• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month. (March 2020) (Virus Thread)

My work sent everyone home till April.

work from home....

I still have to go into the office. We are supposed to keep a 6 ft distance from each other...well I have people with desks within 6 feet of me and have multiple meetings a day with people right next to me.

I thought we would be closed as soon as the Big 3 announced closures but we still support dealers and other factories that are open so I keep getting paid.

At least the traffic is really light now.

Other than hoping TP will be back on the shelves before we run out I do not really feel greatly impacted yet.

Let the Great china pullback commence. For too long they have stolen our trade secrets, caused international problems, enslaved their own citizens and most recently been the country of origin for bad diseases. If nothing else good comes from this lets get as many companies as possible to return to the United States and begin an American resurgence unlike anything seen since the Great Depression.

I was hoping to get a new shed built but it's clearly non essential. Gov Newsome has called for closures of all non-essential functions in the state of California.

Nothing was said of building contractors. Hardware stores will be open.
I guess I will find out tomorrow if I can get a KD shed delivered.

I found this looking around. They say he found a cure,

https://www.covidtrial.io/?fbclid=IwAR0241-LoY9mZmP6KAxd8wQ_7YNx-hxknS3dRTx6ZbXl2_HMj1FuzX-rAFQ

An Open Data Clinical Trial for COVID-19 Prevention

BREAKING UPDATE: Clinical trial by Gautret, Raoult, et al. (2020)

> Watch interview with Dr. Raoult

What is this initiative?
We're an independent group of scientists and physicians working on an open-data clinical trial for prevention of COVID-19, through the use of hydroxychloroquine in combination with other therapeutic agents, for prevention of SARS-COV2 infection in high risk health care workers.

Unlike a typical commercial drug trial, our objective is to share trial data with the public* and health-care professionals as close to real-time as possible (with a reasonable level of data quality assurance).

Given the rapidly spreading coronavirus pandemic, we're looking for every possible means to fast-track the effort.

> Read our draft paper

* Data will be de-identified to preserve participants' privacy and conform with regulatory requirements.

Join the trial
Objective: Evaluate the efficacy of hydroxychloroquine in the prevention of COVID-19 infection.

Current Phase: We're first focusing on a cohort study of healthy medical professionals and healthcare workers.

Join the study: If you're a front-line healthcare worker (physician, nurse, etc.), and willing to participate in the trial (or already taking hydroxychloroquine), please send us an email.

Future phase: Case-control study of hydroxychloroquine in the prevention of COVID-19. Stay tuned.

Can my company / organization participate in the trial?
We'd be happy to discuss.

Could I support the project in other ways?
If you're interested to support or partner on regulatory front, clinical trial, or funding, please send us an email.

Background
A recent controlled clinical study conducted by Didier Raoult M.D/Ph.D, et. al in France has shown that 100% patients that received a combination of HCQ and Azithromycin tested negative and were virologically cured within 6 days of treatment.

In addition, recent guidelines from South Korea and China report that hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine are effective antiviral therapeutic treatments for novel coronavirus.

A therapeutic agent that prevents infection with novel coronavirus is highly desirable--especially for persons with high-risk exposure (e.g healthcare professionals) as well as persons with comorbidities (heart disease, diabetes, etc) and compromised immune systems. Ground-breaking in vitro studies demonstrate potential efficacy of hydroxychloroquine as a prophylactic for novel coronavirus infection in primate cells.

Note: Hydroxychloroquine (brand name Plaquenil) is an inexpensive, globally available drug (tablet) that was approved for widespread medical use since 1955. It is commonly used today to treat malaria, systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis.

Project Lead
Gregory J. Rigano, Esq

Our Governor came out late in the afternoon today with a new message. He said the businesses are now on mandatory closing and theatened unspecified action for non compliance. For legal justification he cited a law that grants him that power. Unfortunately for our Obama wannabe governor that law is for emergencies but medical pandemic's aren't listed as an emergency. We have a law to cover a pandemic crisis but that law doesn't confer upon him the power to close businesses. It seems he is just winging it and hoping nobody notices. I don't mind working from home but I also expect him to follow our laws. My local state rep. issued a statement ripping the governor for going solo and not even telling the state house what he was doing. They heard it on the news. Along with thin shelves for bread, milk and toilet paper, guns and ammo are flying off the shelves. I thought everyone would have learned after Newtown to have what you want on hand and not wait for a crisis to buy. The sheeple never learn

Saw a bit of that press conference. Over 7000 cases in NY state...known cases that is. Wonder what the actual number is?
Probably higher. My nephew is sick and a bunch of my church members. NY is a destination hub so it got here quickly and rapidly moved from NYC to Long Island.

My church members called the mobile testing facility but they declined to test saving resources for older at risk people with advanced stages (bad cough, trouble breathing)

So far only 1 county in indiana has closed down non essential retail, it happens to be the one I work in. All eating establishments are take out/ drive through only statewide. I work for a big company, but they have several shops with just a few mechanics in each, so we stay under the group of 10 rule. Weve been told we will only shut down if government mandated. I'm okay with that, we dont deal with general public. there's still a pretty low number of cases statewide. Two cases reported in my county, but they were both non residents.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Two cases reported in my town of 90,000 so far.
Men are dying twice as fast as women worldwide.
Also they say if you get a mild case, you can appear to recover, then get hit hard.

Also they say if you get a mild case [COVID-19], you can appear to recover, then get hit hard.

