• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

@CaddmannQ I just now saw the videos of you driving the car.

That was awesome. I know you've put a lot of time and work into that car. It's great to finally be able to see it on the road.

@CaddmannQ I just now saw the videos of you driving the car.

That was awesome. I know you've put a lot of time and work into that car. It's great to finally be able to see it on the road.

Thanks John. It was the most fun I've had since I drove the Ford I built in my Dad's garage in highschool.

Good evening guys.

Well I did get the SS out today, but it didn't warm up outside. It was a cold run. 38F predicted tonight. I will have to keep an eye on my fishwater.

I was going to play with the car some more, but I ended up helping my neighbor with his bass boat. He has a 225 hp Gambler with lovely striping and power tilt. Knows where the fish are. Can't fix a boat . . .
You can see where this is going. ;)

Happy Sunday Mossberg Owners. It’s a new year And I feel a little happier for some reason but I don’t know why.

This guy is my favorite guitar picker on the planet earth but I haven’t seen this particular cut until today.

If you like this at all, go watch him play Whole Lotta love.

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

Well I spent some more time working on the SS100 yesterday, And I took it out for another short ride. This car does not have a thermostat assembly in it and it does not warm up quickly.

I found that the front shock absorbers were 20 years old, But they have no miles on them and look like brand new. They are sticky and as hard as rocks, until the second when they go limp and collapse a bit, then get hard again.

The car rides much smoother without the front shocks on it. I didn’t notice any undue bouncing but I never got it up to top speed either. The front of this car is really light.

I estimate that the whole thing only weighs 1200 pounds empty, And weight distribution is about 30/70. That means that front wheel weight should be about 180 pounds. I can verify this with my bathroom scale.

Without the shocks, I can grab the front bumper and bounce the whole car up and down until the wheels hop right off the ground.

If it had big tires and any real horsepower it could do a nice wheelie.

The heavy end:
FCA1DA8C-9747-4E00-8C77-06C6503BAB74.jpeg

Last edited:
I went until 2:30 am, when I finally closed the garage. The SS is ready to run today, and should not leak.

I tightened the new fuel filter, fuel hoses, and vacuum caps, all of which were seeping. Also I overhauled the carb.
A79ACA1A-EB9E-4D69-9AA8-66C7F7CE3796.jpeg
There was a lot of sediment. The float level was shockingly high. Every hole that pointed towards the sky was plugged with dirt.

It’s now clean, and I cleaned the air filter again and put it back together as carefully as possible. It still sucks. But then that’s its job. It sucks at sucking. I got the vapor hose tightened up to where it won’t be sucking air to the crankcase anymore.

This carburetor has less than 400 miles on it, but I could see that it’s sat around without running until the fuel had dried up in the bowl, on several occasions.

I made & installed the two tiny last bits of wire as I had not yet soldered up The electric choke wire and the idle cut off from scratch.

I took the distributor out in order to remove the carburetor and I cleaned it up and put it back and re-timed it & checked the dwell.
5562B9C4-8E1E-43DA-B11D-7702667F4FF5.jpeg
But I did it with a static continuity meter check instead of using the timing light. I couldn’t bring myself to start the car at two in the morning.

It looks beautiful and sunny today here in Central California and I am definitely going to get it out of the garage.

I hope the weather is nice where you live. Here it’s probably going to hit 65 today.

Car looks good cadd.

I have about 8 inches of snow this morning.

snow pine trees.JPG

Thank you John.

I saw reports of big storms projected So I cannot say I am surprised.

I watch a couple of 4 Wheeler channels & I am starting to think about global cooling as a need for more traction. Or maybe I just need some time in the deep desert.

The thought of working on my Scout is becoming very appealing after all these years. It doesn’t have that many miles on the running gear but the engine is frozen and it has been for 35 years.

We have just came out of a long drought, which was one in a series of droughts, interrupted by enough rain to keep our reservoirs full within reason.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the climate bounces in the opposite direction from what we have been pressured to believe.

Anyhow, now that the Volkswagen is actually running and nearly legal, I need to get out and drive it today if it’s not leaking.

Today is the last day of my temporary permit, and the CHP officer doesn’t show up for my inspection until Monday.

Whether I will be legal or not after then remains to be seen.

...Also I overhauled the carb...

...I took the distributor out in order to remove the carburetor and I cleaned it up and put it back and re-timed it & checked the dwell...

Not many "new-timers" could do what you did. Kinda sad it is becoming a lost skill. :(

Some people just can't grasp the principles of carburation. Or of a rotating mechanical-electrical switch (ie: points) or the "sponge" that soaks up the sudden halt of electrons when the switch is opened (ie: condensor).

