• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Which model to get for mossberg 590 home defense?

I am looking into buying a mossberg 590 to use as a home defense model but I am having trouble deciding between the different model options. I wasn't sure if it would be best to buy a mossberg 590 and then customize it to my liking or if it would be better to buy an already built mossberg 590A1 special purpose. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Well, I went for the 590A1, rather than the non mil-spec, or perhaps more commercial, 590. My personal feeling here are that the more commercial model offer more variety, like breacher chokes, or the collapsable stock and heat shield. I think these are offerings from Mossberg to turn heads, get noticed. "Tacticool" is marketable, but it doesnt make a better shooting firearm, and it doesnt make a better shooter. I dont have any issues with these models or the folks who purchase them, but I'm approaching this from an HD stand point. If you need an HD firearm, you need form and function. The 590A1, with the heavy wall barrel and metal trigger gaurd and tang safety button, is a heavy mamba jamba. It may not be the ideal HD gun either. My HD gun is actually a 500 Persuader/Cruiser wearing a pistol grip and plain bead sight. You can certainly do this with a 590, but the 590A1 is going to have a 20" barrel also.

So, while I like the offerings from Mossberg in the Special Purpose models, when it comes to HD, keep it simple. Something light weight enough with a low profile that can be accessed quickly when needed, and simple enough you could function it in your sleep. Gauge what youre able to maneuver in your home, and select an appropriate firearm. By all means, if the 590 suits you, go for it! But ideally, a simple pump action, the heat shield and breacher choke is optional! :)

I'm still thinking about this... and I want to be able to answer your question in a less vague way. Do you have any particular models in mind, or options in particular you have questions about?

We can break it down and hash out. The very broad and generalized perspective I have given is based in my preference for simplicity. What works/purpose specific and is needed vs what looks cool and is wanted.

But again generalizing, the lowest common denominator, functional and most reliable, would be a pump action, quick pointing, short barrel, (18" being the shortest legal length bbl.).

Something else I had thought about. Would you intend for the gun to be an HD only, or would it be pulling double duty for hunting or target shooting?

OneShot, the first thing to understand is that both shotguns basically do the exact same thing. The "Special Purpose" is just a marketing label that Mossberg puts on their catalog description really. The 590 comes in the 20" barrel length, and the A1 will give you the option of either the 18.5" or 20" barrel.
The 20" barrels are long. Obviously, 1.5" isn't a whole lot, but it can be noticeable. Moreso if you're getting in and out of vehicles or in very tight spaces. With the A1, they are also slightly heavier. Now granted in HD use you're probably not going to be carrying it long distances or for a long period of time. but if you should need to hold it one-handed, it gets more noticeable. The benefit to the 20" version is that you get 3 more rounds. May be important to you, may not.
The 18.5" barrels are a little shorter and lighter. They are still going to be the A1 heavy wall, so the weight savings won't really matter except when compared to the 590A1 20" model. You do have a 6 round capacity. You can get an extension for it if you want. On the plus side to the 18.5" model is that you can use the sporting barrels for an 835 on it. So you can have a purpose built defensive gun with a short barrel and then switch out a longer sporting barrel if you want.
Where that extra 1.5" length can make a difference is if you put a short LOP stock on the shotgun like the Hogue ShortShot or a cut down OEM stock. If you can take 2" off of the stock and then consider the 1.5" on the barrel, that's almost 4" of length gone.
The A1 package includes the metal safety, metal trigger guard, and heavy wall barrel. The metal safety is a nice feature. Mossberg safeties have a checkered history. The metal safety is a nice insurance policy. The metal trigger guard is another insurance item, but one that I don't think I've heard of being a problem. The heavy wall barrel is nice for steel environments, and for knowing that it will take pretty much anything you could ever do to it without denting. Of the three, I would say that the metal safety is the only thing I would absolutely want of the three on any 590 I would ever buy.
As far as customizing, I would say wait until you have the shotgun and shoot it a few times before you decide what to add to it, if anything. If you're using it for defensive purposes then consider what benefit anything you want to add has. If it enhances or creates the defensive capability of the shotgun, then get it. If it doesn't, or is for cosmetic purposes don't get it.
As a minimum for me a defensive shotgun should have a light and a sling. Beyond that I would consider adding a tritium bead and a means to carry extra ammunition. But before making that decision, get some triger time with it and ideally a class or two.

Thanks for all the advice, I certainly have some things to think about before I go and buy a mossberg 590. I really appreciate your time. I think I will ultimately go with the basic mossberg 590A1 with the 18.5 barrel and modify it over time.

IMHO, the 590A1 offers NOTHING to the HD shotty over the 590 except length (18" gun).
All of the "upgrades" made on the 590A1 were solely intended to meet different "military requests" NOT just "milspec"
For example the bbl wall thickness originally was not "milspec" but requeested by the dept of the Navy due to numbskull sailors having a high occurance of dented bbls. this was due to the smacking of the bbl against bulkeads in ships and droping the guns on steel decks.

Bayo lug and heatsheild, well bayo charges in the home are indeed more rare than on the battle field, useless weight IMO.
t

the metal trigger group/guard is nice, however in my experience with the military 590's I have seen ONE broken trigger guard and it was broken when the empty gun was used as a blugeon. It is entirly possible that a metal one would not have broken.
Also I was issued a 590 NOT a 590a1 ALL the shotguns we had were the standard trigger pack.(edit to add the 18'bbls were added at the unit armorer level I understand in my case) there are more 590a1's in the system than the 590.
even some of the 590a1's had the standard trigger pack on them. YMMV

The metal safety is a nice thing, but for way less than the cost differense between a 590 and A1 you can have it.
and not all a1's have it.

