• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bladder Cancer Biopsies

hombre243

.30-06
Hi all,
I had another bladder cancer biopsy Monday, 26 April, 2021. I went in for a bladder checkup a couple weeks ago and they said there was nothing in the labs that said positively that there is more cancer to treat. However the doc who examined me said the labs came back more negative than positive but, the results were suspicious, thus the biopsies.

I have been up 4 times since I went to bed, and am having excruciating burning down in that area where they inserted the catheter and I think the little balloon has collapsed part way and the cath is trying to work its way out.

It is 410 am and I needed to do something to keep my mind occupied. Soooo, here I am. I am not worried about the cancer, but I may get worried if the biopsies reveal I need more surgery and treatments.

The worst part for me is these dang catheters. They don't seem to work well in me. I had to go to the emergency in town here to get another catheter inserted the evening they pulled the cath at Iowa City after my first surgery a couple years ago. The catheter was pulled early and I couldn't urinate. Luckily the VA paid that hospital admittance. If I don't feel better tomorrow I will have to call the emergency number and then go check in to the local hospital. It is supposed to come out Thursday but I am not sure it is ready.

Thanks for reading. I don't like to whine, but dangit, sometimes whining helps a little.

No apologies necessary. Stuff like that is hard on anyone. I'll be sure to say a prayer for you that everything works out fine and you get some comfort in the meantime.

OMG . . . bless you Hombre.
Man, it's making me hurt just to read about this!
Best of luck with the cat . . .argh . . . I can't even say it! I'm not sure my survival instinct is strong enough to deal with such.
I'm scared enough for both of us, and I'm 1000 miles from any . . . urgh . . .biopsies.

OMG . . . bless you Hombre.
Man, it's making me hurt just to read about this!
Best of luck with the cat . . .argh . . . I can't even say it! I'm not sure my survival instinct is strong enough to deal with such.
I'm scared enough for both of us, and I'm 1000 miles from any . . . urgh . . .biopsies.

Caddmann, I am sure you would do ok if you had to undergo this same type of procedure. The only thing you really have to feel is the catheter. The surgeries are all done under general anesthetic. You are awake during cysto where they just go in and snoop, but the worst part of that is having to get naked in front of the doc and nurses. I got used to it very easily. I was always considered a wolf in my heyday so that part comes naturally.:oldman:

Hombre, been there done that.
I've got encouraging news for you.
I am well aware that each case is unique, but I'll share my experience with you.

In early April of 2010 my morning pee was cranberry red.
I had 3 kidney stone problems back from 1984 thru 1996, so I expected this was a reoccurrence.
I drank a lot of water at breakfast and used a jelly jar to collect my next flow.
Took it to my physician and he immediately said that it probably was NOT stones and made telephone call to a urologist to make an appointment for me for 30 minutes later.
Did some imaging scans.
So it was indeed not kidney stones.
The urologist found a cancerous tumor inside my bladder "shaped sort of like a stalk of cauliflower." The head was a little over 30mm. He made an appointment to remove it 2 days later.
It was transurethral recovery. [You already know what that means.] He carved it up and sucked it out and applied topical chemo treatment to the bladder interior. All that was essentially painless.
Good news is that it was successful. I had no problems recovering from the operation. The chemo was not the hair-falling-out type and it was only that one treatment.
I was inspected by endoscope twice a year for 5 years, then once a year for the next 5 years. [My last one was last month. NEGATIVE!] I'm done with my 10 year inspection program. I moved out of state 2 years after the operation and my 2nd urologist said Dr. Wesch did a really great job.

Anyhow... I hope you and your medical team have a result just as successful. But I am well aware of how scary each step is and the agony of wondering how each test sample is going to come out. I had to have 10 years straight of NEGATIVES to get off that observation schedule.

Hombre, been there done that.
I've got encouraging news for you.
I am well aware that each case is unique, but I'll share my experience with you.

