• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month (January 2021) (Gun/Ammo Shortages)

I think the answer to that one rides a lot on how the Georgia senate runoffs go. If the Dems win, I predict that we will NEVER return to anything reassembling the past prices and availability. If they do not win those seats, I think it could be back in a year. Take care. Tom Worthington

Politics aside, while I agree with Tom regarding the potential impact of the Georgia race, I think these folks who are scouting out ammo every day to buy it up for future resell are the real problem. The ammo manufactures, especially Federal and Hornady, are running at high production rates and shipping ammo the same day it's manufactured. Demand has outstripped normal inventory levels but ammo is still being distributed to retail outlets.

However, at the retail level, much like we saw a few years ago regarding. 22 rimfire, a handful of worthless individuals are showing up when the doors open each morning and buying up everything that hits the shelf that day. Why does anyone need five boxes of 30-06 hunting rounds or 500 shotshells. These guys and gals go store to store and know when shipments are expected.

I sincerely hope these horders see the day when they are forced to eat these high priced rounds. I'm sure many them are just now trying to sell .22 they bought years ago.

We all need to be responsible buyers not horders. Once shelf levels return and normal demand resumes, prices will moderate.

Regards

It all depends on how much false sense of security that public gets from Washington and state legislatures

I think prices on all of the stuff will continue to rise and availability will continue to fall.

Part of that will be from government actions but part of that will be from consumer buying.

Part of it will be plain old inflation.

How long will the shortages and high prices on guns and ammo continue?

Shortages haven't hit really hard here yet. But prices are starting to climb, just like they did before (2013-15) and I think partly due to inflation and demand they will continue to climb and set a new price point....once again. I'm also expecting to see the push to ban lead ammo ramp up over the foreseeable future along with increased taxation on firearms, accessories and ammo. I'm no expert but my guess is that's where we are headed. All will contribute to higher prices although more ammo may become available due to the increased cost...that is unless the lead ban succeeds. Then ammo will be scarce until manufacturers source raw materials and re-tool accordingly.

We have lefty administrations both sides of the border with aggressive anti-gun and progressive green agendas...it does not bode well for the economy nor for hunters and shooters.

I agree with Tom regarding the GA runoffs. My fear is that it will be another "steal" with the same old slimedia: "nothing abnormal to see here--quit your bitching!" :rolleyes: Should this scenario unroll, expect the dumpos to roll out all manner of gun-control legislation with knashing teeth and wringing hands. :eek: Aside from massive non-compliance, I could only hope to see deserved, targeted dropping of bad-bodies to "send the message" that the laws are unjust. Yes, that would be anarchy and I certainly hope it doesn't come to that.

Assuming Bidet is sworn in but the Senate stays in Repo hands, expect the next "sleepers" to do mass shootings probably beginning soon after inauguration to garner public support for more gun laws which Bidet will then execute with his pen. Things like banning imported ammo and so on. Again, mass non-compliance will be the rule and an ATF agent will have one of the most dangerous jobs in America due to pushback (shootback?)... ;)

PS: to answer the question--up to 2 years, especially if election methods are overhauled to be honest and the H of R becomes Republican again...

Last edited:
I see that they built the reviewing stand for the Biden inauguration in Washington, but today they tore it all back down.

Of course Biden says it’s because of Covid. That would be a bad omen.

Except that It’s a very good omen, because we know it’s not because of Covid, but because of the massive Trump support rally already gathering in DC. They didn’t want the news cameras to photograph the spectacle of patriots burning Biden’s stand to the ground.

Republicans storm the capital and Joe Biden cancels his inauguration parade?

I have to say that I was surprised to see this all happen.

Republicans storm the capital and Joe Biden cancels his inauguration parade?

I have to say that I was surprised to see this all happen.

Me too, but I understand peoples frustration.

I hated the coverage, once again its all Trumps fault.

Dems can burn a city to the ground and it's a peaceful protest. Trump supporters get a little upset and its the worst thing to happen to America.

If we're assigning blame my vote goes to the media

Me too, but I understand peoples frustration.

I hated the coverage, once again its all Trumps fault.

Dems can burn a city to the ground and it's a peaceful protest. Trump supporters get a little upset and its the worst thing to happen to America.

