• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

ATI Top Folding Stock Review: Mossberg 500

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
p28075301-3.jpg

p506721009-3.jpg

p745084417-3.jpg

p556067055-3.jpg

p654777918-3.jpg

When looking for a shotgun stock there are many factors to consider. Personally, I was looking for a stock for my Mossberg 500 (home defense and/or tactical purposes). My ideal stock would be one that allowed for the Mossberg to be short enough to be easily maneuvered in an urban setting while having still having a a stock that is functional when needed. I had previously owned ATI products before so I decided to try out their two options that fit my needs; ATI top folding stock and ATI 6 position collapsable stock. I want to mention that there are several other companies that I could have gone with such as Blackhawk, Mesa Tactical, Phoenix Technology, etc.

The ATI units are packaged in a clear bag which helps shoppers get a better idea of what they are buying while at the store. This did not matter to me much since I bought the ATI stock online. Once I opened the bag there was another bag that contained the smaller hardware as well as guide for the product.

The installation was a breeze and was completed in only a few minutes. The instructions were thorough enough to clearly explain how to install the product but not complicated enough where they are hard to follow. The only tools needed are a philips head screwdriver and an allen key. One nice addition to this kit is that it comes with two extra base plates to allow you to install this item on a Remington or Winchester shotgun.

When it comes to using the stock I do not have a single complaint about the item. It easily folds up onto the shotgun and with a push of a button folds down to become a fully functional stock. It may not be the most comfortable stock in the world but for its purpose as a home defense and/or tactical stock it is great. One thing I should note is that if you are looking for the most reliable stock this may not be the one for you as I would not be confident that this stock would hold up when doing a mortar drill with it. The hardware that ATI provides could use some improvements as they are simply wood screws and are not the most durable option available to secure the stock to your Mossberg.

I built a HD gun with this stock, and also their synthetic forearm. I had no problem with the quality of these parts, and they have a great warranty. However, I found the stock uncomfortable to shoot. I think it would be a great choice if used for home defense only. It is a much more usable choice than a pistol grip only stock. I now use a factory wood stock and a shortened vent rib barrel for my home defense gun and like it much more, and shoot it a lot more because of the comfort factor. My barrel is approx. 19", as I cut it at the end of the shortest rib attatchment I could and still keep it legal. This gun is with me a lot more often now than it used to be.

Yea it certainly isn't as comfortable as the ATI 6 position collapsable stock but this shotgun is strictly a HD gun and occasional to shoot some trap.

I use this stock on my Maverick 88 and as the reviewer said, it has given me no trouble for it's intended purpose and it's functionality is perfect..

Ultimate CC said:
Yea it certainly isn't as comfortable as the ATI 6 position collapsable stock but this shotgun is strictly a HD gun and occasional to shoot some trap.
I've always believed that it is important to extensively shoot the firearm you will use if you have to defend yourself. Having a stock that is uncomfortable doesn't lend itself to shooting enough to gain and maintain the familiarity and proficiency that one should have with the gun he may need to use to defend his life or the lives of his family.

I installed this folding stock on my Mossberg 500 but I notice the action button behind the trigger is hard to get to now with this stock. Any input?

I have this stock on my 500. I love it, great for HD, Urban, Bedside & the range. Easy install, comfortable & easy to fold up or un fold. I'm assuming you can install a butt pad on the end, its a pretty rigid stock so you really feel the re-coil with sluggers or 00.

Has anyone had much experience with butt pads?

:evil:

Glad to see you like it Chad,

I would give ATI a call and ask if their Scorpion Recoil Pad will fit...

Scorpion Razorback Recoil Pad - (800)925-2522, 8am-4pm Monday through Friday

If not, you could try this Limbsaver...

AR-15/M4 'Snap-On' Recoil Pad

There are templates on the Limbsaver site that you can print and match up with your stock to see it it'll fit. The AR-15/M4 Snap-On recoil pad, #10019, is the seventh template from the top...

Limbsaver Recoil Pad Templates

There are several other templates for their other models, so chances are you'll be able to find one to fit...

p28075301-3.jpg

p506721009-3.jpg

p745084417-3.jpg

p556067055-3.jpg

p654777918-3.jpg

When looking for a shotgun stock there are many factors to consider. Personally, I was looking for a stock for my Mossberg 500 (home defense and/or tactical purposes). My ideal stock would be one that allowed for the Mossberg to be short enough to be easily maneuvered in an urban setting while having still having a a stock that is functional when needed. I had previously owned ATI products before so I decided to try out their two options that fit my needs; ATI top folding stock and ATI 6 position collapsable stock. I want to mention that there are several other companies that I could have gone with such as Blackhawk, Mesa Tactical, Phoenix Technology, etc.

The ATI units are packaged in a clear bag which helps shoppers get a better idea of what they are buying while at the store. This did not matter to me much since I bought the ATI stock online. Once I opened the bag there was another bag that contained the smaller hardware as well as guide for the product.

The installation was a breeze and was completed in only a few minutes. The instructions were thorough enough to clearly explain how to install the product but not complicated enough where they are hard to follow. The only tools needed are a philips head screwdriver and an allen key. One nice addition to this kit is that it comes with two extra base plates to allow you to install this item on a Remington or Winchester shotgun.

When it comes to using the stock I do not have a single complaint about the item. It easily folds up onto the shotgun and with a push of a button folds down to become a fully functional stock. It may not be the most comfortable stock in the world but for its purpose as a home defense and/or tactical stock it is great. One thing I should note is that if you are looking for the most reliable stock this may not be the one for you as I would not be confident that this stock would hold up when doing a mortar drill with it. The hardware that ATI provides could use some improvements as they are simply wood screws and are not the most durable option available to secure the stock to your Mossberg.

What is the length of pull for this stock? thanks

So I am using the top folding stock on my prospecting shotgun (a 500 marine barrel). I have no problem with recoil if surprised by a grizz or 2 while out prospecting BUT trap shooting at my kid's place is hard on the shoulder. I checked with the ATI rep. He checked and got back to me that they had no recoil pads for this stock. I am hoping somebody on here has a solution. - headhunter2

I love this stock. It serves the purpose of allowing you to go from PGO to a full length stock witha push of a button. While many will complain about recoil, I have not noticed much due to the fact I shoot Low-recoil 00 or birdshot through it. This stock will also take very well to Aluma-Hyde II from brownells.com. I have had mine for 2 years now at least and has held up very well.

The only real downfall is the optional shell holder. With the recoil and bouncing around the shells do like to slide out sometimes.

Mounted on a Mav88

DSCN0297_zps53a9b50f.jpg

DSCN0300_zpsb77d5245.jpg

Back