In early April of 2010 my morning pee was cranberry red.
I had 3 kidney stone problems back from 1984 thru 1996, so I expected this was a reoccurrence.
I drank a lot of water at breakfast and used a jelly jar to collect my next flow.
Took it to my physician and he immediately said that it probably was NOT stones and made telephone call to a urologist to make an appointment for me for 30 minutes later.
Did some imaging scans.
So it was indeed not kidney stones.
The urologist found a cancerous tumor inside my bladder "shaped sort of like a stalk of cauliflower." The head was a little over 30mm. He made an appointment to remove it 2 days later.
It was transurethral recovery. [You already know what that means.] He carved it up and sucked it out and applied topical chemo treatment to the bladder interior. All that was essentially painless.
Good news is that it was successful. I had no problems recovering from the operation. The chemo was not the hair-falling-out type and it was only that one treatment.
I was inspected by endoscope twice a year for 5 years, then once a year for the next 5 years. [My last one was last month. NEGATIVE!] I'm done with my 10 year inspection program. I moved out of state 2 years after the operation and my 2nd urologist said Dr. Wesch did a really great job.

Anyhow... I hope you and your medical team have a result just as successful. But I am well aware of how scary each step is and the agony of wondering how each test sample is going to come out. I had to have 10 years straight of NEGATIVES to get off that observation schedule.

Thanks Scoop. This is my second go around. I was first diagnosed in early 2016. First came the bladder cystos, then biopsies. I had surgery 2 times to remove the cancerous tissues, then a wait to get the bladder chemo. Mine was a dormant form of TB. I went 1 time a week for 6 weeks. 3 months later, same regimen, then 3 mo later, once more 1/week/6 weeks. There was no adverse reactions to the treatments. I am waiting for the results to come back for this series of biopsies. Fingers are crossed and prayers are sent.

I think the worst part for cancer patients is that chemo and radiation makes them sicker than the cancer does. Not only is their immune system pulled down but also their spirit from feeling so rotten for so long.

Thanking God I am on the type of chemical wash that is very easy on my system. It is formulated to build the immune system and help the body do the work of killing the cancer. So far it has worked well.

Thanks for the details of your treatment experience. I hope yours is now done pestering you. Mine has been a bit of a nuisance. I do find my team of doctors and nurses very competent. That makes me confident. I also like one nurse in particular. She said when she sees my name on the list she calls dibs. It is nice to have someone who likes me that much, that she makes sure I get her best, personally. I am blessed to know her.

I have some minor prostate problems, and have had for years, so I live in fear of this shit. I was having real problems 25 years ago and I thought I was going to go through this shit at the age of 40.

I quit drinking coffee, started getting away from the desk, more exercise, started skating again, lost weight, and that all helped.
A Lot.

But the problems have never disappeared completely.

Reading both your stories made me hopeful that I will survive without . . . Well pain, at least, until they invent a pill that cures the whole thing.

I have some minor prostate problems, and have had for years, so I live in fear of this shit. I was having real problems 25 years ago and I thought I was going to go through this shit at the age of 40.

I quit drinking coffee, started getting away from the desk, more exercise, started skating again, lost weight, and that all helped.
A Lot.

But the problems have never disappeared completely.

Reading both your stories made me hopeful that I will survive without . . . Well pain, at least, until they invent a pill that cures the whole thing.

It is amazing how far cancer research has come. I am waiting for results of the biopsies so there may be more surgery on the horizon. At the minimum It is time for more bladder washes (chemical treatments) to give the bladder an immune system boost. Piece of cake. I will look up the name of the treatment and post it if I can.

Voila` here is what I found: BCG Treatment for Bladder Cancer: What to Expect (healthline.com)

You may find this funny...it struck me when I read it...First thought was that if you ever have this treatment type you could call it...the bovis from Clovis.
Forgive me...I couldn't help myself.
h

Last edited:
Back