• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Good morning Mossberg owners.

My new homemade aquarium filter is A-OK. The flow is excellent and I'm not sucking up the fry.

20200128_082046.jpg

This morning I'm working on a monopod for my 308 rifle.

So far I don't have a good design.

LOL well you can't tell a bloody thing from that picture!

That is your basic Hornady corn cob tumbling media jug on the right, cut down and filled with pillow fluff.

20200128_081954.jpg

Belated good morning everyone, it's almost 5 pm. We had clouds all day and a high about 40. The warmup starts tomorrow and I head north.

I'll stay in Omaha 3 or 4 days before coming home. The temps up there is forecast to be decent for this time of year. The forecast says high 40 ish Friday and Saturday, then low to mid 50s for Sunday and Monday.

Have a great day and stay vigilant.

@meanstreak
You get to see your family a lot, and it sounds like quite a blessing. Everyone here is very busy with school and jobs and church activities and I kind of hole up here at home with my guns & my computer, until it warms up enough that I want to go fishing or ride my motorcycle.

Here are some photographs of my DIY monopod Construction for the Ruger 308. The Leupold Mount is there for size comparison only. Leupold and Monstrum are two names you should probably not mix.
20200130_074643.jpg
This is a tail pod for the benchrest. I made it from a monstrum half inch picatinny rail adapter that I shortened with a hacksaw, ground, filed off, redrilled and threaded.

20200130_074349.jpg

I also made the jam nut from a regular nut because I wanted it thin & perfectly flat on the back, with no chamfer.

Everything was hand filed and hand fitted and so it's a matter of craftsmanship that I wouldn't trust for a scope mount. The accuracy is not CNC quality but it's the best I could do on a Craftsman drill press.
The grip is made from a aluminum flashlight, and I put two heavy pattern hex nuts inside with J-B Weld to provide the adjustment threads.
20200130_074142.jpg
It has a very good range of motion but it is not quick to adjust and it does not fold up. A skateboard bushing provides the rubber foot and a rubber isolation washer puts tension on the thread so it doesn't spin too easy.

The 9 millimeter shell casing is glued into the handle with silicone rubber, to provide a little flexibility to the foot.

I was able to drill it and add a second screw to the cutoff that I used. I think it's going to be quite secure. I just need some cleanup and a coat of paint, plus I am going to put liquid rubber on the hand grip.

Lotza rust there...!
I believe that if it wasn't for our ridiculous gun laws that those relics would be worth virtually nothing.

Well I think I have finally finished my DIY tail-pod for the Ruger.
20200130_210731.jpg
It was just barely dry enough to put together gingerly.

I put PlastiDip spray can rubber on the handle but the rest is just black spray paint.

Fellman, thanks for the video. I have a few older 22s, but nothing like those.

Cadd, nice handiwork. Necessity is the mother of invention. I have been fortunate since I moved south to be able to see my kids as often as I do.

Good morning everyone. I drove north to Omaha yesterday. The weather was cloudy all the way, no glare, lol. This morning we have clouds, but fairly mild temps. The forecast called for fog and lower ceilings than we actually have. No flying today, but the weekend looks great.

You all have a great day and be safe.

Batches of old original Mausers on the way in

His imports were always good. Although, I'm unsure what shape the ones they're importing from Africa and Ethiopia are going to be in. Those countries don't exactly have the reputation of anything remotely resembling ISO standards of anything, including storage from the looks of the pictures in that video.

His US made AK's however, has given him a very bad reputation among AK enthusiasts and is mostly deserved in my opinion.

I have one of the 2008 East German STG-2000 clones that I've had a love/hate relationship with. Overall the gun is good. It was not made in East Germany under the Russian rule despite being a really close copy of it, however, my AK was made in Romania in the Cugir factory and they are known to make some of the better AK variants in existance.

The original furniture on the gun was its' worst attribute. Pure junk in my opinion. But once I changed the furniture, I can honestly say that my gun has ran very well in the 10+ years that I have owned it, despite what many of the AK crowd says.

https://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=1382

https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/io-stg-2000c-762x39mm/

Having new furniture now, it is a much better gun. *the one in the middle

0Wm4e6f.jpg

I have never considered buying an AK-47 until recently because I simply have no interest in Soviet weapons.

While their reputation for reliability has been favorable their reputation for accuracy and precision was not.

Plus to me it just always seemed really unamerican to shoot a Russian gun unless you had no choice.

I guess I'm just not diverse enough yet.:idk:

Good morning a little late. I've been on my back the last 2 days, dizzy as Hell and heaving it all out. Somehow i got a dose of food poison and spent a day and a half watching the room spin. I got better late yesterday, and today I have just been relaxing. My sides ache and I still am a bit dizzy, but I think that may be because I was born with yellowish hair. I'm better now, just milkin it a little longer.

Hombre, yer never too old for milk.

Of course intolerance could occur at any age.

