• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 metal safety upgrade...."Just look at a youtube tutorial they said"

Chaco

.22LR
Honestly I cant blame youtube but it makes me feel better lol. Any forum member figured out how to dis/reasemble the 930 safety as it conects to the trigger pack ? I recently installed a metal safety upgrade WITHOUT ANY CONSIDERATION TO ORIENTATION...till halfway thru the install. Result: gun stays in safety mode despite safety position. I can see the hammer hitting the 360°bar its in thus not allowing it to strike the back of the firing pin. Ive tried all kinds of reasembly but the 930 is not a gun with many videos with regard to the function of safety trigger relation. That I can find anyway. Any members familiar with the 930 correct safety orientation / reinstall or can recomend a diagram or video.

Someone will probably be along within a day that can tell you better than I can as I don't have a 930. Maybe try Jerry Miculek's gootoob channel? He is a 930 guy--in fact he even has a few models bearing his initials! :)

BTW Chaco, Welcome Aboard! :)

First, I'll start off with a tip you'll wish you knew before you replaced the safety. :laugh: On the 500, 590. & 930, cock the shotgun (you DID make sure it's unloaded, right?) and leave it that way when replacing the safety button. This will keep the safety block from falling out inside the shotgun. Now you know.

Here's a youtube video that's for the 500, but the 930 works the same way.

A. Made sure gun was unloaded. B. Thats where reason went out the window.. indeed theres a bar that goes from the tang to the trigger surface I see that now. Even tried reasembly upsidedown. No matter how I try the hammer stays in the loop and can not strike the firing pin.

I wish I could provide more help, but I'm not that good with it.

Something is definitely not assembled correctly.

I think there are only two ways to orient the internal portion. One works the other does not. LOL

I'll try to look at mine and post a pic tomorrow.

Was the pic helpful?

The metal piece to the rear needs to be able to move upward when the safety is OFF and is locked in the downward position when the safety is ON. (By Downward, i mean down when the receiver is oriented as it would be while shooting i.e safety button in top.)

Img-1609510626161.jpg this is the metal linkage that moves.

Pics Was helpful. Though i wound up taking it to a local smith. Cost was really cheap, its done waiting on me to pick up. Will report soon.

UPDATE / CONCLUSION : Never really saw or hear where exactly I went wrong but the gun does fire like a champ. When I picked it up from the gunsmith I called ahead 10 min & asked if he had a minute to show me what he did...without saying it he wanted me to just pay, pick it up and be gone despite being on site. He did agree to meet with me, I get there & he puts the gun between us on counter then went to unscrew the mag tube by hand, he previously mentioned that I had simply reasembled the action tube end incorectly not allowing the bolt to sit as forward as needed to let the hammer strike corectly. Mind you Ive been disassembling this gun for 3 or so years maybe 3-4k rds shot & dissembled after every 200 or so rds to clean the carbon & trash from piston / action area. He goes to remove the tube strugles and pouts then goes to find some pliers wich he never found, he quikly comented How these two parts were backward etc. Once I figured out that it was gona look like I always asemble it & since I was on my way to work I just paid and left. I could see thru the charging handle opening that it was striking as it should vs when I had left it so I know he did "something" I just didnt get to see what. My take away from this is , 60 bucks to get my favorite shotty going again was soooo worth it lol. And I will continue to clean after every outing, exept I will not fudge around with the safety togle. Side note I went thru 100rds of Win 1200 #7 Wallyworld universal 4pack today along with 125rds of Monarch 1350 #7 dovenclay like gangbusters not one malfunction minus one soft shoulder jam caused by me with the Win 1200. It was all about fast fire function testing today as the indoor range allows BEASTMODE shooting. Its where I go to get that warm fuzzy fealing from the 930 when it running like a champ *

