• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

SA-20 Turkey THUG field test

Well , I got the SA-20 down on the farm and was able to fire it for the first time . I had it worked on by my gunsmith as it had lifter troubles and cycling troubles right out of the box .
It ran 3" Turkey 1 oz. loads like a charm - but would not function an ANY other shells I put in it . Is there a 2 3/4 " shell that it is designed to run on ? The thing kicked like a 12 ga. with the 3" shells .

I would think it should eat most 2 3/4 in shells. I have the 930 which is a very similar design and it eats anything I put in it.

Make sure the gas ports are not getting clogged, that could prevent enough gas from passing to inhibit cycling.

I just added to a post at this LINK. In that post, I've added links to some of my posts on The Thug. Sorry to hear you are having issues with yours! :(

Sorry about the problems.

The gas ports and the piston can be a problem. They get dirty. If you have taken the gun apart, make sure the action, bolt, bolt carrier and all, and the piston slide easily along the oiled magazine tube without the recoil spring installed. If you haven't, ask the gunsmith if he did it.

Try putting a pipe cleaner (recommended), very thin plastic rod or tube or some thin copper wire (carefully) through both gas ports from the piston sleeve side and make sure you can see they came through in the barrel. it should go through easily. Checking with just a light is difficult.

When you say it would not function, what exactly happens or doesn't happen?

At the range (or farm in your case) and pointing down range, if you load a 2 3/4 shell in the magazine can you manually cycle it into the chamber quickly? What about several shells in a row?

Can you manually cycle a 2 3/4 in. shell out of the chamber? (manually eject)

If you fire a 2 3/4 inch 1 oz shot shell (6, 7.5 or 8), high brass, does it eject the shell?

If so does low brass of the same weight eject the shell?

If the shell is ejecting, will it load another from the magazine or does it jam? Does it jam going into the chamber or does it not lift the shell?

This may sound like a stupid, unrelated question, but have you loaded and/or unloaded the magazine tube manually a lot?

As always , thank you Bobster and BrianJ for your advice ;

since the gun was never shot until my trip to the farm - I would think the ports were open and clean .
I should state that the 2 3/4" shells I tried were all low brass cheap birdshot, probably not 1 oz or heavier .
I was able to cycle the shells manually , but nearly every time I fired them they would stovepipe.
The next shell would kind of jam kock-eyed -not able to go into the chamber @ a 45 degree angle from the lifter .
And no - I have only loaded the tube manually a couple of times .

The gun has only had about a dozen rounds thru it , I will hopefully have a positive report as soon as I get back from the Farm around Aug. 1st .
I bought a whole boatload of Remington Express #3 Buckshot and although not sure what the weight is ( surely 1 oz. or more ?? ) , I have to believe if the gun is sound - it will eat up the Buckshot just swell ............at least I sure hope so !

The reason I asked about loading and unloading the tube is that there was a thread a while back where the lifters were bent and would not load a shell straight. They were twisting when the mag tube was loaded.
see if the lifter looks straight or is twisted.

Brian -

I had taken my brand new Thug to my gunsmith to fix the bent lifter ; he polished the chamber and fixed the lifter to the tune of $85.00 .
I will be in a better position to enlighten myself as well as u guy's when I get back from the next trip to the farm .

Ah yes......it is nice to have a place to go to shoot un molested ........
The 20 ga Thug ran just fine on the Remington Express Buckshot -although if the shells were dented, crimped funny, sliced or not basically pristine in shape ....... the gun would stovepipe .
Hopefully it will get more temperamental after it gets good and broke in .

Back