference in angle and this would surely have been a much different story.

I hope that everyone here recognizes the reality of distracted driving accidents.

Excepting professional drivers, only one person in 3 behind the wheel is really paying attention.

Ditto @nitesite. I hope your boy is recovering steadily.

Both of my children have been in multiple auto accidents but they have all been low-speed collisions. The same is true of me. I've never hit anything in my life going more than about 5 miles an hour. Nothing has ever hit me much harder.

I thank the Lord for that every time I see a traffic collision.

Thank you for your thoughts about Logan.

He is mending pretty well, has a great sense of humor, but isn't doing enough exercise when no one is at home to push him (we moved him back out of his rental into his old bedroom for a few months).

But he is in one piece with no forecast for any long lasting issues. It was a miracle.

Good to hear man. No serious pain though and how's his neck?

Thanks. He actually has taken only a few pain pills since he left the hospital. He is dealing with it great. His neck fracture was fairly small and is expected to be healed within the month so he can take his collar off when he is riding in a car, etc. He already can take it off at home and when he is sleeping. Pretty amazing.

Thanks. He actually has taken only a few pain pills since he left the hospital. He is dealing with it great. His neck fracture was fairly small and is expected to be healed within the month so he can take his collar off when he is riding in a car, etc. He already can take it off at home and when he is sleeping. Pretty amazing.

Awesome. That is great news man!

Back