• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How Do You Store Your SG At Night?

catnphx

.270 WIN
I've got two kids and a large German Shepherd dog (he can mess with the gun too) that I have to consider. I want my SG close so how do (or would you with kids) keep your SG prepared for quick action at night?

My requirements: I want my gun fully loaded with one in the chamber and the safety on at night but locked up during the day. Here are some options (all for $40) I found on the internet. Other than the Mossberg Loc-Box, I'd need to also buy a locking mechanism for the other three options for day-time safety.

What do you think of some of these options OR what do you do differently OR what would you do with kids in the house?

The Mossberg Loc-Box
95092.gif

The Back-Up
3.jpg

Concealed Bed Gun Holder
M3%20035.jpg

Shotgun Mattress Bedside Holder
TWS-Bed_SGa_200.jpg

I dont keep shells in it. But I dont keep it locked either. I have kids and dogs too. I keep shells close, usaually in a shell cuff on the gun. Never locked.

I like the bed hook stuff! That would work well for me, other wise the guns are leaning against the bed or laying under it.

Yeah, I have read stories of hunters being shot by the dog that manages to fire the weapon - pretty amazing but believable, and certainly a shepard or other large dog would be able enough to do it.
I live alone so my Persuader sleeps in bed with me, muzzle toward the foot, but for your situation ... Now this is purely opinion here so take this for what it's worth :D
Loc-box - no, I always consider an intrusion (or encounter on the street) to be unexpected, surprising, rapid, and violent, and I don't want to fumble around with some mechanism in the middle of the night. One of the reasons I carry a Glock: no manual safety to fool with - point and shoot.
Back-up - within reach and facing the right direction, and looks like it would be in pretty good position. Of course one would have to grab it before swinging out of bed since we don't want the gun behind our legs. And that goes for the rest of these. I can't see exactly how it attaches [see comment on Bedside holder]
Concealed bed holder - too far away (too low): I have a pistol GunVault that holds a G21 and it sits on the floor snug against the waterbed. Only way to get it is to roll over and stretch (I use it for backup only).
Bedside holder - seen similar for pistols, first thought is: it's just a metal slat between the mattress and springs, so it may move around a bit when someone rolls over or whatever and could cause the gun to fall out? Don't know.
Actually, I have considered 2 screw hooks like are used in the garage to hang a bicycle on the wall, and setting up some kind of rack on the front or back of the headboard, but I run into the problem of how to grab it so it's ready to go (I don't want to be twirling it around like some kind of cheerleader's baton). :D So guess we get to sleep together until I figure something else - sweet dreams :lol:

Loaded and ready to go in a small gunsafe in the bedroom. At night I stick my key in the lock and unlock it. Next day i can`t go too far without locking it because my car keys are on the same ring.

Not instant access, but good enough for routine use. If there was some sort of excitement in the area, I would have it loaded and on safe propped up by my bed in a manner where it would not get knocked over by accident because long gun safeties tend to be more sensitive to shock than the more modern handgun safeties.

I was told to keep my weapons and ammo locked up and seperate when not home (and they are not with me) by a LEO when he came to interview us for our CCL. When I get home, I break them out and put them together for close storage when home.

I would rather not have to fumble with anything extra when I already have a situation that requires me to need it. There will be enought to deal with already.

I will need to find something for storage of the SG when not home so I will keep an eye on this one to see what comes out of it.

Ripsnortr said:
I was told to keep my weapons and ammo locked up and seperate when not home (and they are not with me) by a LEO when he came to interview us for our CCL. When I get home, I break them out and put them together for close storage when home..
If they are locked up why would you separate them

Ripsnortr said:
I will need to find something for storage of the SG when not home so I will keep an eye on this one to see what comes out of it.
Thats easy dont leave home without it ;)

They want them stored separate so it it twice the trouble for them to get a weapon and ammo. Quite frankly, if I am not going to be using it, it isnt that big of a deal to take the extra step to cover my butt from a legal standpoint. Drop the mag and lock them up seperate of each other.

I understand the concept and can see hiding them in different spots but locking them up in separate spots….not so much

oli700 said:
I understand the concept and can see hiding them in different spots but locking them up in separate spots….not so much

As a balance to the rest of the less than difficult gun laws I have in NH compared to what I have read online with others , I'm happy to lock them up when I leave them behind in the house.

Not trying to revive dead threads, just thought I'd throw my .02 in. Bed sits between closet and bathroom doors at the headboard end. Closet door is closed, but the safe inside is open housing my AR-15 that is ready to go with the flip of the safety. On the closet side is this with my PG Mossberg 500 loaded with 6 rounds of 12ga Winchester PDX1, again, ready at the flip of the safety. This guy's stuff is good quality, and I'm in no way affiliated with this seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bedside-Shotgun...UA%2BLM&otn=10&ps=63&clkid=608725937952128751

One roommate at the opposite end of the house, no kids or dogs, and the cats sleep outside so they can't mess with the guns either. In the morning, shotgun goes in the safe and it is locked again.

^ No such thing as a dead thread around here, especially if you've got something to add. It's always good to see how others store and prepare their gear...

I just like that they clamp on and are adjustable for length. The "back up" is fixed in length. I can fit anything from my PG 500, my O/U, my AR-15, or a little Savage .22 for those pesky squirrels outside the bedroom window. It's just very flexible.

au01st said:
Not trying to revive dead threads, just thought I'd throw my .02 in. Bed sits between closet and bathroom doors at the headboard end. Closet door is closed, but the safe inside is open housing my AR-15 that is ready to go with the flip of the safety. On the closet side is this with my PG Mossberg 500 loaded with 6 rounds of 12ga Winchester PDX1, again, ready at the flip of the safety. This guy's stuff is good quality, and I'm in no way affiliated with this seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bedside-Shotgun...UA%2BLM&otn=10&ps=63&clkid=608725937952128751

One roommate at the opposite end of the house, no kids or dogs, and the cats sleep outside so they can't mess with the guns either. In the morning, shotgun goes in the safe and it is locked again.

That set-up looks pretty good ... I actually like those hooks. My problem with that set-up is a large German Shepherd that throws his paws around like Mike Tyson and I swear he'd figure out a way to pull the trigger. :lol:

Thanks for sharing. Always good to see how people have their SG ready to roll.

$(KGrHqMOKooE0fj-3E(GBNbP-MBTOw~~_12.JPG

$(KGrHqYOKosE0fjFftocBNbP-frgbQ~~_12.JPG

Back