• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Brand New 4x4. Hard to cycle bolt.

03akkord5spd

Copper BB
Newbie here with a question:

I purchased a brand new 4x4 .270 a few days ago and I haven't even fired a live round yet. The bolt has been cycling through smooth and then is just a tad harder to cycle the bolt upward, before moving backward after a dry fire (only dry fired a few times). The backwards bullet extraction/insertion motion has always required minimal effort.

However, I took off the barrel to adjust the LBA trigger (left the adjustment screw where it was) and after putting the barrel back on, the bolt almost seems to be binding on the upward motion after a dry fire - making it very difficult to move the bolt handle upward. It has done this even with the barrel off the stock, so I know it isn't stock related. I've only performed this a few times as well, because I know it's not supposed to be that hard to cycle the bolt upward.

Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the group! Wish I could help, but trust me....these awesome guys in here will be helping you in no time! :) hope you get it figured out soon! Good luck.

thanks for the welcome!

UPDATE: I have been cycling it through a pretty good bit (non-dry fire) since I got it and even took the barrel off to install a bipod also. So I hit a few spots with some oil and now it does seem to cycle smoother after a dry fire. Still not as smooth as a non-fire cycle, but still more stubborn/notchy on the initial upward bolt movement.

Which brings me to my next conclusion: I know it's a cheaper entry level rifle so everything isn't going to cycle as nice as a higher end rifle. So with that being said, is the symptom I'm experiencing normal for 4x4s? I would just like to hear back from a few of you guys with firsthand feedback. Thanks again.

Ummm...that thingamajigger should probably be in that one spot, by the other thingy. I think you are experiencing the 4x4 iliketocursealotwhenicantfigureitout syndrome. I think you should try doing that other thing again and then do a head stand while drinking a beer and see if that helps. Report back and let me know if my info/suggestions helped ya out! In the meantime, hopefully you'll get some 'decent' tips from another member, even though I'm sure I've already helped. ;)

So on most bolt action rifles, the firing pin gets set and cocked on the forward stroke of the bolt. Once the “hammer” is set it stays that way till the trigger is pulled. So to me it sounds like when you cycle the bolt after you fire you are feeling the resistance of the firing pin being set. If you cycle the bolt without firing the resistance is gone since it is already set and waiting to fire. Make since ?

Yea, makes perfect sense. I started to realize that it is probably totally normal. I think I was just being paranoid with it being brand new and not wanting to hold onto a lemon if it was one. Thanks for the reassurance. :)

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum 03akkord5spd !!

When I read your first post it sounded like it might have needed some oil...then Oli700 jumped on it and the non-problem is solved.

Glad to hear everything worked out...post some pics when you get a chance.

( BTW...what's the fire mission...ie, whatcha huntin' ?! )

Fire mission FUR.......speaking of fire mission Shooter, They were doing RED FLAG when I was in Alaska.....impressive. Between the sun never going down and the bombs I didn’t get much sleep, good thing for exhaustion. We were finding live ordinance on our fire

It was real old stuff, they weren’t that close to us but we could hear it going very clear......there were spots we couldn’t fly though, they told us we would be shot down by automated missile defense systems….good to know I said

same happens to mine and i havnt fired it yet either. its just the pin being reset i think and will just take a little oil and some breaking in. maybe will take a few shots. have you cycled any rounds through it yet? i have and some of mine dont go in correctly. just wondering if you are having the same issue.

Yea, it definitely got easier the more I cycled rounds through it. I probably cycled like 300 rounds through it before it was even fired for the first time. I sighted it in about a month back and it was doing 1.5"-2" groups at 100 yards with very little seat time, so that could definitely improve. No complaints at all with it.

EDIT: I actually took a ruler to my range target that was used to scope my rifle in and my groupings were more along the lines of .5"-1" using 130gr Remington Core-Lokts. Guess I shouldn't trust my eyes as much. :)

Also, first impressions of the gun was that it was extremely accurate and the recoil wasn't as much as I expected. It seems as though the recoil pad on the 4x4 is better than the one on the ATRs from my reading. No complaints at all after the first trip to the range and 40 rounds fired.

Back