• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ruger Scout Rile .308

I don’t know what you can get but here in California it’s 10 rounds.

It will feel slightly weak, but that should shoot a regular Nato round.

But it seems that the NATO round is only 50 K psi and the .308 hunting round is 62K psi.

I had to look that up because I have been loading .308’s at 60k+.

I think the hunting rounds will burn up a typical machine gun action after too few rounds.

I found this, maybe it will help answer your question:
https://www.rugerforum.net/threads/compatible-magazines-for-the-308-gunsite-scout.390315/

Scouts use AICS-type magazines and the metal OEMs are made by Accurate Mag which makes both 5 and 10-round versions.

Magpul makes PMags in the AICS format in both 5 and 10-round capacities.

MDT also makes metal AICS pattern magazines in 5, 10 and 12 round capacities.

Promag does indeed make 10 and 20 round compatible magazines but their other magazines have a very checkered reputation for reliability so purchase at your own risk.

--------------------
I also don't pretend to know the answer about 308/7.62x51 compatibility, but I would be surprised if ruger said they couldn't shoot both. It would only take a few minutes to email them and ask for verification.

The mags look different than my Ruger .308, but looks probably don’t matter. I’ll bet they fit too.

Ruger says some military mags aren’t accurate enough to work reliably in mine.

I still just have the 2 original mags from Ruger.

Kent,

Are those rifles popular in Sweden? Expensive?

Here in the US any good factory .308 ammo is $1.50/ $2 USD per shot and it goes higher when you want ultra premium ammo.

And 7.62x51 ammo is always downloaded (to original 7.62x51 loadings) from factory .308 pressures, because of the military rifles that are not built for modern .308 ammunition. So it is, as a general rule, perfectly safe to shoot in a rifle chambered for .308 Winchester.

I shot all mine up and reloaded it. It probably cost me $2 each to reload.
My hotter rounds are not quite there yet.

Or maybe I'm not good enough to shoot this monster well.

Anyhow, my Speer manual recommends max 52,000 CUP for typical old military weapons. That seems low for targets, but velocities vary a lot at the weight I use: it drops from about 2937 fps to about 2742.

I looked at my notes and the hottest round I have made and shot was only 59,973 psi (from LEE, 2nd edition, page 521, using Varget powder.)

I don't think I finished powdering the really hot .308's. I put all that stuff up a year ago when the lockdown hit. I had plenty ammo and nowhere to go shoot. Now that you can go shoot again here, ammo is so expensive I don't want to go!

I shot all mine up and reloaded it. It probably cost me $2 each to reload.

I put all that stuff up a year ago when the lockdown hit. I had plenty ammo and nowhere to go shoot. Now that you can go shoot again here, ammo is so expensive I don't want to go!

I'm thinking of getting some type of "scout" rifle in either .308/7.62 or .223/5.56.
It stands between these three rifles atm. ( from what i have found so far, is available to me here )

The Ruger ( aprox $1500 )
ruger.png
The Howa 1500 Scout Rifle ( aprox $1000 )
Howa_Scout_Black_High_Res-1024x350.png
or the Mossberg MVP Predator ( aprox $1000 )
84497-d-1-.jpg

I don't know how popular these are here...

Ammo is between $20 to $60 for a box of 20 rounds in .308, depending on brand / quality.

So far I shoot much more accurately with the .223*** but our range only allows paper targets out to 225 yds.

If I ever join the 800+ yard range, this may well change.

***If I had known this would be so, I might not have spent $3000 on the .308 build.

Howa's have a very good reputation here in the UK... Mossbergs and the Ruger Scouts are uncommon.

I think the Rugers are generally too expensive, and people are a little dubious about the Mossberg quality... (I have 2 Mossbergs, ones a tack-driver, and the other was a POS until I had it rebarrelled.)

I hadn't bought any factory ammo for years, but I did recently buy 100 Magtech .308s to try.. that was £68/100... ($95 / €80 )

Back