• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Well it’s getting bad here guys.

Evidently the winds have shifted, and this fire is threatening the tiny towns of Tollhouse, Auberry and larger community at Shaver Lake: all of which are being evacuated.

This came at a time when the state was begging for out-of-state firefighters to come here and help with ongoing fires.

Between Clovis and the fire lie the San Joaquin River and Millerton lake. They have basically evacuated everybody north of there in the foothills.

I know people with property in the evacuated zone, and that is where our rifle club is also located.

This fire could possibly wipe both the entire town of Shaver Lake, Huntington, plus all the cabins there and at Huntington Lake.

I was just thinking that things were cooling off a little bit maybe next week I could take my grandkids fishing. It’s not going to happen now. Now I’m worried that if the winds get really fast this could come to Clovis.

At this point the fire is called 0% contained in I don’t know how many firefighters are on it. There are some as is evidenced by an easy parts from the area and I think they are mostly trying to protect the evacuation routes and everything else is going to go.

It’s 4 AM in California. The glow of the town lights illuminate the bottom of the smoke cloud that is blowing down from the north.

You can see a faint red glow in the sky over the mountains.

The Fresno Air National Guard (FANG) rescued over 200 campers from the Mammoth Pool area. Many were taken to the hospital for burns and broken bones. Several people were injured trying to escape the fire and there were traffic collisions due to low visibility and people rushing to escape the flames.

Several houses were burned down in the tiny town of Big Creek but the powerhouse, general store, & public school all escaped damage.

Sky cranes have been flying around the clock, dripping water from the local lakes and trying to douse the fire in some areas.
They must have set up a fuel dump closer to the action because they quit flying back-and-forth to the airport for fuel every two hours.

Fortunately we didn’t have any High winds that would force the flames down into the valley. Normally the winds here go up the mountain and not down.

It’s 4 AM in California. The glow of the town lights illuminate the bottom of the smoke cloud that is blowing down from the north.

You can see a faint red glow in the sky over the mountains.

The Fresno Air National Guard (FANG) rescued over 200 campers from the Mammoth Pool area. Many were taken to the hospital for burns and broken bones. Several people were injured trying to escape the fire and there were traffic collisions due to low visibility and people rushing to escape the flames.

Several houses were burned down in the tiny town of Big Creek but the powerhouse, general store, & public school all escaped damage.

Sky cranes have been flying around the clock, dripping water from the local lakes and trying to douse the fire in some areas.
They must have set up a fuel dump closer to the action because they quit flying back-and-forth to the airport for fuel every two hours.

Fortunately we didn’t have any High winds that would force the flames down into the valley. Normally the winds here go up the mountain and not down.

Thanks for the update. Get ready to duck and run if you have to. I have friends in Riverside whose son is a fire jumper. Nasty business. Hope you will be ok.

BTW, 2.3 million acres have burned this year, and our jackaxx governor is blaming global warming.

My neighbor has worked 400+ hours this year as a fire capt. with CalFire.

Last edited:
Actually good afternoon,

Thought you folks might like to see our latest bear visitor from yesterday. We see bears frequently each week when they come to eat pears and apples from our orchard. This picture was taken from 20 yards while he was eating pears.

Magnificent creatures but not to be trusted.

Regards

thumbnail (22).jpeg

My hometown i celebrating 175 years as a city today :D Im celebrating that with a hamburger

This is the old city hall year 1900

Stadshuset.jpg

This an old map showing the area in 1648

Map_of_old_city.jpg

The world oldest skis have been found here in this county ( 5200 years old ) :D

Have a nice weekend everybody

Last edited:
Actually good afternoon,

Thought you folks might like to see our latest bear visitor from yesterday. We see bears frequently each week when they come to eat pears and apples from our orchard. This picture was taken from 20 yards while he was eating pears.

Magnificent creatures but not to be trusted.

