• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Concealed Handgun License (CHL)

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
Who on here has a concealed handgun license? I am waiting for mine to come in the mail.

I have had mine a couple years. Here it is called a concealed carry permit, as it covers any legal firearm and edged weapons with blades over 6" long. Our county sheriff is very happy to have law abiding citizens defending themselves and their families.

Have mine.

TN calls it a Handgun Carry Permit (HCP). It too only applies to handguns.

The state has some odd laws pertaining to the transport of long guns. Rifles/Shotguns must always be transported in an "unloaded" state which means no ammo or magazines within reach of the firearm. If you're taking your AR to the range and there are empty magazines in the case, you are technically breaking the law. Kinda wierd. Although any Game Warden or Trooper will tell you that they will judge "intent" when confronted with a rifle in the car. If you've got a range bag and paper targets with the rifle they usually won't mess with you, but I don't like to leave things up to chance. Mine travel in the back of the SUV with all ammo and mags up front with me. Transport of handguns is subject to these same restrictions for non-permit holders.

Well I have Two The Texas CHL and I'm CHL Instructor I have The Utah CWP and I am a Instructor and I will also have a Florida CWP and will be a Florida Instructor..Tryin to plan the Trip to FL and get the family to Disney World.. I'll be in Kalifornia in June for a wedding and Disney land trip and I'll be Unarmed for 17 days!! :twisted: :roll:

Here's a MAP of all the STATES I can Carry Legally!!

USA_Carry_Maps_snapshot-1.jpg

In CT it is a "Permit to Carry Pistols & Revolvers".

The state has no law on the books that require the gun to be concealed.

I have been carrying both concealed and open for about 20 years.

I also have a non resident PA permit.

Here in Pennsylvania, we have an LTCF...License To Carry Firearm...which means in every county and city in the state a person ( non convicted felon, non drug user, non mental patient ) can legally carry a firearm. Also, in every county and city (save one...more on that later) a person is allowed to open carry...meaning no LTCF is required.

I am the proud owner of an LTCF... and have been legally concealed carrying a firearm since the mid-90's.

Of course, any Federal building...Military installations...Post Office...State / City Building...Court House...Elementary / Secondary schools ( k-12 grade )...Prisons / Detention centers...and Mental hospitals are off limits.

You will notice two things in the first paragraph...

1.) Never is the word "concealed" used or implied...nor does it appear anywhere on the LTCF card.
2.) Never is the word "permit" used or implied...as it is a state right guaranteed by the PA Constitution

Now...by PA state law, as mentioned above, a person can legally open carry (more on that now) except in Philadelphia (the only city of first class, ie=population above a certain # )...due to the Philly PD being somewhat hostile to that portion of the State Constitutional Law.

Now, here's a kicker...I can open carry ( on foot ) without the LTCF, but the minute I enter a vehicle without the LTCF...I become illegal because that's considered "concealed". Now, of course, if I disarm and put the firearm in the car far enough away from the driver (read gun owner) that it cannot be used for self defense, I am allowed to transport said firearm to and from any destination in PA and then once out of said vehicle, re-arm and open carry again. (Of course, having a LTCF, the aforementioned rule is mute.)

It's got to a point where I actually carry a copy of the state firearm laws...got it from my State Rep.

http://paopencarry.org/pdfs/Pennsylvania_Gun_Rights.pdf

Here's my EDC firearm...a Glock30SF...10+1 shots of .45 caliber. "Don't leave home without it...!!"

