• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Interesting Video

Amazing! First, a short story. Young friend of mine about 10 years ago inherited a Winchester 30-30 which he only used for deer hunting from a stand about 50 yards from a feeder. About 5 years ago he ask me about recommending a handgun. We first talked about his intended use (simple home defense), then discussed the merits of both revolvers and semi autos, and finally had a lengthy discussion of calibers and ammo types.

Fast forward to two years ago when he wanted to come by to see a deer he killed. It was a fine buck and laying in his truck was that old Winchester. I ask if I might look at it and what ammo he was using. He pulled out a half empty box of 30-30 and I first noticed the price sticker. I mentioned the great price and he said he bought the box when he inherited the gun many years ago and said proudly it will probably last me another 10 years.

During our discussion I ask him if he ever bought a handgun like we'd discussed a few years ago. He said yes and wanted to know if I'd like to see it. Off he went to find it and about 5 minutes later handed me a blue box containing the 9mm. As I examined the gun, excellent brand, I noticed it looked brand new and the magazines hadn't even been loaded. I ask if he had used it and he proudly said he'd never had a need so far. I ask what ammo he bought and he ask his wife if she knew where the "box of pistol ammo" was. Off she went in a different direction to find it.

This video reminds me of my friend. The video, in my opinion, portrays a completely unrealistic scenario.

Where's the training ammo? Whether your punching paper or doing realistic "combat" drills you should be practicing sight picture and trigger control, malfunction drills including FTF and FTE, magazine reloading under stress plus basic weapons safety and handling. Most folks I know who "regularly" train fire 100 to 300 plus rounds of pistol ammo per month. That's a thousand to over three thousand per year just for training. Add an AR or AK and you double that amount just to achieve minimum proficiency.

While the video say individuals are not going up against an organized army unit, thats OK. But in a SHTF scenario where people are starving or simply out stealing anything they see to buy drugs you may face a completely different situation where your one box of ammo turns that pistol into a high priced hammer! Doubt many of you remember the politically motivated riots of the 60s and 70s but given the political divide in this country we may see this again.

Be aware and be realistic regarding ammo. However, I certainly agree with one point in the video - you don't barter ammo! It has a propensity to come back at you!

Regards

Amazing! First, a short story. Young friend of mine about 10 years ago inherited a Winchester 30-30 which he only used for deer hunting from a stand about 50 yards from a feeder. About 5 years ago he ask me about recommending a handgun. We first talked about his intended use (simple home defense), then discussed the merits of both revolvers and semi autos, and finally had a lengthy discussion of calibers and ammo types.

Fast forward to two years ago when he wanted to come by to see a deer he killed. It was a fine buck and laying in his truck was that old Winchester. I ask if I might look at it and what ammo he was using. He pulled out a half empty box of 30-30 and I first noticed the price sticker. I mentioned the great price and he said he bought the box when he inherited the gun many years ago and said proudly it will probably last me another 10 years.

During our discussion I ask him if he ever bought a handgun like we'd discussed a few years ago. He said yes and wanted to know if I'd like to see it. Off he went to find it and about 5 minutes later handed me a blue box containing the 9mm. As I examined the gun, excellent brand, I noticed it looked brand new and the magazines hadn't even been loaded. I ask if he had used it and he proudly said he'd never had a need so far. I ask what ammo he bought and he ask his wife if she knew where the "box of pistol ammo" was. Off she went in a different direction to find it.

This video reminds me of my friend. The video, in my opinion, portrays a completely unrealistic scenario.

Where's the training ammo? Whether your punching paper or doing realistic "combat" drills you should be practicing sight picture and trigger control, malfunction drills including FTF and FTE, magazine reloading under stress plus basic weapons safety and handling. Most folks I know who "regularly" train fire 100 to 300 plus rounds of pistol ammo per month. That's a thousand to over three thousand per year just for training. Add an AR or AK and you double that amount just to achieve minimum proficiency.

