• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick Rifle Reviews...

I just purchased one of these Maverick 30-06 from Academy. After performing a thorough check of the rifle (at home), I found a defect on the bolt release lever. I could not take the bolt out. The rifle seems sturdy and well made for the money I spent ($179). I sent it back to Eagle Pass, TX for warranty repairs. Thus, I have not put it through its paces. If the rifle turns out to be a bad purchase: 1. I did not loose to much of the green stuff on it. 2. I don't have to rely on anyone else opinion (someone who has never shot one or owned one) about the rifles performance and quality. I will have first hand experience to pass on. :)

I received the rifle back from Mossberg on Tuesday and took it out for a test on Thursday. I am surprised at the accuracy of the rifle. I was able to place 4 out of 5 shots within 2 inches at 100 yards. I was using winchester 30-06 sprg 150 gr. power-point. This may not be a great accomplishment (to some), but remember, I only paid $179.00 for this rifle. (purchased new from Academy.). The scope used was a Aim 3-9X40.
The trigger is stiff, but manageable.

While it is missing many of the bells and whistles found in other rifles, for the price, it has good enough accuracy. It may even prove to be sub-moa with handloads or better ammunition.

I hope this helps someone out there. There are not many reviews on these inexpensive Maverick rifles at this time.

Today is Sunday Sept. 18, 2011.
I just saw in the Academy weekly ad, that these rifles are on sale again reg. $249.99 down to sale $179.99. I will be going by to purchase 3 more of these in 30-06. They will make great x-mas gifts. I have about 100 rounds through mine (range time). The only problem I have had was the bolt release, which was repaired by Mossberg. The accuracy does improve with better ammo. :)

I just PM'd my address to you...Christmas is just around the corner !! ;) :lol:

I missed your pm by five minutes. I gave the rifles as presents five minutes before reading your pm. :D Sorry! I'll try to remember for next year. Actually, I was only able to get a .270. and another 30-06 They ran out of .243 . Must have not gotten too many to begin with or they are just that popular. They are good rifles and inexpensive.

My inexperienced friend bought a Maverick 30-06 and a Bushnell scope. About $275 out the door. I told him I would help set it up. First, the bore sight was off. And the scope's eye relief was not set properly. However, because of the external scope dimensions, in conjunction with the aluminum bases and rings, we could not adjust the position of the scope rearward to get the best relief. He will have to live with it. I took the gun apart, lubed it. I torqued the action bolts to 35 inch pound. Confirmed barrel to stock clearance. It was good. I had to lightly sand the magazine follower edges. The problem with the bolt release (as reported here) is actually a non-problem once you understand the geometry. Simply pushing down will not be effective. You must push down, then forward. Try it. It works. I broke the barrel in. One shot, clean. Did that ten times with a reduced load of IMR 4350 and 147 Win FMJ. (No opinions on that process please. It is a dead horse.) I measured the chamber OAL and compared to the magazine length. We will be magazine limited with 150 gr Seirra Spitzers. Which is what my buddy is going to shoot. Why that bullet? Because they are a good bullet for deer and I have some extra boxes. After getting the gun zeroed during break-in, I loaded up some 57 Grain H4350 Fed Match primer WW cases. We were able to shoot 1.75 moa, 5 shot groups, at 166 yards. I loaded some 51 Grain Varget, 150 gr SBTHPM as a benchmark. I got about 1.65 MOA out of them too. We cleaned and lubed the gun. Put it up. The Maverick is what it is. Some extended scope rings would make a big difference. I sent my buddy home with 50 rounds of loaded ammo, and the targets that he shot off a bench so he has the confidence that his gun will hit where he aims it. If we had some more time and money, I could probably find him an even more accurate load. Probably go down to the 130 grain range with some Varget or 4064. I just did not think that with that rifle, and that owner, it was the best use of everyone's time and money. A long time ago, you could buy a used 788 Remington for $250 and a used burris scope for about $75. That setup would be a hell of a lot better than this Maverick. However, that was then, this is now. I am note sure how you can beat his deal. For the money, my buddy got a new gun under warranty that he can be proud of, and unless he gets really serious, it will shoot better than he can shoot. We will kill a deer with it and be a hero at home.

The smell of hunting season is in the air. So, I went to my local range to sight in one of the Maverick rifles in 30-06. I got the rifle on paper at 50 yds and finished sighting in at 100 yds. The day at the range Humidity 60%, Wind out of the South at 10 mph, Temperature 90 degrees. I was shooting surplus ammo purchased from Sportsmansquide.com 270 rounds for approx. $143.00. The scope used is a Aim 3-9X40 purchased at SMG for around $20.00. :) It is a no frills rifle that can do the job. I challenged a fellow shooter. He was shooting a Remington 700 in .308 . (1 group of three shots) We both agreed that I won. It was the three shot grouping above the red bullseye at 100yds. He was using a rifle shooting base. I was using the range's sand bags on the table. The two shots on the sides, I shot to clear the rifle. I had a good time. It is not bad for a $179.00 rifle :) I hope the picture comes up with this post.

Sorry guys, I have been trying to attach a pic of the targets. I keep on getting the message "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached". Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. :(

I own both a 243 Maverick rifle and a Mossberg ATR 270, but for all the world it appears that Mossberg acts like they never existed. What gives with them?

Welcome to the forum from NY.

Not sure what you mean about them not knowing they exist???

Back