• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How does your shotgun ammo inventory look right now?

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
I'm probably a bit under where I would like to be, but I admit I am not shooting 12-ga as much as I used to.

I have Brenneke slugs and Federal Tru-Ball slugs, 00-buck, #1 buck, #4 heavy, #5, #6, #7.5 and #8.

Oughta get me thru the next few wars or hunting seasons, with an occasional farm predator I also have to deal with.

I’ve been picking up #4 steel shot anytime I have to go the Wally market. I have a couple hundred rounds at this point, any kind of buckshot is scarce around my neck of the woods.

I have a wide variety of weird 12 and 16 gauge buck & ball loads I made up, plus a lot of traditional bird, bunny, buck and slug loads.

I accidentally bought a few boxes Of 12 gauge steel shot. I guess I’ll need that if I ever take up hunting in California.

I’ve got at least 100 used hulls laying around that I haven’t washed and reloaded yet, and I’m sure I have primers to do at least half of them.

So if I get bored with working on my car I’ll have something to do.

I think I have a few boxes of slugs somewhere and maybe a box or two of birdshot, the only thing I know for certain is the 50 rds 00 buck and 5 slugs on my chest rig. I'll be restocking soon and building a new rig that holds more ammo, at least 100 rds.

Many folks buy their ammo online and one of the big sellers is a family owned business in Oklahoma.

Here's a link to their inventory of 12 ga shotshell ammo. You can check out other ammo types by backclicking.

Appears they have a good stock level and their website shows realtime availability vice some of these other places where you go to checkout before they tell you it's backordered.

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/shotgun-ammunition/12-gauge-ammo

Disclaimer - Have not links to this company other than being a customer for years.

Regards

I have bought from them once online, and a couple of times at the Wannemacher gun show in town. They are a good bunch.

I've got a decent amount of 12ga but NEVER more than I think I need! LOL!

It's funny how often when I'm looking for a particular type or caliber of ammo, I'll find deals for ammo I wasn't looking for and have on numerous occasions missed out on a good sale...cuz I'm just so laser focused on my perceived need at that time. Which is ridiculous. But when you consider the cost overall...all ammo is increasing in price regularly anyway. Anyhow, this brought to mind that I passed up a 100rd bucket of 00 buck awhile back and of course the next time I went in...none to be found. Figures.

Big Green made it back to Canadian shelves a few months ago but at a substantial price increase. Easily 10 bucks more per box of 20 Core-Lokt rifle rounds...ouch.

As far as hunting goes I'll never have to buy ammo again.

If i go back to shooting clays or hunting waterfowl again thats a different story.

Many folks buy their ammo online and one of the big sellers is a family owned business in Oklahoma.

Here's a link to their inventory of 12 ga shotshell ammo. You can check out other ammo types by backclicking.

Appears they have a good stock level and their website shows realtime availability vice some of these other places where you go to checkout before they tell you it's backordered.

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/shotgun-ammunition/12-gauge-ammo

Disclaimer - Have not links to this company other than being a customer for years.

Regards

another +1 for sgammo, have bought from them several times

I've been seeing 12ga target loads coming back into stock more frequently and was finally was able to get a couple cases of #7.5 WinAA for not completely insane pricing - I prefer it for 3gun in my 930JM plus I trade the hulls to a friend for 9mm brass

There's another big thread about ammo availability too

I bought a bunch of cheap bulk boxes back about a dozen years ago that I still haven't shot up. I was paying $18-20 a pack of 100 at the time and I was buying a couple a month for several months straight when no one else was touching them.

I have the means to load those into any kind of shell that I'm wanting/needing. I admit that I haven't bought a single box of shells in many years.

I bought a bunch of cheap bulk boxes back about a dozen years ago that I still haven't shot up. I was paying $18-20 a pack of 100 at the time and I was buying a couple a month for several months straight when no one else was touching them.

I have the means to load those into any kind of shell that I'm wanting/needing. I admit that I haven't bought a single box of shells in many years.

I think I might hate you now. I really, really, really wish I had bought a whole bunch of those $20 per hundred boxes. :doh: I never even gave those a thought for packing them in. I have plenty of the premium stuff, though. Even a huge pile of LE132-1B Federal. And that stuff was rare even before "the troubles". Take care. Tom Worthington

Well, in fairness, no one else was thinking about it at the time neither.

A friend of mine was questioning my sanity when I told him I had bought several of those.

He asked me why on earth I would do that for and why I wasn't buying "good ammo".

It was like he was wanting to revoke my man card or something.

So, I told him I'd rather have low brass, than NO brass.

He still was looking at me kind of puzzled and didn't understand what I was talking about until I showed him how simple it was to dump the little birdshot pellets out and then put slugs and buckshot pellets in them and close them back up.

And when I did, it was like he had just witnessed a miracle.

I can thank my Grandpa who lived through the depression for letting me in on that when I saw him putting a bunch of those round creek rocks in a shell to get rid of that fox or coon or whatever it was that kept getting into the chicken coops.

I never saw Pappaw kill it, but after a while, no one was complaining about whatever it was getting to the eggs and chickens anymore.

As far as hunting goes I'll never have to buy ammo again.

If i go back to shooting clays or hunting waterfowl again thats a different story.
I'm at that level of rifle hunting ammo too. However, I see my Winchester 30-30 lever as a possibility for shtf or bug out...so have not stopped buying for that one.

I could use a few more boxes of 12ga heavy field loads. I have no steel shot what-so-ever but I've never been a waterfowl guy. Not that I wouldn't if a convenient opportunity arose.

John, guess I'm a member of your buying club. With one exception - recent purchase of a few Peters Paper retro shells, I have not needed to purchase any shotgun ammo in years. Guess it pays to buy when others question our sanity!

Regards

That's OK Ernst. I haven't lost any sleep over what I have bought. Only what I haven't ;)

Cmcdonald this is cheaper than buying steel shot at the gun store.

000 buck
https://www.amazon.com/1500pcs-Slingshot-7-938mm-Precision-Bearing/dp/B07YPXXXGH/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2O6G6ACEEZ76V&keywords=.33 steel ball bearings 1000&qid=1644357146&sprefix=33 steel ball bearings 1000,aps,86&sr=8-9

Here's some that would fall between #4 and #5 shot if you're hunting big birds like duck or geese.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=1/8 steel ball bearings 1000&crid=1YCZL6AMQK6MK&sprefix=1/8 steel ball bearings 1000,aps,161&ref=nb_sb_noss

I'd guess about 1000rds of 12ga/20ga split 65%/35% including 12ga mini-shells. About 50 .410 various flavors.

Back