• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Long as you get it together to pass their standards is fine. You're just going to take it back apart and finish it anyway.

Have you considered using tracing paper to go around the panel where the gauges are on the dash? If you were to be able to find you a nice piece of oak and cut it out and put a nice shiny coat of polyurethane on it, would certainly give it some classy contrast and break up the straight lines some.

Even some decorative routed edges. Example: https://www.amazon.com/MLCS-Wainscoting-Pedestal-Router-Shank/dp/B001G6NBYO

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

This morning I am trying to get my rear fenders re-mounted and as I look at the clock it is already late afternoon. They are nowhere close to aligned and mounted. At this point I have to straighten out the crossmembers and sub framing on the car before I can get anything else aligned. That’s going to mean that I put some temporary framing into this machine and then take it out

@John A. There’s a famous company that makes wood blanks for all sorts of old cars, and I think I can purchase one for this without having to make it myself. But it costs a fortune if you want really nice wood.

Anyhow I’ve got the tools to do it myself if I decide to but that’s a project for the far-flung future.

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

This morning I am trying to get my rear fenders re-mounted and as I look at the clock it is already late afternoon. They are nowhere close to aligned and mounted. At this point I have to straighten out the crossmembers and sub framing on the car before I can get anything else aligned. That’s going to mean that I put some temporary framing into this machine and then take it out

@John A. There’s a famous company that makes wood blanks for all sorts of old cars, and I think I can purchase one for this without having to make it myself. But it costs a fortune if you want really nice wood.

Anyhow I’ve got the tools to do it myself if I decide to but that’s a project for the far-flung future.
I’ve been using a lot of that 12gauge unistrut from Lowe’s. 10’ for $22 isn’t too bad. Since it’s already got holes punched in, you could drill holes in the pan and bolt it together for alignment etc and then take it out and weld in your permanent stuff later. I used in on the trailer and even the side yard gate with fiberglass roof panels sliding into the channel..AF125927-72B9-4F81-AEF8-A140B11EC4CE.jpeg17D31E5C-2113-4CB6-9405-E5B821B62934.jpeg

Hell of a Good Morning!

Here is some interesting Guns & Politics news that makes me smile:

Gun manufacturer Smith & Wesson moving headquarters, some production from Springfield to Tennessee
SPRINGFIELD, MA — Smith & Wesson is moving its headquarters and significant elements of its operations to Maryville, Tennessee, in 2023 — partly in response to a proposed state law that would ban it from making assault-style weapons and certain handguns here.

The company will retain 1,000 jobs and metal cutting and precision manufacturing operations at its 2100 Roosevelt Ave. plant in Springfield. The company will lay off 550 local workers.

“This has been an extremely difficult and emotional decision for us, but after an exhaustive and thorough analysis, for the continued health and strength of our iconic company, we feel that we have been left with no other alternative,” said Mark Smith, president and CEO, in a statement on Thursday.

He specifically cited legislation proposed by Springfield state Rep. Bud Williams and others that, if enacted, would prohibit the company from manufacturing certain firearms in the state that are banned for sale here. That list includes military-style rifles with high capacities and some handguns. The law was proposed in response to mass shootings.

In April, Williams and other backers said they did not anticipate the legislation would cause Smith & Wesson to pull out of the state.

Full article at: --> Gun manufacturer Smith & Wesson moving headquarters, some production from Springfield to Tennessee - masslive.com

Welcome to Tennesee, S&W.

index.php

Hint to migrators from Mass. The proper pronunciation of Maryville in Tennessee is MURVUL.

I hate that so many people are going to lose their jobs though. But, it's not surprising either.

If I were S&W, I would not sell to any government agency inside of Mass-of-two-shits either.

@Rodburner
The last several times I went looking for unistrut, Lowes had exactly one stick and the same thing was true of EMT and conduit. The shelves were virtually cleared out.

The situation at Home Depot was just as bad.

Anyhow I came up with a bunch of used light wall tubing that I think will work quite well in the situation.

Good evening Mossberg Owners.

My buddy Bob and I went out fishing today, but the skies were smoky from the Sequoia fire.
6EDFA3AF-BC28-4C07-902D-260FD455A637.jpeg

I caught one catfish and my buddy Bob got skunked.
2B43C5AA-34DA-40F3-A6E2-973728C3512B.jpeg

Also the propeller on my motor exploded and I had to put on my spare propeller. Fortunately this was easily accomplished out on the water in about five minutes.
39F745AA-8660-4FEA-B7EE-4F71A993D11F.jpeg

Checking out the remains I see there are a bunch of stress cracks right at the root of the blades.
391BF583-4E2D-492C-A0B5-2B67B46000AF.jpeg

The good news is that we didn’t see another boat all day anywhere near us, our boat did not leak, and the weather was very calm and not hot.