I was a Ford tech back in the mid-late eighties. Still had plenty of carbs in use such as the Holley 4-bbl on the Mustang GT and the Variable Venturi on Crown Victoria Police Interceptors with 351W. Sadly, unenlightened techs would remove the VV because they didn't know how to work on it and put a good ol' 2100 2-bbl on it. :rolleyes: I went to school on all of them and was also there when they went to ported Fuel Injection. Would see the occasional points-type ignition but Ford quickly moved from Duraspark to EEC-IV ignitions systems.

The vac chamber on your dist should be hooked to ported vacuum if it isn't already.

holley4bbl.JPG

fordvvcarb.jpg

ford2100.jpg

It’s the same thing with constant velocity carburetors on a motorcycle.

People don’t understand the whole concept of a self-regulating system. Even my fake Solex carburetor has a vacuum operated economizer that balances the steady state mixture for you.

I’ve done quite a number of carburetors in my life. At least a dozen different styles from model airplanes to motorboats and lawnmowers to Cadillacs. The Holly visi-flow & mod 1920, Carter ball & ball, Motorcrafts, the mighty Quadrajet. Quad slide-needles, dual CVs, tiny Keihins, teeny Delortos, itty-bitty chainsaws. Even one propane carb on a 1950s forklift.

They are all little more than glorified gasoline operated toilets.

My goal for this car was to either replace the VW engine or figure out how to put crank triggered electronic ignition and throttle body fuel injection on it.

That’s the stuff I don’t quite understand yet.

If anybody notices the file in my photograph, I did flat-file the bottom of the carburetor to make sure it seals. People overtighten them, and this is true of the manifold as well. I spent hours flat filing the manifold and the carburetor to remove all the layers of old sealant and dirt.

I still need to check the manifold bolts to the heads.

But I got everything right and the car started right up today and it ran quite well. It needs some more tuning, but I’m really happy with the way it’s running right now—considering what I had just a couple days ago.

The gasoline leaks have been solved and the wiring is really solid. I am finally reasonably happy with the fuel system. For now.

It’s only temporary . . . Unless it works.

. . . The vac chamber on your dist should be hooked to ported vacuum if it isn't already. . . .

I’m still running my Brazilian made fake Bosch 009 style centrifugal advance distributor. I will definitely install the vacuum advance distributor tomorrow and see how it works.

This car is supposed to have a distributor with a vacuum advance and vacuum retard on it and they run from two different ports along with a port for the exhaust gas recirculation. There are also (sealed) manifold ports for the fuel vapor recovery purge. But all of that stuff is gone. EGR, carbon canister, heat stove, and thermostatic snorkel air cleaner. Even the thermostat. Vanished!

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

It’s not it’s sunny and bright today which is a shame because I was gonna go drive the little car over to the Volkswagen shop.
instead I think I’m going to putter around and clean up the garage.

After I get my car approved on Monday I have to take the paperwork to the DMV and apply for my plates.

The work on this car has really just started, and I have two other cars waiting in the wings to be restored. I may end up selling one in order to finance the other. Or maybe I will just have to be patient.

You all have a nice day and remember the virtue of patience.

It’s the same thing with constant velocity carburetors on a motorcycle.

They are all little more than glorified gasoline operated toilets.

I was versed in CV carbs with motorcycles before I learned the VV so it was fairly easy to get the concept. They were still complicated pieces of shit. I dreaded doing a "tune-up" on cars so-equipped. If the car was at the dealer for a tuneup, it probably meant a regular shop was not able to figure it out... :rolleyes:

I've used the toilet analogy before... :)

For viewers not familiar with how ignition timing works, the spark should occur before the piston reaches the top of its stroke, or Top Dead Center (TDC), measured in degrees out of 360. This allows the fuel time to burn most efficiently and make maximum power before the piston reaches TDC. A common base setting would be 10^ BTDC (Before TDC) at idle. As the engine speed increases, the spark must be "advanced" somehow to give the fuel/air mixture time to burn completely. With older vehicles like Cadd's, this is done through a combination of vacuum and/or centrifugal advance mechanisms. With modern-day computer-controlled engines all this is done by computer sending a driver signal to a coil module at the precise time. Diesels are similar only instead of a spark it is a squirt of fuel.

I have the plates!
:lol:
The CHP inspector came and inspected my car for about 30 seconds.

Then we talked about cars for 30 mins.

He signed me off, I hit the DMV, and I am finally legal. I am finally legal and no last second surprises.

Oh pinch me I’m dreaming!
It only took me 21 mos LOL.

Back