Anybody know what happens if you get a case and then are listed as "recovered" with this disease? Do you have immunity form COVID-19 then?

On edit:

from my minimal research via google I get this.

Are you immune after being infected?
Another question from viewers in Ann Arbor and Troy is, “Are you immune after you’ve been infected?”

The answer is yes. Once our immune system fights off a virus, it generally confers immunity to that specific virus. What isn’t known is how long that immunity will last.

Some viruses don’t stimulate a robust enough response for long-term immunity. You might only be protected for a short time.

Experts don’t know if immunity would be highly specific or broad enough to protect a person if the virus underwent a slight mutation. Both of those issues need more research, especially as a vaccine is being developed.​

https://www.clickondetroit.com/heal...ets-are-you-immune-after-youve-been-infected/

That is somewhat encouraging, but if you learn more then let us know.
I'm ignorant in virology [and most other medical fields].

Last edited:
@Water Monkey I hope your family and church members recover soon and hope it’s just the regular cold or flu.

@Scoop I’ve read that they’re not sure yet of immunity after infection. Though generally true for viruses, this one seems to be causing more than just a few questions. I’ve read that they’re not sure if a second go-round is a re-infection or a relapse. The latter would indicate that it is not being eradicated by the immune system and is able to stay in the body...but like you, I’m no expert either.

Thanx, @cmcdonald for that info. In more time we will have more information.

Back in my response #23 I raised the BS flag and asked if it was worth it to go to the extent of the present economically disruptive response.

Truth is that I really don't know. I am thankfully already "socially distant," but that is me in general in daily public behavior.
I have classroom and large group meeting events that I participated dozens of times last year, some 500+ people, but those are now on hold and constant evaluation of the time appropriate for us to do a restart.

What is the balance of deaths to inconvenience?

Expected Deaths --- Response
1-100 --- Do nothing
1000 --- ?
10,000 --- Testing, innoculation, treatment + ?
100,000 --- Quarantine, behavior sanctions, business restrictions
1 Meg --- Do a lot!

Right now the numbers on my TV for US casualties are:
Cases confirmed - 25493
Total US deaths - 307
That puts us on the 100 to 10000 deaths range marked by the big ? above.

So on balance, would our present preventative damage to the US economy be worth it if deaths were somehow guaranteed to level out w/ fewer than 1000 deaths? I don't believe in the old "If we can save just one life it's worth it" line. There is a lot of collateral pain with any corrective action.

It is a matter of philosophy, science, high level thinking, experimentation, guessing, luck and a shitload of unknowns beyond.

I'm glad I'm not in charge of the input for the guessing department. I am not criticizing anybody's actions at this point because I am so damned ignorant about all of this.

I don't know whether the response team has already gone too far or if they are still behind the curve.
Any of you Mossies got some thinking on this? :idk:

If we don't see a big spike in deaths and ICU cases over the next week, I predict people will start socializing, and then we will see it in two weeks even bigger.

It will take a week for the supplies and tests to ramp up, but we have effective treatments for most folks.

If you are old, male, fat, smoker, diabetic and wheezing now, it's probably time to make a will.

We are in a “hot zone” here...nothing like WM in NY but we are in relative close proximity to Seattle and their two counties that really launched it for you guys. Our confirmed cases in BC have really spiked in the last few days and appears to be picking up speed. We’ve just broke double digits for deaths today.

Edit:
424 confirmed cases / 10 deaths to date.

Anyone using the map below, if you’re looking at BC it’s incorrect in its location plotting. They’ve marked the map in what is probably some remote native fishing village...lol. The cases are mostly centred close to the Canada/US border.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

All restaurants have been ordered to do only delivery/take out and all bars closed. All businesses providing personal services...salons, massage, etc are ordered to close. They have ordered social distancing through health emergency legislation but have yet to enforce it. If the infection rate continues to climb sharply I predict we will see a lockdown of some form within the next week or two at the most.

Last edited:
National Guard activates in NY funded by FEMA to assist with medical treatments.

I spent today assisting at my church Pantry making it a drive thru and feeding about 20 families. Wore a mask and gloves. And was outside in the cold directing traffic flow.

Fed my two 70 year old neighbors.

drank a healthy amount of Kentucky Bourbon.

I expect a shelter in place starting sometime next week.

once the Corona virus stimulus package is signed im betting we see the national shutdown. Trying to get all the ducks in a row.

National Guard activates in NY funded by FEMA to assist with medical treatments.

I spent today assisting at my church Pantry making it a drive thru and feeding about 20 families. Wore a mask and gloves. And was outside in the cold directing traffic flow.

Fed my two 70 year old neighbors.

drank a healthy amount of Kentucky Bourbon.

I expect a shelter in place starting sometime next week.

once the Corona virus stimulus package is signed im betting we see the national shutdown. Trying to get all the ducks in a row.
WM I think you are right abiut a national shutdown.

My future son in law is in the National Guard and just spent 3 weeks at Ft. Indiantown Gap for training. He said the state guard is mobilizing now. He could be called up too.

Meanwhile PA's governor Wolf has decided that starting tomorrow they will begin making sure businesses are closed using the following for "law enorecment". Only the State police aretrained in real aw enforcement.
  • Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board
  • Department of Health
  • Department of Agriculture
  • Pennsylvania State Police
  • Local officials, using their resources to enforce closure orders within their jurisdictions.

Back