• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question with pics

Just the tip of the barrel where they butchered it. But I am probably gonna wind up just getting some of that stuff and soaking it in it.

But I'm gonna try WD40 first. I don't have anything big enough to lay it in so I'm gonna go find something tomorrow and get it soaking.

it's great that you found it. looks purty bad but if the chamber is good then it should be ok to use. clean the heck out of it and then just use some high temp black paint on it. will make it look mean, as if it really needs that. I think the inside will need a reamer run through it a few times. something like a brake cyl hone.

Hi, Brother. The BATFE measures a shotgun barrel length by installing it on a host shotgun and, with the guns bolt forward in locked battery, they drop a measuring rod down the barrel from the muzzle. The measured length is taken from the bolt face to the muzzle crown.

Hope your project works out to be a success!

Thanks for the info nitesite. I was actually going to ask about how to measure the length properly. I seem to remember reading that somewhere else on this site. Once I get it cleaned up enough to install it I will measure to make sure it is going to be usable before I go any further.

Mbshop, Im hoping I can get most of the rust off chemically but I was thinking about the hones I have seen used on motorcycle engines. Some of those cylinders are pretty small. I may be able to find one that will be small enough to fit this barrel if need be.

So the more I have contemplated this the more confused I have become. I'm hesitant to use the steel wool because I'm worried about it scoring the steel. So I went back to the store and looked at the rust remover I saw in the paint aisle. It it's designed to be brushed on and then rinsed ten minutes later. It comes in a small bottle and it would be rather expensive to buy enough to dip the barrel in.

http://m.sears.com/product-details/p-SPM2049435514?partNumber=SPM2049435514&sid=IDx20110310x00001i

So I think I'm gonna need to do some more research on some different chemicals. I have thought about using something like this:

http://www.google.com/shopping/prod...9&ci_sku=100670289&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969

What do y'all think?

I just really don't want to screw this up!

And I am hesitant to try a hone at this point because there is still some large rust spots on the inside of the barrel. I thunk I'm gonna need to get that broken down and smoothed out some before I try a hone.

So after some reading and youtubing I have decided to try soaking the barrel in vinegar. It will probably still need some work afterwards but from what I can tell that should remove the majority of the rust.

You can just start with naval jelley. Its not expensive. And you are correct that much of the rust needs to be gone from the inside of the barrel before using the hone. The brake cyl hones are very small and will work perfectly. Maybe harbor freight.

Just sand blast it, the surface is already rough from the rust. A few minutes and the whole thing will be rust free.

I did this on a project a couple years back and it worked out OK. For the inside use a dowel, drill and scouring pads. If does not have to be perfect, just clean enough to not create extra drag, it's a shotgun not a sniper rifle.

Soda or walnut shell blasting might be better. But the idea here is to keep the cost to a bare minimum otherwise it would
be cheaper to just buy a new barrel.

If does not have to be perfect, just clean enough to not create extra drag, it's a shotgun not a sniper rifle.

This is what I was thinking. lol Start with the vinegar and just try a scouring pad or something on the outside (the scrubbing side of a sponge?) Just to see how easy or hard it will come off. Also I'm not a gunsmith but I'd be looking for any major pitting, again starting on the outside which would give you a indication of the inside. If you have a lot of pitting, especially on the inside, it may not be worth it. I would think steel wool would be fine as well. It's not a course material so any scuffs or scratches would be very minimal (vs. a wire brush) plus would be covered by any paint you apply (might even help paint adhesion).

Yeah. The more I have read the more I am leaning away from honing the barrel. If it were a competiton gun or something I might could see it but this is gonna be my next to the night stand, Johnny crack head coming through the window gun. As long as it is safe and functional I will be happy. And I'm worried that honing it down smooth would take the wall thickness to low.

Honing with a cyl hone will take little to near nothing off. Theyare basically used to polish the insides of the cyl. A few runs back and forth will not alter the thickness at all.

If theres any heavy deposit left after soaking a hone wont do any good. Might have to find a sanding wheel and long arbor to take the corrosion out.

I'd try some Scotch-Brite copper on the end of a cleaning rod and an drill. Keep the pad moving in and out the length of the barrel.;)

Back