• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Turkey Gun - Safe to shoot Magnum Blend Hevi-Shot?

mknowlesus

Copper BB
I just purchased the Mossberg 930 Turkey Edition that comes with the Accu XX Turkey Choke. The manual says that you can ONLY shoot lead shot of this choke. The choke is .670. I don't plan on shooting steel or Tungsten but not sure if the loads, such as Magnum Blend and Winchester Supreme Elite loads, that say they are heavier than lead, would still be safe to shoot?

Thanks,

Welcome to Mossberg Owners from E TN.
index.php

I don't have the expertise to give you guidance you are looking for about the heavy shot, but I'll bet someone here will show up in a few days with some knowledgeable advice for you.

Welcome to Mossberg Owners from E TN.
index.php

I don't have the expertise to give you guidance you are looking for about the heavy shot, but I'll bet someone here will show up in a few days with some knowledgeable advice for you.
Yeah I also sent a message to Mossberg asking about this but figured the forum here could provide some good guidance.

Contacting Mossberg was definitely a smart move. If you screw up your gun by taking bad advice, you will have better chance of recovery if it came from the manufacturer.

When you get a response from OFM we would like to hear from you about that.

Last edited:
Surprisingly not all turkey chokes are hevi-shot compatable. Its likely is not.

Why don't you just call the manufacturer?
I did open a ticket with them but was also looking for feedback from the forum if someone else was using this setup etc. I did hear back from Mossberg today. They stated "The blended shells should be OK. Shoot a few rounds for testing and verify that you are not getting a large amount of lead build up in the barrel."

I will test this out, although I figured the issue would be at the choke end and not just build up in the barrel.

Well shot the Magnum Blend hevi-shot today and seems to work fine. I am probably going to buy a choke that says it is made for the hevi-shot just to be safe. At 25 yards it was a really nice pattern. At 50 not so good, but still enough shot to kill a turkey with a head shot?

upload_2021-1-25_15-13-16.png upload_2021-1-25_15-12-40.png

Back