I was getting a little intolerant with our Senate until they finally told the Democrats in the house to go suck an egg. I almost thought they were going to let Adam Schiff drag this out another week, but thank God enough people finally see through his BS.

My old buddy Dave has been getting around better these days but he called me tonight to tell me he might be going back in the hospital. Hopefully that's just in case of Chinese food poisoning. Now that he's given up drinking there's not enough alcohol in his system to kill whatever the hell is in the Chinese food.

morning all. sitting here sipping coffee, wondering how I end up with 4 coffee mugs on my desk .

got a gift card for my lgs for Christmas. Much better half having a lot of health issues makes money rather tight. stopped in for my lunch break anyway (gotta kill a half hour somehow). he just had gotten in a Benelli m1. kinda rough, very functional.

Here I sit, drinking coffee, trying to talk myself into or out of it.

Hombre, yer never too old for milk.

Of course intolerance could occur at any age.

I was getting a little intolerant with our Senate until they finally told the Democrats in the house to go suck an egg. I almost thought they were going to let Adam Schiff drag this out another week, but thank God enough people finally see through his BS.

My old buddy Dave has been getting around better these days but he called me tonight to tell me he might be going back in the hospital. Hopefully that's just in case of Chinese food poisoning. Now that he's given up drinking there's not enough alcohol in his system to kill whatever the hell is in the Chinese food.

I don't drink a lot of it anymore but I love milk. Could have been a bad egg. Don't know, but just in case something else went bad, I tossed out over 3 gallons of homemade veg soup. Today I will make more. I will just have to be careful about lettin the dog do dishes.

:lol:

Good Morning Mossberg Owners.

I went back to the welding shop yesterday and I bought some of that low-temp aluminum "welding" rod.
I've been wanting to try it on a little project involving light alloy.

Chinese brass is taking over the torch world. They didn't want to rebuild an old victor torch.
It's cheaper to buy new.

Sigh...
At least the Senate hasn't gone totally rogue. How many of the thousands in govt get kickbacks of some sort from folks who want US aid?
Or who want to spy and steal from us?
It's like a children's book.

See Donald drain . . .
Drain that swamp Donald!
See the toads and Trolls scramble.
" . . . jerry? . . Jerry . . . Jerry!!! "
But trolls die easily in the sun.
See them sneak out thru the basement after dark!

Ya'll have a very American day. ;)

From the laboratory of past-midnite inventions...

Building a new LED aquarium lamp.
20200201_225528.jpg
This is a new design, but some bits are recycled from a previous lamp.
20200202_005254.jpg
A hand made plastic keeper retains each bulb. Rough, but sturdy and ultimately hidden.

First lighting: 12:54 AM...
20200202_005419.jpg
It's all done and the sealant is curing.

It's sooo hard to play in the open like that. You can not hear yourself really well, without a band shell or such.

Good mornin' ya'll. *yawn* I slept in a bit today.

My DIY lamp came out OK, but the tank needs cleaning.
20200202_111213.jpg

20200202_110611.jpg

I'm not a big super bowl fan but we will probably stay home today and watch TV. I'm going to cook roast pork and creamed brussel sprouts with red potatoes and brown gravy.

For dessert I have two kinds of Tillamook ice cream. You guys probably don't get Tillamook back East but they are in Oregon and their Creamery is quite famous.

Even better is the ice cream from our local agricultural college, but I have to go about 10 times as far to get that.

Arkansas-based Walmart built a grocery/pharmacy in Clovis but it is not a clothing and big-box store. Generally speaking they have the best prices and a very good selection.

They are competing directly with SaveMart, which is a California company. Amazingly, Save Mart is holding their own.

In addition to that grocery, there are three Walmarts and a Sam's Club Within 10 miles of me. We also have an Amazon distribution hub here, and they are making a good deal of money in the Central Valley.

I saw about 5 mins of the superbowl on TV, made dinner and watched some mediocre movie with Judy.
I have been watching Ted Cruz's podcasts: "VERDICT", with Michael Knowles on youtube.
A-1 stuff.
I'm on to #7 now...
Have a nice day folks, on Superbowl recovery Monday. ;)

Last edited:
It got down to 34 last night, but my patio tank is at 75 and everyone is hungry.
Yesterday was mostly aquarium cleaning and mods. I made a sturdier lid for the fry tank so the cat wouldn't wind up in the water.
We went for burgers at The House of JuJu in Old Town . . . seriously great burgers.

I need to load some .223 with CFE223 powder and go shooting soon. I haven't had the Varminter out for a while.

Good morning all. I got back from Omaha yesterday afternoon. Had a good weekend all in all. Friday I visited an old friend for about three hours. We met in 1972 and have been through thick and thin ever since. I had not seen him in about three years so it was a great three hours.

Saturday and Sunday I got to do some flying, two beautiful days weatherwise .

I stayed at my youngest son's house and also spent a couple of afternoons with my oldest. It was all in all just an excellent weekend.

Back