• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

You Never Forget Your First!

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
I want to hear from everyone on their first experience shooting a firearm.

How old were you? What model pistol, caliber, etc? Who were you with. Tell us a little bit about the experience. I'm sure we'll have some interesting stories...

I was about seven years old and had been eyeballing my dad's cowboy gun for a while, a Ruger single-six .22lr. He had it hangin in a western style holster with an old .22 rifle and a .30-.30 Winchester '73 on a gun rack made from horse shoes in the den. I was always fascinated by the "display", but was well aware that if I touched anything up there my @$$ would be in a sling PDQ.

One Saturday he caught me lookin and said, "Wanna shoot it?" I don't think I spoke, but nodded my head yes in disbelief. We headed to the back yard (we lived in the sticks) and he went through the basic mechanics with me and made sure I knew how dangerous it could be. Then he let me load it up and we spent the afternoon shoot'n a coffee can. Was a great day and one of those right of passage moments I'll never forget...

I was 24 years old when I shot my first pistol. It was a Springfield Armory XD40 subcompact that I bought to be my full carry pistol. I will never forget the first time I pulled the trigger...I was instantly hooked.

I know what you mean. It becomes addictive pretty quick. There's just something about pullin that trigger that's always put a smile on my face...

Yea before I knew it I had gone through 5000+ rounds and had a rapidly growing collection handguns.

Great stories! Good memories too!

I was 11 if I remember correctly.

My great uncle Sam had an area set up in his basement with a sloped concrete ceiling to prevent ricochet and some sort of trap in the back that spiralled down.

The gun was a S&W .38 Special. I dont really remember too much in the way of details, just remember shooting and loving a revolver!

Very nice Brad!

You went right to the Saturday night special! Sounds like a sweet set-up he had in the basement.

Yep, and I've loved the revolver ever since! It was cool the way he had it and I havent seen anything like it since.

Good thread!

Thanks man,

It's good to stroll down memory lane every once in a while and I like hearin other people's stories...

My dad let me try his .22 revolver when I was about 7 or 8. I don't remember what kind it was, but he loaded some blanks to let me get used to the 'bang' first. Then we went out and shot some targets, along with my older brother. That day will always be with me because it was one of the first times I felt included & a little more grown up. It's almost time to take my oldest son out to the range. I'll always remember the shooting lessons & firearm respect my dad taught us growing up.

It's great that you'll now be able to pass it along to your son and keep the fond memories going...

It was so long ago, April 23rd, 2011. I remember like it was only a couple months ago.

A friend let my girl and I use his Springfield XD 9mm at the range so we could both try shooting his and see how we felt about shooting in general. I had talked to him a couple times and had a lot of questions (I know, hard to imagine...) This was something that I had badgered him about for about a year off and on and finally he knew I needed a push.

Both my girl and I were instantly hooked, but still kept saying "someday" we would get one. Well, after about 6 months went by he pestered me right back and got me the two of us to file for and receive our CCL, the game was afoot! I had stuck my head right into the fire at that point. I was reading about them online, researching what I wanted to know and decided I really liked his Springfield, and I was going to get one... "someday".

That same week as filling for the CCL, I decided I would never get moving until I went and looked in an actual gun shop. Having never stepped foot in one before, I didn't understand the culture, so it all felt very foreign. Lucky for me I got someone behind the counter that was willing to spend the time to work with me and let me hang onto several guns before settling on an XDm 3.8 9mm. I didn’t buy then and there because we were supposed to go to another shop the next day to look around. Not to mention I still held myself back saying that now that I found the one I liked, I would get it “someday”, but this time, my girl was looking at me like I just passed on a free trip to the moon.

The following day, I did the same routine. I talked to the guy at the counter, and ended up on the same gun. At that point, my girl shoved the paperwork in my hands and told me that if I didn’t do it, she was going to fill it out for me as a birthday present (my birthday was the next day and she had already decided I was getting a gun for my birthday). :lol:

I had to wait a few days for a pre arranged trip to the indoor range with the same friend to fire it. It was murder! I had talked myself out of it all for so long and here it was in my house unfired! Eventually the day came and off we went. Got to my lane, and loaded up for the first time. The first SNAP of the slide still resonates in my hand. :) The first time pulling the trigger still is echoing throughout my frame. I was grabbed by the nape of my inner child’s neck and dragged into a new world with a big grin on my face. Between my girl and I, we put over 300 rounds down range that day. Both of us left there more relaxed that we had been in a long time.

From there it was all downhill. Our CCL’s came in approved, she got a Springfield XD Sub-Compact, I fired the same friends Mossberg and ended up with my 590A1, I bought her a .22 rifle, and I just picked up a Ruger Mark III .22 pistol to participate in the bulls-eye league at the gun club we joined.
I do have to wonder what kept me from doing this sooner, but I have arrived none the less. I still have a TON of questions, and lots to learn, but so far I have found a few good friendly resources to lean on when I need it. So, here is where I can say thank you for being one of the communities that helped me and continues to do so as I keep pulling the triggers!

Let's see... I was 19 and in the US Navy. First time up was with our issued M9 or Baretta 92FS. I managed to qualify and become a Qualified Armed Watchstander. I later went on to qualify Expert with this weapon and it served me very well on my deployment in 2001. Now, that I am out and have fired other handguns, I will never go back to the M9... :lol:

Yeah, I guess the 92 is an acquired taste. I love mine for what they are, but definitely not my everyday shooters.

Thanks for sharing and for your service!

It was my pleasure. When I was in the USCG, the switched to the SIG P229 DAK in .40, I never go to fire one. But, it did feel better in my hand then the M9.

My 92s are primarily range guns. The actions are super smoothe and they're by far the softest shoot'n 9mm pistols I own. My favorite shoot'n 92 is my compact type M. The single-stacked mag makes the grip a LOT thinner and it doesn't feel so chunky.

My Pop's EDC is his SIG P226. He doesn't leave home without it...

I was 12 and my uncle had just picked up a Raging Bull Model 500. Yup, that's right, the S&W .500 Magnum. (No one ever said he was the brightest guy.) Talk about recoil from hell. Let's just say all 90 lbs of me was on the floor right quick. He could drive a round bout 6 inches into a solid oak tree out back with it. It was one hell of a gun. I didn't shoot another handgun till I was 16, which was a Glock .45, not sure what model. I was hooked from then on, though.

Damn, that reminds me of that scene from Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man, "Harley, nobody learns to shoot on a converted .454..."

Haha, I would have loved to have seen the look on your face when you pulled the trigger!

Great story!

Back