I would and do suggest the 590a1 18 in over the A1 20 in or 590 in a HD or defense situation

length - Pro
weight -Pro
same plateform -Pro
A1 upgrades not worth the cost to a average guy and the upgrades are not going to be utlized anyway - Con
Ability to use 835 bbls for other applications such as hunting IF the weapon is to serve as a multi role non HD dedicated weapon. - Pro
As far as the heatshield, I can take em or leave them, I personially dont intend on bayonet fighting in my home and the pourpose of the heatsheald is bayo fighting,
that brings me to the bayo lug, well its just not for me in a HD situation, Pro (18 not having it)

the only upgrades the 590 needs are the same upgrades any HD shotty needs a light and extra rounds on the weapon, side saddle/buttcuff/velscroed to the stock/reciever. whatever you choose.

The 590 is a 20" barrel length only. The A1 can be had with an 18.5" barrel, so length can go to the A1 if you are talking about the 6 shot model.
Weight is more with the A1, although I don't recall exactly what if any real difference there is between the 20" 590 and the 18.5" A1.
I'd agree that about the only real advantage of the A1 upgrades (for lack of a better term) is the metal safety. I've never seen a broken trigger guard or heard of one, and a standard barrel is going to survive just about anything you could do with the shotgun.
The 835 barrels will only be able to be installed on the 18.5" guns, which means the 6 shot A1.
Ideally, I would want an 18.5" 6 shot 590 that did not have the A1 barrel; unfortunately you can't get them because they aren't made. I think a short barreled standard-wall barrel would drop weight and length and be plenty durable while still having a good defensive capacity.
I'm like you as far as the trigger guard, nice insurance but not absolutely needed. I do like the metal safety, as I've seen several of those spit the bit after a lot of use.

I am in error,

edited my post incorrectly I guess. corrections made

I missed a few spaces and apparently when I submitted and went back to change a few things my changes didnt submit.

there was sapposed to be a Pro /con after each reason for the 590a1, and addition that the 590a1 18" was my choice.

I have a 590a1 18" that does not have the metal trigger guard nor the metal safety but is stamped 590a1, and I have seen them in the military the same way.

And we agree on the ultimate, but to get it you have to build it.

the 590 18" guns I have seen and used were built guns, either with replacement parts (USGI) or bought parts (CIV)

For example put a a1 18 in tube on a 500 reciever (can use an 835 or a1 18 in. tube) add either an 835 bbl or a 18" 590a1 bbl.

I had thought about doing something like that, I just think an 18.5" barrel on a standard 590 would be greatness and if it were available from the factory it would sell well. A lot of people don't want all the A1 features (with the barrel weight being the greatest complaint), and would be more than satisfied with the shorter barrel and less of a nose-heavy configuration without those extra three rounds way out there at the muzzle.
I may just need to go set one of those up.
Is the 835 a standard barrel profile or is it more like the A1 barrel wall?

Mine (835) is a standard bbl wall it is lighter than an 18" a1 bbl.

I need to get some facts, but I am thinking I read or was told that now the 18" bbl can be had in the lighter (standard?) profile/thickness)

hunter72 said:
Mine (835) is a standard bbl wall it is lighter than an 18" a1 bbl.

I need to get some facts, but I am thinking I read or was told that now the 18" bbl can be had in the lighter (standard?) profile/thickness)

Well, I've never seen a standard thickness bbl for the 18 1/2" 590, just the A1's, BUT I saw in this years catalog and on their online catalog Mossy lists the new 590A1 W/the LPA triffer and a FLUTED A1 heavy bbl. When I first saw it I thought if that fluting take's it to the weight of a 500, or at least closer to that then the A1, I'LL TAKE ONE! Mix it up w/a 22" 835 barrel and......NICE!!
Steve

I tried to fallow along but you guys lost me.
im buying a shotgun for HD as well as hunting and target shooting.
i want it to be as compact as possible seeing as its also a HD weapon.
it was suggested to get the M590 cruiser/breacher.
I think that one is 18.5"
and it has the pistol grip so il add an collapsible stock to it
and that should be a solid base, any accessories i add will come later
Any suggestions or advice is welcome. still really new to shooting.
Much mahalo's
Cody

Welcome aboard Cody!

^ ...the 590 Cruiser/Breacher has a 23" barrel. It's gonna be one long SOB with a stock extended.

I'd look into a simple 6 shot 18.5" model with a stock available in your choice of 500, 590, 590a1. If you like a pistol grip, there are tactical models that come with a pistol grip and a 6-position adjustable stock. The pistol grip only models are fun for splattering pumpkins, but don't underestimate the value of a buttstock when it comes to being able to hit EXACTLY what you're aiming for. The added control over the weapon could mean the difference between life or death for you, your intended target, or anything else on the other side of it.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Welcome aboard Cody!

Yes, glad you're here!

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
The pistol grip only models are fun for splattering pumpkins, but don't underestimate the value of a buttstock when it comes to being able to hit EXACTLY what you're aiming for. The added control over the weapon could mean the difference between life or death for you, your intended target, or anything else on the other side of it.

This.

Back