• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Medicinal plants and stuff

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I looked and didn't see any topics about medicinal plants or things, so I'm going to start this one.

Most medicines are not artificial or synthetic and are derived from common plants, and other things.

I know there are many of us who appreciate knowing what to do in times we cant' just run out to the doctor.

So, I thought this would be a good place to share some things.

First off, I didn't know until today, but it appears that Blue Clay has properties that kill certain antibiotic resistant germs. I'll include the link here.

https://newatlas.com/blue-clay-treats-infections/56038/

https://www.cambrianblueclay.com/our-practice

Some other things that are useful and common.

Honey. Tastes good, and kills germs in wounds. Also forms a protective barrier over cuts. Honey lasts almost forever and doesn't spoil even if the sugar seperates and it gets hard. Just boil it and it comes back. They found some in ancient tombs in Egypt and said it was still palatable and edible after a few millennia.

Willow bark-boiled into a tea, it has the properties of aspirin. Good for the heart and pain relief. Don't over-do it though. Don't want to thin your blood too much.

Blackberry--good for the stomach. Can boil the roots and drink the tea as well if the berries aren't in season.

There are many more, but that's a start. Feel free to jump in.

Almost forgot cat tails.

The poultice can be put on wounds, burns, stings, and bruises.

If you burn the cat tail leaves, the ashes can be used as an antiseptic or styptic for wounds to stop minor bleeding .

A small drop of a honey-like excretion, which you can usually squeeze out near the base of the plant, can be used as an antiseptic for small wounds and toothaches.

==========
The mighty Dandelion.

Since I couldn't remember everything that it was used for, I'm pasting this from here because there is a lot more info at the web page. https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-706/dandelion

Dandelion is used for loss of appetite, upset stomach, intestinal gas, gallstones, joint pain, muscle aches, eczema, and bruises. Dandelion is also used to increase urine production and as a laxative to increase bowel movements. It is also used as skin toner, blood tonic, and digestive tonic.

Some people use dandelion to treat infection, especially
viral infections, and cancer.

In foods, dandelion is used as salad greens, and in soups, wine, and teas. The roasted root is used as a coffee substitute.

=============

Mint leaves (like catnip) can be made into tea. I actually like spearmint tea with some sugar just because I like it. But it helps with stomach ailments and digestion problems.

Tea berry's. Use in small quantities because it can irritate the stomach but it is good for coughs and lung infections. Some people also think the leaves are an irritant but they never bothered me and I'm allergic to just about everything. You can boil the leaves into a tea or if they have the little red berries, they can be eaten by themselves and they have a spicy wintergreen flavor.

Heres a great one very abundant in South, Cherokee super plant, the broadleaf plantain. Its a prolific weed to many but has many uses from a just nice addition for cooking in field or simple tea I helps with gastro issues etc... And you can do a quick chew of couple leaves slap it on a bee sting eases swelling and pain almost immediately. You can use rocks or mortar n pestal to create a poltice or wilt it and soak in oil or alcohol for a tincture. Its really a broad spectrum super plant. 0624191742_20190709004959937.jpg

I knew it was good for a lot of stuff, but after reading the links, I didn't think it had as many uses as it really did.

I saved the link. I am highly allergic to bee stings and don't know exactly kind of bee it was that stung me and put me in the hospital. This may not replace the epi pen but it can't hurt to keep an eye on the ground for it when I am out.

Yellow Nutsedge has small peanut-like growths on the root of the plant. if you ever tried to get rid of it it just spreads unless you kill everything in that section of lawn, with weed killer. But the nuts, as they are called can be harvested and roasted and eaten like nuts. Good survival food in the woods if you know what it looks like. Shiny, stiff triangular shaped stems. Most people call it water grass.

Lespedeza is good to eat as are other common lawn weeds. Too many for this old brain to remember.

My son is the one here that is into healing herbs. My daughter is into canning/preserving and homesteading things like making butter so they make a good team.

He has the following growing with some cut and paste benefits:
Meadow tea: I always just called it mint tea but the plain folks around here call it meadow tea. It is a stomach settler.
Spearmint: alleviate symptoms of nausea, indigestion, gas, headache, toothache, cramps, and sore throat.
Peppermint: bile secretion and encourage bile flow, which helps to speed and ease digestion (and which may also support healthy cholesterol levels)
Elecampane: The root is used to make medicine. Elecampane is used for lung diseases including asthma, bronchitis, and whooping cough. It is also used to prevent coughing
Prunella Vulgaris (aka "self heal"): treat cuts (under band aid) and sore throats as a tea.
Elderberry: treat cold and flu.
Black Raspberries and Blue Berries: high in anti oxidants
Hops (Tettnanger, classic German noble hop) The aroma is helpful with causing drowsiness as is their effect from drinking beer. He grows hops for the drowsiness effect and I am a home brewer so I use them in beer.

0217201630.jpg 0217201625.jpg Going to attend a wild edibles/medicinal course end of month at SARCRAFT in N. Georgia. So ive been working on own around the home to not show up total ignorant.
About a 5 minute forage grabbed some broad plantain , wild mint, wild scallion, dandelion and Henbit. It was 28 degrees 3 days ago , yet still a bounty available if ya know. Basically if you go hungry in our southern Appalachia its because you choose to, if you have an ailment there is probably a plant that can help you close by. I'm driven to gain as much of this knowledge as possible.

Attachments

• 0217201630a.jpg
    0217201630a.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 3
Plantain is supposed to be good for a lot that ails you. I have never eaten it though. So I have no idea how it tastes.

Please take plenty of notes.

I have some wild mint up around the edge of my fence up in the corner of the yard. But that's usually where my dog likes to take a piss so I wouldn't want to eat that anymore.

Have you ever seen lady's slipper?

Plantain is supposed to be good for a lot that ails you. I have never eaten it though. So I have no idea how it tastes.

I have some wild mint up around the edge of my fence up in the corner of the yard. But that's usually where my dog likes to take a piss so I wouldn't want to eat that anymore.

I heard Plantain is like greens, or maybe spinach. I like that stuf. Thanks for the reminder.

Just saw this in a previous post on this page:

https://returntonow.net/2017/10/19/plantain-common-driveway-weed-cures-almost-anything-ails/

Plantain is pretty palatable, raw salad style or cooked. Ive not run across lady slipper yet. As for your mint, id scoop a shovel full and transplant a bundle somewhere "safe" it proliferates well, mint tea hot and iced is amazing or add to your regular tea when ya brew it, you can dehydrate for long keeping.0219201347.jpg 0219201355a.jpg 0219201422.jpg I found a cool treasure yesterday, called cranefly , very easy to miss and taste great like a miniture potatoe. I had raw but bet boiled really tasty.

Found this spot last year, came and checked on it Sunday, very nice mayapple colony. Mayapple yields a fruit that for a brief time when very ripe is edible. The cherokee used it for medicinal properties and it tastes quite good BUT beware use sparingly it can be stomach upsetting and possibly toxic in high quantities. Fruits here in june/july0322201410a.jpg 0322201410.jpg

Wow. You found the mother patch. I often don't see that many at once. Usually 4 or 5.

That's very nice DJ.

I looked the trillium up, and it's being used to treat the specific type of cancer that my Mom has.

Back