• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SA-20 +3 Magazine Extension Installation

Thanks Bobster. You are correct. I have the 20" tactical, cylinder bore that came with no choke and no threads to install one. I had it threaded later. These are fine for HD, trap practice and slugs. My issue was I wanted to use it for tactical competition which involves knocking down steel plates. The 20 ga is at a slight disadvantage against the 12 ga, less metal down range. The added concentration that the choke provided has let me knock down anything so far. This is not to say that if I was a better shot, the cylinder bore would not do the same. I have also put RIO #1 buck through both chokes with no problems.
I use the Trulock extended Precision Hunter (PH), Improved Modified (if there are no slugs in the match) and Improved Cylinder if I have to mix in some slugs. NO SLUGS IN ANYTHING SMALLER THAN CYLINDER OR IMPROVED CYLINDER.
I keep the IC choke in when not in use just in case I had to use it and grabbed a slug or two.

I use the Trulock extended Precision Hunter (PH), Improved Modified (if there are no slugs in the match) and Improved Cylinder if I have to mix in some slugs. NO SLUGS IN ANYTHING SMALLER THAN CYLINDER OR IMPROVED CYLINDER.
Brian J ; you are truly a good feller and thank you for your input.
I will get an improved cylinder and screw it in there !!

What Barrel do you have? Is it threaded? Make sure the threads are correct. I think the factory barrels take Benelli chokes.

I reckon it's threaded ..it's a 20 ga. Turkey Thug , 22" barrel , manufactured in 2013 .
I ordered a Benelli I.C off ebay delivered for $9.99 !

Old thread with a little life, kinda like me :)

I have a JM Pro 930 and decided to get the Turkey 20g for my wife. The 12g she could shoot, but practice would not be fun for her. Per this thread I ordered the 3 Choate extension which is here while I wait on the shotgun. I've been waiting for almost 3 months as everyone was out of stock. Some came in last week and I immediately ordered one. Supposed to be available for pick up on or about Aug 11.

I'll shoot it unmodified just to check it out and then add the extension. Main reason is for HD and I like the 22" barrel and lighter weight. Maybe this spring I'll shoot a turkey. They walk right by my back deck some days...

I ordered the shotgun from Sportsman's Warehouse on July 21 as they sent me an email that morning saying they were now in stock. I called immediately and placed the order. A couple days later I ordered the extension and $140 dollars worth of 20g ammo when I found some #1 buckshot.

Today I get an email from Sportsman's Warehouse telling me my order has been cancelled because they are "out of stock". I called and got nowhere but with a promise a supervisor will call. Sure.

Mistakes get made. But a week later is ridiculous. I now have $200 invested in a shotgun I will not get.

Sportsman's Warehouse is a joke.

Old thread with a little life, kinda like me :)

I have a JM Pro 930 and decided to get the Turkey 20g for my wife. The 12g she could shoot, but practice would not be fun for her. Per this thread I ordered the 3 Choate extension which is here while I wait on the shotgun. I've been waiting for almost 3 months as everyone was out of stock. Some came in last week and I immediately ordered one. Supposed to be available for pick up on or about Aug 11.

I'll shoot it unmodified just to check it out and then add the extension. Main reason is for HD and I like the 22" barrel and lighter weight. Maybe this spring I'll shoot a turkey. They walk right by my back deck some days...

And a shout out to Smokey Mountain Guns and Ammo -
Checking last night I found one there, ordered it online. They answered email this morning almost as fast as I can type them, and it is shipped today complete with a Fedex tracking number. Significantly better price as well. So, excellent service by these folks.

And a shout out to Smokey Mountain Guns and Ammo ... So, excellent service by these folks.

Glad to hear you made out, Barry! :) Welcome to the forum if I haven't welcomed you already and also welcome to SA-20 ownership. I try to buy $20 (4 boxes) of #6/#7? when I am in WM. I think it is in the 1200+ fps range which should function nicely in these. I have a skeet choke in mine--one step narrower than cylinder so able to run just about anything including slugs.