UPDATE / CONCLUSION : Never really saw or hear where exactly I went wrong but the gun does fire like a champ. When I picked it up from the gunsmith I called ahead 10 min & asked if he had a minute to show me what he did...without saying it he wanted me to just pay, pick it up and be gone despite being on site. He did agree to meet with me, I get there & he puts the gun between us on counter then went to unscrew the mag tube by hand, he previously mentioned that I had simply reasembled the action tube end incorectly not allowing the bolt to sit as forward as needed to let the hammer strike corectly. Mind you Ive been disassembling this gun for 3 or so years maybe 3-4k rds shot & dissembled after every 200 or so rds to clean the carbon & trash from piston / action area. He goes to remove the tube strugles and pouts then goes to find some pliers wich he never found, he quikly comented How these two parts were backward etc. Once I figured out that it was gona look like I always asemble it & since I was on my way to work I just paid and left. I could see thru the charging handle opening that it was striking as it should vs when I had left it so I know he did "something" I just didnt get to see what. My take away from this is , 60 bucks to get my favorite shotty going again was soooo worth it lol. And I will continue to clean after every outing, exept I will not fudge around with the safety togle. Side note I went thru 100rds of Win 1200 #7 Wallyworld universal 4pack today along with 125rds of Monarch 1350 #7 dovenclay like gangbusters not one malfunction minus one soft shoulder jam caused by me with the Win 1200. It was all about fast fire function testing today as the indoor range allows BEASTMODE shooting. Its where I go to get that warm fuzzy fealing from the 930 when it running like a champ *

Why did you want to do the upgrade originally? Was the OEM one not functioning?

Sorry it took so long. Not sure these really help, i did not fully disassemble it.

View attachment 24350 View attachment 24351 View attachment 24352
What does the top look like on a Mossberg 930 safety block? Can't find any information and the schematic doesn't show the safety block. I called Mossberg and have gotten every part for the safety except the safety block. the part that the safety button screws into. Is it like the Mossberg 500? Any help is appreciated. THANKS

Chaco & jerrytannere,
I removed the trigger assembly from my 930 and looked at how it interfaces with the safety. Note I have also installed a Brownell’s type metal safety on this 930 previously. I like the upgrade and it’s on all my Mossy pumps and 930’s.

The operation of the safety is as follows:
1. With the safety in the back position (ie. safety on) the safety lock Part #54 sits on top of the “safety transfer bar” (Mossy does not give a part number for this, it’s part of the bolt buffet assembly part #5). This safety transfer bar in turns sits right on top of the trigger part # 74 and prohibits it from moving. In one of the photos I’ve highlighted these two parts.
2. With the safety in the forward position (ie. safety off) the safety lock part #54 is moved forward in the buffer assembly raceway and thus is no longer sitting on top of the safety transfer bar. This allows the trigger to move reward and the gun will fire.
I have included some pics and the Mossberg 930 schematic for your info. Note There are 2 pics that show this “safety transfer bar” with the safety on and the safety off. Notice how it moves out of the way so that the trigger can move. I hope this helps.

On installing a metal safety on the Mossberg 930. Unlike the Mossberg 500 series the 930 bolt does not need to be in the rear position in order to preform this upgrade. The safety lock part #54 is held in position by the bolt buffer assembly part #5 regardless of the bolts open or closed position or the safety being on or off. Personally I would do it in the safety on position and absolutely no ammunition in the gun or in close proximity!

Chaco,
I can’t answer why you had problems when you made the upgrade but it seems you have everything up and working now. As far as your gunsmith experience goes I would find another gunsmith.

Attachments

• 389860A9-F7D8-4B25-8F30-880910B38F49.jpeg
    389860A9-F7D8-4B25-8F30-880910B38F49.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 0B99548A-08E8-4606-AFB1-79A83B4A93A0.png
    0B99548A-08E8-4606-AFB1-79A83B4A93A0.png
    759.7 KB · Views: 12
  • CB4E6932-42C0-4079-B419-E9D96380DF14.jpeg
    CB4E6932-42C0-4079-B419-E9D96380DF14.jpeg
    248.3 KB · Views: 15
  • AF5C81DA-D9F9-41DC-8F9B-940CBC0EE739.jpeg
    AF5C81DA-D9F9-41DC-8F9B-940CBC0EE739.jpeg