• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Looks great Cad!

Thanks buddy. I wish it was great. It still needs a lot of work.

But the good news is I own it, it’s legal, it runs, and if I have to sell it I can.

Before I can drive too much I need to reinforce the tail light brackets because they’re utterly flimsy. Totally for looks and they’re not that pretty.

Before I can drive it in traffic it needs to have better air circulation to the engine. It’s fine as long as you’re going down the road but if you have to drive in stop and go traffic it wants to overheat.

In the Volkswagen there is a certain path of air circulation that keeps the cooling air away from the air that’s already hot because it’s passed through the cooling system and over the mufflers.

My car ignores this completely. There is nothing to prevent hot air from rising in the engine compartment and being sucked into the carburetor and the cooling air intake.

Thanks buddy. I wish it was great. It still needs a lot of work.

But the good news is I own it, it’s legal, it runs, and if I have to sell it I can.

Before I can drive too much I need to reinforce the tail light brackets because they’re utterly flimsy. Totally for looks and they’re not that pretty.

Before I can drive it in traffic it needs to have better air circulation to the engine. It’s fine as long as you’re going down the road but if you have to drive in stop and go traffic it wants to overheat.

In the Volkswagen there is a certain path of air circulation that keeps the cooling air away from the air that’s already hot because it’s passed through the cooling system and over the mufflers.

My car ignores this completely. There is nothing to prevent hot air from rising in the engine compartment and being sucked into the carburetor and the cooling air intake.
With that big fiberglass “ boot”, there’s gotta be room for some louvre’s and maybe a couple electric fans ( import car radiator size) mounted in the wall behind the seats and covered with grille cloth..

I was just gonna say the same thing as Rodburner, except in a far less knowledgable way! LOL Tons of real estate for some extra cooling...

I need a chrome exhaust duct on top of the boot. (Or the bonnet. Depending on how you look at it.)
anyhow it needs to be directly above the engine so it can vent engine heat when I park the hot car.

In theory, what I should do is run a 2.25” cold air intake duct for the carburetor and another 10” dia one for the engine fan.

I thought about building ductwork into the tub with fiberglass cloth,(which reinforces things) rather than just hang some flex stuff under there that I would have to support.

But the flexible ductwork is the easy way to go.

Unfortunately there’s not enough clearance to put all blind fasteners from the back.

I’m thinking about a bumperette Just below the license plate. That might smooth things out a little bit.

They used to sell a big chrome SS 100 placard that covered that area but they are not available anymore. They were kind of big and gunky anyway.

I started working on a dress up panel for the steering shaft penetration on the left fender.

I am also working on an aluminum foot rest for Judy that will accommodate her short stature.

I bolted on a chrome grab under the dash but I don’t like the way it lines up. I’m gonna find something else I like better or build it.

. . . the bumper carriage bolts are messing with it... :D

D’oh . . . I looked at the car today and realized I didn’t put on the chrome bumper bolts yet.

Then I went to get them. I had already put them on the back bumper, and I didn’t have any more that size.

I did have some bolts that I had buffed and clearcoated, and I put those in place of the crusty looking zinc plate bolts that were on my bumper.

Also the bumper bolt holes are not well aligned. I can probably loosen the bumper and ream it a bit but it also needs to go to the right side. (Left, in the photograph.)

I started the car up today with a different voltage regulator on it and it still didn’t charge. But then I started messing with my ammeter later and realized it was sticky.

I really do want a voltmeter in this car. Only the oil pressure gauge and the speedometer are working correctly right now. I don’t have any oil temperature showing, the ammeter is suspect & the fuel gauge is not working at all.

I started working on a dress up panel for the steering shaft penetration on the left fender.

I am also working on an aluminum foot rest for Judy that will accommodate her short stature.

I bolted on a chrome grab under the dash but I don’t like the way it lines up. I’m gonna find something else I like better or build it.

