• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MAC Military Arms Channel says that shotguns suck for defense <vid>

Old indian proverb

Everyone has a butthole and opinion. And they both can stink.

Tim has some valid points though. Train with it. Be proficient with it. It'll serve you well.

For those that buy a shotgun and leave it in the corner and never is used, they're probably going to regret it if they ever have to use it.

This is why most everyone here advocates taking it out and learning it first and foremost. I know that the regulars here have said many of the same things he said in the video too.

Another good series for someone serious about using a shotgun for defense:

I can't criticize him too badly though. I have a suppressed 45acp carbine beside of my bed. I'm comfortable with that choice. I could have either a shotgun or rifle or pistol or carbine beside of my bed. And after weighing my options, it's the one that I chose to use. I'm not saying it's the right or wrong choice for everyone. But I'm very comfortable with my choice and was the right one for ME.

Guess my first comment is consider the source! Not familiar with MAC and Copper Custom? Do a little research.

Doesn't make any difference what type of gun you use or if you use a slingshot you need training and continued mental and physical practice for home defense or CQB situations. The other thing people don't typically understand when using a handgun is the distance the muzzle is projected away from their body when holding it in normal firing position. Try it and compare the distance to a shotgun or rifle muzzle.

Finally, would have been more enlightening if he had even touched on either "tactical" or "combat" loading a shotgun and how one is used in CQB!

Vice, "I don't like shotguns" and if you don't believe me let me tell you why.

Regards

Guess my first comment is consider the source! Not familiar with MAC and Copper Custom? Do a little research.

Doesn't make any difference what type of gun you use or if you use a slingshot you need training and continued mental and physical practice for home defense or CQB situations. The other thing people don't typically understand when using a handgun is the distance the muzzle is projected away from their body when holding it in normal firing position. Try it and compare the distance to a shotgun or rifle muzzle.

Yep

Amen! Clint demonstrates the point I was trying to make in words above.

CQB is likely the toughest shooting scenario an individual will ever need to master. Typically clearing a facility or your house is, at minimum, a two person coordinated effort. Can one person do it? Absolutely but only with both mental and physical training, practice and understanding. Mental is as important, if not more, than physical!

Decades ago I learned a valuable CQB lesson which still is relevant today. Unfortuantly, many will not understand these words.

Slow is Smooth
Smooth is Fast

Suspect Nitesite has some real world lessons learned he can share?

One final observation - You might be surprised by the comparison between a Shockwave and a handgun. Would have been a good fourth choice in Clint's video.

Regards

My vote for home use is for the shotgun hands down. You’re asleep and it’s dark and you’re probably not going to have time to turn on your red dot. It’s always a good idea to practice, but a newbie can generally hit a stationary target the first rattle out of the box with a shotgun. A pistol takes a butt-load of practice to become “good,” and a riffle as well but maybe not as much. The home defense scenario isn’t the same as a “sweeping a house scenario.” You’ll probably be asleep and they’ll be sweeping your house. You’re gonna be caught by surprise and it’ll be dark and you might not have time to get your sights turned or gun light on. What’s the saying “man can’t see, man can’t fight?” Ray Charles could hit something with a shotgun. Shotgun- lotta lead in a general vicinity in a relative hurry. Hard to beat it. You know, throwing a bunch of gravel vs throwing one rock. I’m bound to hit something with the gravel, but I’d better be on the money with my one stone.
If a mob was chasing me through the streets I’d opt for something with higher capacity. But even still, 6-8 rounds is a relatively large amount. Maybe not in a 3 gun competition, but in real life it is.
The 12 gauge wins the “one gun” scenario too. You can kill anything from a sparrow to a bear with a 12ga. You can’t say that about anything else really.

Last edited:
People put to much emphasis on what they use, calibers, etc.

Use what you are comfortable shooting and what you are most proficient with.

Knowing how to run what you have is of much greater importance that what you have.

Reality is not hollywood.

I have found that I like large firearms.

My shotguns have 20" barrels and full length magazines.

My M1A Rifle is a pretty huge and heavy beast.

My handguns are Gov't size 1911s, a CZ-75B and a CZ P-09, or a Smiff and Western Model 28 Highway Patrolman (grin) or a 686.

I have some small self-defense guns too, like a GLOCK26 and 27, and a Smiff 442, and a couple Ruger LC9s, but they never leave the safe. In fact, neither do my AR15s any more. I just hang on to them for when I can pass them down to my kids.

And I look forward to passing down the big guns as well.

My unused holsters number in the dozens...... <smile>

My go to is my AR9. It takes Glock mags and It has a Romeo 5 red dot that wakes up when you grab the gun. 2nd choice is my shockwave 12 gauge. Everyone’s got there preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can hardly listen to that dude . All the youtube personalities out there ......he don't bring much to the table and talks too much . He is like nutnfancy lite

Back