GLOCK30SF-1-1.jpg

Around here you can carry on person or in vehicle one in the chamber if you want, just don’t conceal it.
A lot of people around here carry pistols on a belt just because they can especially when you get out to the small 200 to 400 people logging towns almost everyone . State Police train their drug dogs at my HQ and I cornered them on the vehicle thing. They said I can carry my SG, pistol loaded as long as it’s not concealed. I don’t have one in the chamber but all the mags are loaded. Another loop hole is if you are on your way to or from target shooting you can conceal weapon for the trip. Got to be able to prove you were target shooting. A local gun shop puts on CC classes. I was talking to them about it and none of them have it, they just carry targets in their vehicle....that’s how I found out about that one. However vehicles are being looked at in my state right now and they might try to make it where you vehicle will be considered a public place so no guns….doubt it goes that far but all the voting population is in two counties that out number the rest of the state….and they are full of hippies and California transplants so who knows

I live in Arizona ... don't need one here (sorry, I'm not trying to rub it in). If I traveled alot then I'd probably get one so that I could carry in other states but my travels are limited. I carry whenever I leave the house unless I'm going to work (which is only 10 minutes away).

Completed my 12 hour Ohio CCW class on July 16th.

Now just need to make time to visit an adjacent county to submit my application. I live 5mins. from my local Sherriff's office, but know it will be easier to drive an hour to another department. :roll:

Same boat as you...just waiting for mine to arrive in the mail.

I should have my "Shielded" holster arriving any day now....for my Glock 19. It'll look somewhat like this guys:

5519510347_7dc58e1464.jpg

In New York or Long island , you'll be lucky to get it in 6 mos to a year! Suffolk is a bit better but it's still a looooong wait! Once you get out of the NY metropolitan area it's a different story, 3-6 mos in most upstate counties. BTW- if you live in "the city"- you better have friends in LE or forget it!

Here in Iowa it's called a Permit to Carry Weapons and means just that. I can legally carry any weapon (openly or concealed) that is not restricted by local law or regulations. Knives, swords, rifles/long guns, pistols, tasers, or ninja stars if you so choose. At the beginning of the year Iowa did a good and bad thing in one move. They made it a lot easier to acquire your PCW, but the requirements are to just take a basic information class. The class doesn't even have to make you qualify or handle a weapon (the bad). The good is that before Iowa was a 'may-issue' state vs. a 'shall-issue' state. The local Sheriff had all the authority over who received permits. Some county sheriffs flat out refused to allow people to carry. Some would issue, but you had to jump through crazy hoops or meet a 'special need' not related to law enforcement to get his/her sign-off.

Sn3aKyGuY said:
Here in Iowa it's called a Permit to Carry Weapons and means just that. I can legally carry any weapon (openly or concealed) that is not restricted by local law or regulations. Knives, swords, rifles/long guns, pistols, tasers, or ninja stars if you so choose. At the beginning of the year Iowa did a good and bad thing in one move. They made it a lot easier to acquire your PCW, but the requirements are to just take a basic information class. The class doesn't even have to make you qualify or handle a weapon (the bad). The good is that before Iowa was a 'may-issue' state vs. a 'shall-issue' state. The local Sheriff had all the authority over who received permits. Some county sheriffs flat out refused to allow people to carry. Some would issue, but you had to jump through crazy hoops or meet a 'special need' not related to law enforcement to get his/her sign-off.

i think to renew we will have to take a more class with a shooting requirment within the last year before renewal

sneaky please correct me if im wrong

QUESTION: What are the training requirements for the renewal of an Iowa professional or nonprofessional permit to carry weapons?

ANSWER: For renewal of a permit, the training program requirements for a new Iowa professional or nonprofessional permit to carry weapons shall apply or the renewal applicant may choose to qualify on a firing range under the supervision of an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association or certain other firearms training certifying bodies (such as the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy). Such training or qualification must occur within the twelve-month period prior to the expiration of the applicant's current permit.

So, to clarify that jumbled mess of words, you can retake the certification class within 12 months of your current permit expiring OR qualify in front of a certified NRA Instructor or Iowa or Des Moines Law Enforcement Academy Instructor.

If you have any more questions here is the link to the Department of Public Safety website FAQ document regarding Iowa Permit to Carry Weapons -> http://www.dps.state.ia.us/asd/SF2379_FAQ.pdf

Sn3aKyGuY said:

Your country is really interesting because they would allow that. I'm not really sure about our country since its strict and also only the police would carry those. With regards to your laws and regulations it really impressed me at all. :D

Back