• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MOLLE II/ALICE Shotshell Belt- Low Profile Ammo Rig

S.R. Crawford

.270 WIN
I saw something somewhere about using MOLLE grenade pouches to carry shotshells. I have an old Iraq War FLC with a few on it so I gave it a go. I found I could fit up to twelve 12ga shotshells in one of the older style pouches but the snap closure is a real PITA to snap shut on a bunch of loose shotshells. Plus these pouches were already tied up on my FLC. I managed to get a bunch of the newer London Bridge Trading pouches for cheap on Ebay and found that the modern plastic snap buckle works a lot better. Some quick work with an ALICE pistol belt and I had a neat little rig finished.

IMG_20200916_155642.jpg

IMG_20200916_155632.jpg

The LBT pouches are a bit smaller than the MOLLE II pouches, they only hold 8 shells. However they have the ability to tighten down over the shells and hold them tight so none escape out the sides of the pouch. I have 6 pouches for a total of 48 shells. I still need to round it out with my knife and maybe a canteen or two but for now it's functional. I'll get some more action pics once I have it finished.
It weighs about as much as you'd expect 48 rounds of birdshot to weigh but the stiff ALICE belt supports it well. The way I have it set up most of the weight is offset to the left but it's not really noticeable.
Let me know what y'all think.

I like your adapted ammo carrier.

Here is a suggestion. If you are going to use it when you are going to need quick reloads, try putting all the shells in oriented the same way. That way you will be able to grab more than one at a time and you will be able to stuff them in the gun with out looking at them.

When I was shooting 3-gun competition I used military gasmask carriers that held my shotgun reloads.
I carried 1 extra 10-round drum and 2 6-round box mags for my 500A.

I like your adapted ammo carrier.

Here is a suggestion. If you are going to use it when you are going to need quick reloads, try putting all the shells in oriented the same way. That way you will be able to grab more than one at a time and you will be able to stuff them in the gun with out looking at them.

When I was shooting 3-gun competition I used military gasmask carriers that held my shotgun reloads.
I carried 1 extra 10-round drum and 2 6-round box mags for my 500A.
That's a good point, I'll give it a try. They fit a little better staggered but I'm sure I could make it work.

I went ahead and added a knife, it's an Ontario Spec-Plus Tanto. I managed to fit a canteen too but it got a little heavy, I'd rather use a Camelbak for hunting and my FLC carries two canteens.

Yeah, I'd rather lose a little storage capacity so I didn't have to fiddle with it if I needed to dip into them.

I used an old shotgun bandolier for a sling on one of my shotguns and I always keep the shells oriented the same.

Back