Regards

View attachment 23853

That`s awesome! Of all the miles I`ve trekked in the wilderness I`ve never seen one in the wild, tracks and scat but no critter!

8:51 am EDT 19 years ago I got a phone call an hour before my shift was to strart.

Me: Hello
Wayne: Turn on the TV!

Me: What Channel?

Wayne: It doesn't matter! Click
I remember exactly what i did around the time i got the news that day...

I was leaving a school building i was at, studying to PC technician. I met a guy in the hallway. he said: have you heard ?! And he continued about missiles, planes, USA etc.. i cant remeber exactly what he said. I was like.. wtf ? I continued through the hallway, heading to the exit. A door to a lunch room was open, the TV was on and on teacher stood there looking.. he said: have you seen this ? I looked.. saw a smoking building. Then they said the Pentagon was attacked ! I just frozed.. many thoughts filling my head. Then i heard something about some aircraft carrier / fleet, leaving some base.. I was seriously thinking: Is it war ? world war III ? I was stressed and confused at the same time. I took my bike towards home and hastly dropped by a friend and tried to share the news, the importance of what was happening... and he was like: and ? I got so stressed / upset that he didnt understand the impact of what was going on.. Then i went home...

The world changed drastically after that day...

A note: After years of studying this event.. ( Yes i really have studied this ) i firmly believe that 9/11 was an inside job..

Last edited:
That`s awesome! Of all the miles I`ve trekked in the wilderness I`ve never seen one in the wild, tracks and scat but no critter!

Elbert, I was looking at some muddy tracks last week likely from one swimming in one of our ponds and the footprint length was that of a legal size envelope which I happen to have from getting the day's mail. We've had three different bears around in the last couple of weeks. Each has its own recognizable markings. Some days they might come around 3 or 4 times, both day and night, then other days nothing. One like in the above picture is several hundred pounds and while they tend to be very docile they can run like hell. We always marvel at how fat and shiny they are. Very healthy and well groomed..

However, never to be trusted and we're armed any time were out.

Regards

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

Every 911 I wake up thinking did somebody try it again? And I turn on the news. I expect a copycat someday.

The firefighting continues 24/7. Today there is less smoke and ash, because the fire is burning itself out somewhat.

I’ve been spending most of my time outdoors working in the boat yard, and I finally succeeded in creating al a small wood lathe Out of junk I’ve been collecting for years. I bought a few U-bolts and a piece of 5/8 shaft but everything else came out of my collection of junk parts. (I sat that old iron bell housing there as ballast. It doesn’t serve any function.)

FB19B679-E506-4FC7-A676-4592B670BC51.jpeg
I haven’t built a tailpiece for it yet but I managed to turn this small bowl which is actually a large coaster.

Mostly I wanted to use this as a disc sander, Buffer, and to turn small knobs, so I can make a matched dash set for my car.

I’m not really that into woodwork. But I will post a better picture of my coaster in the woodshop thread.

Something to ponder over your morning coffee.

If the west coast fires are a result of global warming as we're being told. Then what caused the 17 inches of snow last week in Wyoming?

Regards

Last edited:
Good afternoon Mossberg Owners.

It’s a very smoky Sunday here in this normally Sonny San Joaquin Valley.

Hanging out in the shed with my Internet devices, my tools, and a tank of oxygen, for the duration.

Or until I get hungry, because there’s this pork loin that wants me to barbecue it. But right now the Gardener’s are out there spewing two-stroke fumes into the smoggy atmosphere. I’m desperately trying to avoid breathing that.

Otherwise I have been sorting through my collection of abrasives and wire wheels and so forth, and trying to sort out all of my nuts and bolts which were in a disastrous mess.

This is on the electric motor That I had been saving to use on my lathe.

B2C921DB-9A6B-46A7-BE06-4D353AE97A8D.jpeg
This is just a 1/3 hp motor but it is extremely heavy duty, and it was powering a 1950s model exercycle which someone gave me.

Back