I have bought all the new gas powered implements (I'm up to six different ones now since April/May) and now I have muscle aches in places from starting to clear almost two miles of overgrown fence line. Plus my Father-in-Law now knows that I have all this new power equipment and he is already asking me to do a bunch of chores around his place. Yesterday evening I came in from doing one of his great ideas, covered from head to toe with sawdust. :)

Well it’s good news today folks.

After much jaw wagging and online shopping and review reading and video watching, plus a week of shipping, I finally got my new TIG welder.

Now I need to get an argon bottle and a decent welding helmet and a cart.

The welder looks like a pretty nice piece of equipment for the money and the controls feel very nice, but I haven’t plugged it in yet for obvious reasons. I don’t even have a basic welding helmet or a stick of drag rod.

I’ve been spending a lot of time in the garage working on the old car and things are coming along slowly. I figured out that one of the reasons the fiberglass body looks warped was that the rear subframe was totally mislocated.

Anyhow, I have now corrected that from pushing things out of shape & the car looks a lot better.

Because of the way the cameras distort things, a lot of the defects in this car or not obvious in the photographs. By re-drilling the front subframe mounting holes and reinforcing the floor, the most major one has disappeared.

Fire that sucker up! I’m ready…lolView attachment 25905

You would laugh if you saw the welding helmet that you get with his kit. It also comes with a combination wire brush and chipping hammer. Both are so pitiful I can’t imagine why they included them, as it just makes the whole thing seem cheaper and they’re both totally useless pieces of junk.

Lol, oh,I believe you. My machine came with a hand held welding shield that I immediately took to work so i could use to keep an eye on the arc welders that worked for me on some jobs. I’ve got 2 auto dark helmets, the main one with fully adjustable darkness, darkness duration and strike response time to dark. It’s also solar, so no batteries. The chip hammer/ wire brush had to have been like yours too. Used once and chucked..lol the machine looks like just the opposite of what I want in my old age.lol. Mine has 2 knobs, how hot and how fast, lol

Last edited:
I just love the fact that you don’t have to strike an arc with this thing.

You just get it close and step on the pedal and the arc happens. If you want to tack, you jab the pedal hard and it gives you a hot shot.

Then you back off on the pedal and weld without having to turn your amps down. If you come to a corner etc you can hit the pedal harder for more heat or less or let it up so the metal cools.

With high frequency pulse welding you can do some amazing stuff with thin metal. I got a car made out of thin metal. Well three of them actually… I think I’m really gonna like this.

I just love the fact that you don’t have to strike an arc with this thing.

You just get it close and step on the pedal and the arc happens. If you want to tack, you jab the pedal hard and it gives you a hot shot.

Then you back off on the pedal and weld without having to turn your amps down. If you come to a corner etc you can hit the pedal harder for more heat or less or let it up so the metal cools.

With high frequency pulse welding you can do some amazing stuff with thin metal. I got a car made out of thin metal. Well three of them actually… I think I’m really gonna like this.
I thought about getting a TIG, but as I’m sure I whined about before, without a nice big bench and a garage, I needed to be able to weld outside,quite a distance from a suitable power supply. I’ve welded brackets here and there around the house while standing on a ladder, which I just don’t see with a TIG rig. Being able to plunk the box down and build a trailer or something all the way around myself in the driveway is more important than a sweet bead around a pop can.lol I do have more splatter to clean because I don’t use any gas, but I’m not doing production welds on high tolerance parts, just burning stuff together. I’d still rather gas weld stuff for looks if perfect alignment and fit aren’t in the cards..I personally like the purple,gold and blue HAZ on metal. Like old motorcycle exhaust pipes..I built these headers for a neighbor kids Izusu off-road truck because he needed 18” primary tubes that would fit between the alternator and the steering shaft,and gas welding was the only way to get in there..C2E984CD-3FA5-431C-98A9-559EDF52F05C.png

Then you back off on the pedal and weld without having to turn your amps down.

Think of the amps setting as a governor, the pedal controls the arc within that range. I agree about the cheap shield, stinger and hammer--detracts away from the quality of the rest of the components. :(

Back