• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Swedish K and ammo

fellmann

Esoteric
Supporter
Funny thing, i was looking for a good subject title and where to put it about our 9mm cartridge m/39 when Vickers Tactical just uploaded a video about the Swedish K :D perfect !

Here is what i was originally ment to post. The difference between the first version of the 9mm m/39 and the "upgraded" version ( m/39 B ). Bullet with a black ring is a m/39 and the red ring is a m/39 B. You clearly see the difference in the steel jacket to the right.

m39.9mm.jpg

The m/39 B began being issued in 1955. The cartridge was developed by the Swedish ammunition industry following the experiences of the Korean War and around the world where new types of body protection began to be used. These reduced the effect of commonly occurring cartridges of this caliber.

"The m/39 B is capable of penetrating 50 layers of kevlar, 7 cm brick or 25 cm wood. It also manages to penetrate Class IIIA protective vests "

And i found a video "about things ive heard" such as the quote above, but not seen :)

Last edited:
Probably one of the best magazines in the world for 9 mm Luger. Swedish Kpist M/45, 36 shot.

View attachment 22439

1945 a new 36 shot magazine was developed. It turned out to be one of the very best magazines in the world until now. It is wider behind and more narrow to the front. This construction allows the cartridges to move freely up and down independent of dust and below zero conditions. Magazines with parallel sides are very likely to jam under cold conditions. This, both Germans with MP40 and British with Sten-Gun, found out the hard way. The m/45 magazine has double rows of cartridges and it is very easy to load by hand. With the help of a special tool a magazine can be loaded in 6 seconds.

View attachment 22440

Loading device for m/45 magazine.
It loads a full magazine in 6 seconds.
Note the 36 shot clip for the rounds.

View attachment 22441

Six hits on the handle and the magzine is fully loaded. Each row of rounds falls down in line of the device by the gravity.

The rounds were put on 36 round clips with small locks in the both ends of each row of 6 rounds. These locks were smaller then the primer pockets. There were some accidents when a loaded clip was dropped on a hard surface. The lock hit the primer and there was an accidental discharge. when the round exploded. The clips were later altered to be with wider locks.

View attachment 22443

View attachment 22444

View attachment 22448

Yes ! Ian at Forgotten Weapons finally did a Swedish K video :D

...and... Garand Thumb also :D Funny intro

Last edited:
I know several guys who own the SW76's but not many "K" are in the registery for civilian legal transferables which makes them draw a premium. The design tends to be really well liked though. And as for cost, the SW76's fall about the middle of the field of pistol caliber subguns.

The 600 rpm feedrate does allow much easier manipulation of the trigger to get singles and doubles pretty effortlessly. I don't really know anyone that owns an open bolt submachine gun that ever uses the select fire option so the Swedish K certainly isn't missing anything by omitting that. It's always auto or nothing. It's a lot easier to let your brain and finger determine when to let go of the trigger.

Personally though, I think the 600'ish rpm feels a little chuggish. And yes, the uzi and several others are in the same ballpark. But I like around 800-850 rpm the best. It just feels so smooth and effortless.

Yeah, I'd like to be able to find some of those bullets too, but they've been banned here in the US for years because they can be fired in a handgun and defeat some soft armors. So, I doubt the puppet masters here would go for that very well.

Back