Hi Bobster
I think this thread was the final reason I decided on the SA-20 Turkey. It's in town and my FFL was closed for lunch when they tried to deliver, so it will get delivered on Monday, which is OK.

I'll stock up on birdshot the same way since it has a good price and is useful. I rarely leave WM without something in 12g, so now I just alternate with 20g. Ammo arrived this evening so I'm good in the short term, just need to get the Turkey and take it to the range. I'll put a few rounds through it before I take my better half for training. I'll probably go to something like a skeet choke as well.

Thanks for the welcome! I've been here for a few years but pretty quiet lately. Maybe this will pick me up for a while. And thanks for this thread.

I rarely leave WM without something in 12g, so now I just alternate with 20g.

Shotgun shells are one of the few things still on the shelf at WM. 20ga doesn't seem as popular as 12ga. Instead of buying the 100rd case of 8/9 for $22 or whatever it is, I buy 4x 25rd of 7/8 which is a little hotter for $6 box. Enjoy brother, and don't be shy and feel free to post pics. :)

. Enjoy brother, and don't be shy and feel free to post pics. :)

I'll get a pic up next week sometime of a standard Turkey. I'm curious if the "lip" in the magazine you had to take off is still there. No problem if it is, but I'll want to put a few rounds out before I make any warranty removing modifications :)

Well, the lip is still there. Haven't been to the range yet, hope to go next week. I will not add the extension until I've got it broken in. Seems you need a URL to put a picture up, and I no longer have one for photo's.

I'm up to about 300 rounds of 20g stocked now, picked up two 15 round boxes of #3 buck at Wal Mart this evening. And they now have guns in stock. They've been out for at least two months and received stock this week. While waiting I helped a gentleman pick out a shotgun for HD. Mossberg Maverick 88 pump. 20g, 22" barrel. Good price at $188.00 I thought.

I just hope he takes my advice and gets some training, He was "green".

Last edited:
Hi Bobster

Hey sir. New member with a SA-20 tactical. I happened on to the post with your very helpful pictures. I received a Choate 2 round extension in the mail today and it contained the extension , spring, and bracket for slings. If I tackle this project will I need a new follower other than the OEM one?

Hi all. I haven’t seen any posts here in quite a while so I thought I’d chime in and say hello while I was at it.
Zekester, Bobster is the resident expert on these guns and a great source of knowledge.
That said, I am using the stock follower as the one I got from Choate actually prevented one round from loading. I also use a blue follower from brown elks that is Teflon coated. I like the stock best.
I actually have a 4 shot (9+1) extension and it sticks out past my barrel used for 3 gun. Never install or use it in NY as it would be too many. PA only. I have a +2 for NY competition. The stock follower works in all configs. Just change springs.
Great gun. Very dependable even running against the Benelli M4s.

Hi all. I haven’t seen any posts here in quite a while so I thought I’d chime in and say hello while I was at it.
Zekester, Bobster is the resident expert on these guns and a great source of knowledge.
That said, I am using the stock follower as the one I got from Choate actually prevented one round from loading. I also use a blue follower from brown elks that is Teflon coated. I like the stock best.
I actually have a 4 shot (9+1) extension and it sticks out past my barrel used for 3 gun. Never install or use it in NY as it would be too many. PA only. I have a +2 for NY competition. The stock follower works in all configs. Just change springs.
Great gun. Very dependable even running against the Benelli M4s.

Thanks BrianJ! I wonder if any one has tried to heat the magazine tube to remove it? I read somewhere a guy saying he did it by getting a good grip with leather gloves.

I would not say that about me--YOU have plenty more rounds through yours than I do... ;) Besides, I define an "expert" as in "ex" is a has-been and "spert" is a drip under pressure... :D

Welcome aboard, Zeke! :)

Back