• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 100 ATR 30-06 lever is tight on reload

Hello everyone first off I love my mossberg 12 and just purchased a rifle in 30-06 being that it my first rifle I don't know if the lever is supposed to be that tight. I have seen other people reload with one hand and can't seem to do that with my rifle it just seems the bolt action is way to hard

Try it with a spent casing. If a loaded cartridge has the bullet ogive hitting the leade in the throat, you are trying to cam a bullet into the rifling. The headspace would then be off and it's very difficult to push the bolt lever downward. It's possible that the headspace may be off, or the leade in the rifling is too close for that bullet profile.

Do the cartridges you are trying to load with considerable effort show rifling marks in the bullet close to the case neck when you eject a loaded cartridge (even if you don't get the bolt lever pushed down fully)? That is a very dangerous condition as there is no room for ignition pressures to build safely during firing as the bullet jumps before hitting the rifling.

If you don't have a spent cartridge yet, and you have another brand/type of ammunition then try that. Or take it (unloaded) to a gun shop for their opinion.

The problem may be the ammunition you have. Or, it may be another issue.

Try it with a spent casing. If a loaded cartridge has the bullet ogive hitting the leade in the throat, you are trying to cam a bullet into the rifling. The headspace would then be off and it's very difficult to push the bolt lever downward. It's possible that the headspace may be off, or the leade in the rifling is too close for that bullet profile.

Do the cartridges you are trying to load with considerable effort show rifling marks in the bullet close to the case neck when you eject a loaded cartridge (even if you don't get the bolt lever pushed down fully)? That is a very dangerous condition as there is no room for ignition pressures to build safely during firing as the bullet jumps before hitting the rifling.

If you don't have a spent cartridge yet, and you have another brand/type of ammunition then try that. Or take it (unloaded) to a gun shop for their opinion.

The problem may be the ammunition you have. Or, it may be another issue.

The ammo goes in smooth the problem seems to be in the initial upward motion of the lever. ammunition loading is fine when I'm trying to set the firing pin is when it feels rough

Well, I guess I didn't get the point of when operating the bolt lever was difficult.

Sorry to waste your time......

Is the bolt difficult to open with the chamber empty?

Is it difficult to open only after firing a round?

Once the bolt has been opened (Weapon cocked), close the bolt and try to open it again without pulling the trigger (Please do this with an empty chamber). Is it as difficult to re-open the bolt?

Is the bolt difficult to open with the chamber empty?

Is it difficult to open only after firing a round?

Once the bolt has been opened (Weapon cocked), close the bolt and try to open it again without pulling the trigger (Please do this with an empty chamber). Is it as difficult to re-open the bolt?
Just after firing once cocked it is soft

so is it the recoil of the shell setting the bolt back making it harder or does it do the same thing if you dry fire it and cycle it without firing a live round ?

Just after firing once cocked it is soft
If you are shooting quality factory ammunition that is of the correct caliber, the rifle's headspace is not set correctly. Send it to Mossberg and have them correct it. If you are shooting handloads, you make have a number of things causing this (Too much powder for the load [ie: Too hot], the ogive of the bullet may be contacting the lands, ect).

EDIT:

I just saw the post where you say the bolt is difficult to cycle when dry fired. This may be a simple fix. Disassemble the bolt then clean and properly lube (VERY little lube is rquired or desired on the bolt).

My Remington 700s did this when they were new.

The bolts were gummed up inside with thick, sticky factory grease making it difficult to raise the lever on the reset. If Mossberg ships out thier bolt guns like they do thier shotguns there's probably enough grease on your bolt to coat a diesel engine. The resistance you are feeling is likely a combination of that and the bolt simply being new. Like MikeT said, I'd disassemble the bolt and give it a thorough degrease and cleaning followed by a light coat of oil. Should make a world of difference...

We'll took the bolt out and did some cleaning and lubing it did improve thanx for the info guys much appreciated now to get ready for the range this weekend

Back