If we're assigning blame my vote goes to the media
A big fat +1000% on that one Mike. I just about spit out my coffee listening to the descriptions of what was really happening vs how they were headlining it. Headline: ARMED STANDOFF!! Actual report: Cops pointing guns at protestors.

Well, there you have it. BOTH Georgia senate seats go to the Democrats. Watch and see just how long the shortages of guns and (especially) ammunition go on. I am betting forever. Place yours. Take care. Tom Worthington

Watching the videos of the capital whatever they are calling it, I see a lot of helmeted civilians wearing backpacks with what looks like possible weapons peeking out, I see green lasers being aimed at LEos, I see a real willingness to confront the police, and I see bicycle racks and a few black umbrellas. I am not saying antifa is involved or any such thing, but, there are a lot of similarities. Just sayin.

Watching the videos of the capital whatever they are calling it, I see a lot of helmeted civilians wearing backpacks with what looks like possible weapons peeking out, I see green lasers being aimed at LEos, I see a real willingness to confront the police, and I see bicycle racks and a few black umbrellas. I am not saying antifa is involved or any such thing, but, there are a lot of similarities. Just sayin.
You and I saw the same thing...there were a lot of bodies and a ton of crappy video so really hard to distinguish...but something about a lot of those protestors didn't sit right with me...many did not look like the regular Trump supporters, 3%'ers, patriots and others we've become familiar with seeing so often. Not saying it wasn't...and I really can't explain it, just something about it all didn't sit right with me. Probably means nothing...so weigh my 2 cents as such.

On topic: I posted this link in the other ammo thread as well but it's relevant to the discussion here too.

https://www.guns.com/news/2020/12/21/federal-gives-the-411-on-the-great-2020-ammo-shortage

Last edited:
Some known Antifa guys were ID'd from video, and are being sought/arrested. I read one was arrested yesterday.

Watching the NTD (Nippon TV) feed the crowd looked 10x larger than the ABC/CBS/CNN coverage I saw, and it seems only a very small percentage of the 500,000 marchers entered the buildings.

Police shot a white woman dead, but BLM is calling this a racist event. "Whitelash".
I imagined that "whitelash" would be like what BLM is doing to black folks.

Anyhow, over 50 people were arrested, and not all of them were white folks.

Most folks marching were 100% peaceful.

Watch the foreign news feeds if you can, and it looks a lot different. The joke about the Capitol falling in just 20 minutes, to a horned Wookie and Harry Potter is amusing, but we know the Capitol had fallen and has been occupied by the swamp, for several decades.

Watch those swamp creatures drown any voice that doesn't speak the official mantra. They can't allow free elections. We'll get to vote for the approved candidates. Only.

Congress will do exactly what Zuckerberg and Dorsey want. They'll drive the USA into chaos for money & false political reasons.

The Hart Senate building rotunda was "occupied" during the Kavanaugh confirmation hearing. I wonder what caused those good folks to do that.

That action did get some attention, but nothing like this week's protest.

My personal opinion is with the Dems controlling the senate, house, and White House they will use this past week, and a few others to start on gun control in earnest. Raise taxes on guns and ammo. Require proof of liability insurance gun specific, outright ban on what they consider "assault and or military style weapons" and large capacity magazines.

I am not a lawyer, nor am I 300 years old, so I have no idea what the founders were actually thinking. I have however read the second and have not seen any words pertaining to military weapons. My somewhat limited knowledge also leads me to believe that the or a "militia" would have consisted of folks like us. To that end, I think the founders actually wanted the militia, i.e. us to be equipped to do battle with the British.

Last edited:
The media is Americas greatest threat. They report what thay want with the slant they want there is minimal accuracy or truth in what they "report".

It is sad that so many just absorb their source of choice without question.

I no longer listen to much to any main stream media source. I follow podcasts, blogs, etc of people that i feel are critical of both the left snd right.

One tactic of destroying a society is ti create dustrust in everything . We seem to be heading there at an astonishing rate.

Another is to break down all social/gender roles. Once again we are racing to the finish line.

Either by chance or design we are devolving at an increasing rate. Social media is a key factor in that. Big Tech and the media have to much control over what we perceive is happening in the world. This is not going to change in the next 2 years, or more.

GA was key as the right has no ringers for the midterms. I hate to say it but Trump hurt the GA candidates more than he helped. His insistence that he was the winner prevented them from running as the last line of defense against a Biden presidency which probably would have pulled more conservatives to the polls.

Back