D’oh . . . I looked at the car today and realized I didn’t put on the chrome bumper bolts yet.

Then I went to get them. I had already put them on the back bumper, and I didn’t have any more that size.

I did have some bolts that I had buffed and clearcoated, and I put those in place of the crusty looking zinc plate bolts that were on my bumper.

Also the bumper bolt holes are not well aligned. I can probably loosen the bumper and ream it a bit but it also needs to go to the right side. (Left, in the photograph.)

I started the car up today with a different voltage regulator on it and it still didn’t charge. But then I started messing with my ammeter later and realized it was sticky.

I really do want a voltmeter in this car. Only the oil pressure gauge and the speedometer are working correctly right now. I don’t have any oil temperature showing, the ammeter is suspect & the fuel gauge is not working at all.
My biggest question is...are you having fun with it? If you are, then the rest is just gravy. I think for some of us there's the challenge of tackling a big project that really interests you versus finishing said project the way you want and enjoying the fruit of your labor. All the while, there's that part of you that never wants the project to end. And, the other part that can't wait to be finished. Lol!

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

My biggest question is...are you having fun with it? . . .
There are always points when things become a chore because they don’t go well or don’t go as you expected.

There are always disappointments and challenges.

But, yes, it is big time fun.

And, I never have to worry about getting done. I have 2 more old cars and some old guns and a motorcycle to work on. I have computers and stereos that need work too. Aquarium projects, home woodworking. There’s a hunting buggy project I’ve never mentioned.

So I enjoy all the stuff and it looks like I’m not gonna run out before I die. What’s not to like?

Hey guys, I didn’t get a damn thing done today. I loafed around the house and barbecued a tri-tip.

But this is what I did yesterday:

Here I made a pattern for a cover plate to hide the ragged hole where my steering shaft penetrates the fender.
40A08091-C569-419A-87B0-172B6F5A5C0B.jpeg

Here I’m hogging out my cover plate from a piece of aluminum scrounged from an industrial window frame.
2418759C-0D3D-47BE-AB8A-FEA921C22FB2.jpeg

Here it is all polished up, with a custom rubber gasket, and sitting on the fender for the first time.

20FA7C22-4503-4D36-9BE3-7D41E5D9AD04.jpeg
So my steering column was a mess of splices, and I am going to try and lighten and simplify it before I put it back together.

I remember watching an old movie while I was drinking beer from a bottle.

Anyhow in the movie were these guys in Africa and they were opening steel cans of beer with an old fashioned punch or church key.

Warm beer. Sent all the way to Africa by boat. In metal. Yuck.

All I could think of was how bad the beer must have tasted out of those steel cans, but they enjoyed it.

By the time I was old enough to drink, beer came in glass or aluminum cans.

But no twist off tops. You needed a tool for bottle caps. A buck knife in my case. Opened both beer and oil. Oil was still in steel cans.

I remember watching an old movie while I was drinking beer from a bottle.

Anyhow in the movie were these guys in Africa and they were opening steel cans of beer with an old fashioned punch or church key.

Warm beer. Sent all the way to Africa by boat. In metal. Yuck.

All I could think of was how bad the beer must have tasted out of those steel cans, but they enjoyed it.

By the time I was old enough to drink, beer came in glass or aluminum cans.

But no twist off tops. You needed a tool for bottle caps. A buck knife in my case. Opened both beer and oil. Oil was still in steel cans.
The aluminum can is an interesting invention. There isn't really too much of a convincing reason to make a can out of aluminum, and aluminum is by volume much more difficult to refine than steel. But during WWII American aluminum processing took off to feed the rapid growth of military aviation. Once the war died down the new aluminum plants needed something to do or else shut down, and canning was one of the things they came up with. It wasn't the only thing they did- the decrease in military aviation and the accompanying hordes of former military pilots coming home led to a postwar boom in civilian aviation as well that kept aluminum in demand.

Back