• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I signed my retirement papers today

The thing is though nitesite, you wore them well.

You did your job. You did good doing your job. And we are all better because of it.

Not everyone who puts on one of those uniforms or takes those oaths should.

Meh, you make it sound like something important. It was my privilege and an honor to wear those uniforms.
And the man is humble too...definitely a loss. Not many like that around anymore, but I'm still glad for the few. Enjoy the time you've worked so hard for nitesite. Like I said before, you earned it...every darn minute of it.

Meh, you make it sound like something important. It was my privilege and an honor to wear those uniforms.

You well know that 90%+ of all people simply could not do even the easy parts of the job.

That’s a big thing that makes it an honor: being capable enough to be chosen, and do well.

Ignoring, any other obvious physical requirements, I could never have qualified for such things because of my eyesight alone.

And as far as importance, our govt puts it up there as an essential job. The evidence of that need becomes more obvious with each passing day.

Between the time spent (nine years) in the US Army plus the years as a cop, I never had to go to the closet and decide which shirt and tie or trousers I should choose to wear that day! Hahahahaaaaaaaaa It sure made getting dressed easy, except for the boot shine part every day......

Nitesite, certainly can relate to wearing the "uniform of the day" both in the military and corporate life. One of the first things I did upon my last retirement 20 plus years ago was to take off my wrist watch which surprisingly reduced the stress.

Now live by a different approach. If I'm hungry, I grab something to eat. If thirsty, I grab a drink. If tired, I take a nap. Don't worry about what time of the day it is anymore. I work as the weather and my old body allows.

Amazing how easy it works. Sometimes I even forget which day of the week it is! But does it really matter. But I've found that I can guess the time of the day within 15 minutes. Close enough.

But, you know the best part, life goes on and the stress of the job is gone!

Bless you for both your military and public safety service brother.

Regards

Last edited:
When I met my first wife I had a drawer full of navy blue socks.

Genuine navy blue socks from the genuine U.S. Navy PX.

Every one of them was identical, so I never bothered to fold them together in pairs.

I would just open the drawer and grab two socks that appeared to match well (age being a factor) And wear them.

This freaked out my wife, who thought she had married a total heathen, once she saw my sock drawer.

She never did learn to understand engineers.

Every one of them was identical, so I never bothered to fold them together in pairs.

I have a couple dozen pairs of white socks. Most are Hanes and identical. As the older socks get worn and holes in them, I'll buy a 6-pack to replenish the supply. I wouldn't consider myself OCD but I'll number the socks by pairs with a Sharpie when I put them into service. Matching up the numbers when folding makes it easier and keeps the wear patterns the same.

As an engineer and programmer I had to do way too much of that mundane stuff to let it interfere with my daily life. I had a much simpler system where, if I took off my socks and one of them had a hole in it, I threw it in a garage drawer to polish with.

Back