• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Firearms Storage

DoubleTap

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was wondering how everyone stored there firearms? Do you guys have them in a chest of some sort; and is a gun safe a good thing to invest in?

I keep my shotgun under the bed and my handguns in a safe that allows me to quickly open it in case of an emergency. A lot of really nice options can be found at http://www.gunvault.com/.

1/2 steel plates and concrete in the ground :mrgreen: and I keep my Mossberg pump, Glock 27 and the Thunder 380 out for protection.

I know I need a gun safe, but mine are in wooden display type cabinets right now. My Glock and Ruger Mk. II are also in unsecured locations. We have nearly no crime here, and I have nosey neighbors, but I do need a safe!

I have one under the bed in a scabard, and the others are in an abs plastic case like the Pelican cases, but not as nice as Pelican.

Safely storing your firearms depends a lot on your experience with firearms as well as the other members of your household. I grew up in a house with several rifles and shotguns on an open gun rack near the back door. You never knew when you might need to grab one and shoot a coyote or stray dog that was attacking the chickens or a newborn calf. The guns were not loaded but the ammunition was all stored close by.

I guess you could say I'm a little more safety conscious now that I have my own family. It's just me, my wife and my son, but most of the guns are locked up in a safe in a storm shelter room in my basement. I keep a pistol by my bed in a GunVault safe (the kind that you can open by punching in a code in finger-shaped slots on the top of the safe). We also have a coach gun secured in our bedroom. My wife has been trained on both weapons but is not comfortable that she could shoot someone so I haven't pushed her in that direction other than taking her shooting to practice periodically.

I've considered putting a steel door with a digital lock on the storm shelter room that I've mentioned and putting my rifles and shotguns in racks on the wall. I like the idea of having sort of a panic room (all four walls of the room are poured concrete).

Humidity is another concern. Keeping your guns in top condition means keeping them rust-free. That's difficult to do if they're in a humid environment. I have a safe dehumidifier in my gun safe and desiccant packets in my ammo boxes and pistol safe. If I put my guns in racks in my basement I'll need a better means of dehumidifying the environment.

Rossignol said:
I have one under the bed in a scabard, and the others are in an abs plastic case like the Pelican cases, but not as nice as Pelican.

If those cases have foam inside of them, be careful! Foam holds moisture and that will cause your guns to rust much more quickly than storing them out in the open.

Oh! Good point! Well, they arent left in there for very long, they come out at least once a week. Even so, I'll def keep an eye on it as the weather is changing and the guns are going from indoors to out and back in again, thanks!

Back