• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SHOTGUN: Holographic/Red Dot Sight Options

Hey guys! I am in the market for a red dot sight for my 590A1, to strap to my Black Aces rail. I read through the first many pages on this thread, but couldn't read every page.

Would a low profile red dot be good for my shotgun?

I then seen a used Bushnell TRS26 for sale and was thinking of that...

Please let me know what you guys think!

Hey guys! I am in the market for a red dot sight for my 590A1, to strap to my Black Aces rail. I read through the first many pages on this thread, but couldn't read every page.

Would a low profile red dot be good for my shotgun?

I then seen a used Bushnell TRS26 for sale and was thinking of that...

Please let me know what you guys think!
EDIT: Sorry, @CanuckBuck welcome to MO!

I put a TruGlo reflex sight with a low mount onto one of my guns recently and it works great...easy to sight in and dead nuts accurate. Didn't need a boresighter...was pretty close right out of the box. Because you are used to sighting your shotgun along the top of the bore, it's more familiar to use a low mounted optic than one mounted higher...at least that's how I feel about it.

Assuming you're in Canada...picked mine up at GoTenda.com back in June. Was a bit slow to ship but with covid and all...well who knows. I'm noticing the "better, budget" brands are disappearing quick online. I'd recommend you not wait much longer unless you have a local source. There are a precious few recent offerings online I've seen for TruGlo, Bushnell, Vortex and Burris. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money with anything less than one of these brands. I have a Firefield red dot in my cabinet that I couldn't resist picking up 50% off @ Cabela's...dirt cheap. And, it feels kinda cheap. I may never use it...LOL.

EDIT: Sorry, @CanuckBuck welcome to MO!

I put a TruGlo reflex sight with a low mount onto one of my guns recently and it works great...easy to sight in and dead nuts accurate. Didn't need a boresighter...was pretty close right out of the box. Because you are used to sighting your shotgun along the top of the bore, it's more familiar to use a low mounted optic than one mounted higher...at least that's how I feel about it.

Assuming you're in Canada...picked mine up at GoTenda.com back in June. Was a bit slow to ship but with covid and all...well who knows. I'm noticing the "better, budget" brands are disappearing quick online. I'd recommend you not wait much longer unless you have a local source. There are a precious few recent offerings online I've seen for TruGlo, Bushnell, Vortex and Burris. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money with anything less than one of these brands. I have a Firefield red dot in my cabinet that I couldn't resist picking up 50% off @ Cabela's...dirt cheap. And, it feels kinda cheap. I may never use it...LOL.

Hey there cmcdonald! Thanks the assistance! My research did lead me to those brands that you mentioned - "TruGlo, Bushnell, Vortex and Burris". I was up late last night trying to decide, and found at a decent price a Vortex Crossfire LED Upgrade. I purchased it second hand, but the fellow who bought it new said it didn't even leave his house. So I am waiting on it in the mail.

The front coloured lens and the price is what drew me to making the purchase. The lens shouldn't fog up (which is a big deal for me here in Canada). Seems versatile enough that if I ever want it on a rifle at a later time I can easily do so.

Thanks again!

Hey there cmcdonald! Thanks the assistance! My research did lead me to those brands that you mentioned - "TruGlo, Bushnell, Vortex and Burris". I was up late last night trying to decide, and found at a decent price a Vortex Crossfire LED Upgrade. I purchased it second hand, but the fellow who bought it new said it didn't even leave his house. So I am waiting on it in the mail.

The front coloured lens and the price is what drew me to making the purchase. The lens shouldn't fog up (which is a big deal for me here in Canada). Seems versatile enough that if I ever want it on a rifle at a later time I can easily do so.

Thanks again!
No problem...sounds like a good deal. I really like many of the offerings from Vortex. But, I'm genetically predisposed to being cheap (hence the McDonald part)...that's why after months of humming and hawing over a really nice set of Vortex "knockers" at Cabela's I walked out with a set of Nikon Prostaff that were on sale for 50 bucks cheaper! LOL! Just can't help myself. What part of the country are you from? I'm on the "left" coast...Southwest BC.

I hear ya. The sights out there are quite expensive. I am in Southern Ontario. Niagara region.
Pricey they are. Never been out east, but of course would like to see Niagara Falls in person one day as well as travel right out to the Maritimes.

Niagara Falls is like every day stuff... It is a cool sight once you see it. But when you see it the second time, it has the same flow as the first time.

I want to travel Canada, and the Maritimes would be one of the first areas on my list (because I love the lobster!!!) Anywhere but here would be my destination :)

And if I can hunt some big game along the way, that would just sweeten the whole experience!

Back