While the video say individuals are not going up against an organized army unit, thats OK. But in a SHTF scenario where people are starving or simply out stealing anything they see to buy drugs you may face a completely different situation where your one box of ammo turns that pistol into a high priced hammer! Doubt many of you remember the politically motivated riots of the 60s and 70s but given the political divide in this country we may see this again.

Be aware and be realistic regarding ammo. However, I certainly agree with one point in the video - you don't barter ammo! It has a propensity to come back at you!

Regards
Good point. Practice, practice, practice. Why? Because #1 it’s fun for “gun folk,” and #2, for “just in case.”
However, I don’t think that anyone “needs” 1k rounds “in case it hits the fan.” I don’t think it’ll ever hit the fan like the preppers are planning for. Let’s be honest, “prepping” is more of a hobby than being prepared. We tell our wives that we need x amount of this and that so we can rationalize our spending. Preppers always say, “God forbid I ever have to use this..,” but deep down I kind of think they do. The fantasy gives them a break from reality and their mundane lives. I get it.
I’m too young (37 yrs old) to have lived though the political 60’s & 70’s that you speak of, but how many battles were there? Just the four dead in Ohio? That wasn’t even a battle. There were the watts riots and then the LA riots in the mid 90’s, but the neighborhoods didn’t form alliance to combat the rioters. There was like two Asian shop owners firing shotguns at 200 people. No civilians came to their aid. The rioters were tearing up their own neighborhood for Pete’s sake. I completely agree with the video as far as the militia part goes. If, and this is a BIG IF, we ever have to rise up against the gov, we can’t win homeslice. It was a more even playing field when the constitution was written. We had muskets and so did the government. Now we still have “muskets” and they have aircraft carriers. We don’t stand much of a chance with our weapons that we bought from Academy. Remember the guy that was shooting the cops in Dallas when the black lives matters stuff was going on? He took out a few but they eventually blew him up with a robot. We don’t have robots, drones, tanks, etc, etc. Also, there will never be enough people who will actually fight. Think back to when you were a kid on the playground. There would be one group of kids challenging another group of kids but when it was all said and done it would always end up just two guys going at it and the other twenty kids would just watch.
Buying a bunch of ammo in fear that they might stop selling it is possibly a legit fear, but buying a butt-load in case the shtf is pretty much just supporting a hobby.
Practice practice practice just in case you have to shoot a robber I guess. But at the end of the day the robber always has the upper hand. Why? Because the robber already has his weapon pointed at you in condition one and yours is still in your pants. They found Sadaam in a hole in the desert. They can find us in suburbia using google maps and location services.

On another note, how is one supposed to be a “responsible” gun owner while staying prepared at the same time? In the concealed handgun class they preach to keep your weapons locked up so your kid won’t get to it. If it’s locked away how does one get it in an emergency? Also the law is don’t pull yours out until you’re in danger. By the time you’re in danger it’s too late. Catch 22 huh?

Last edited:
Some people have cars that have 700 hp, not because they need, because they want. Some have $70,000 pickups, some have ammo. To each his own.

Some people have cars that have 700 hp, not because they need, because they want. Some have $70,000 pickups, some have ammo. To each his own.
And some buy toilet paper apparently.
I hear ya on the cars. It’s a hobby, just like fire arms. But those people buy their cars at their leisure. Not when they think the world is coming to an end or because they think gas will be outlawed. Joe Schmo can’t even enjoy a trip to the range because Johnny Hoarder bought up all the ammo.
One thing we can probably all agree on is gun stores love a “crisis” and that Johnny Hoarder helps to drive the prices up.
Hobby- cool
Panic buying- not cool.
End of the world coming and we’ll “need” 10k for rounds- not very likely. The guy with 10k rounds for “when it hits the fan” will probably get killed and have 9,098 rounds left. But I’m fairly certain it’ll never hit the fan. So it remains a fantasy hobby.

Last edited:
Back