• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Forends

Re: 590a1 forend tube length?

Thanks Rossignol! I'm actually opting to getting the 590 special purpose 9 shot that has the blued finish and replacing the plastic safety with a metal one, getting a wood buttstock and ribbed wood forend, refinishing it and putting it on the shotgun. DHonovich has pictures of it on a few forums and it looks SWEET. Not very tactical, but some things don't need to be.

Trevor, Youre welcome! And the wood with the ribbed forend is a classic and beautiful look!!!

Oh crap, I just realized I asked about the 590a1. I meant to ask about the regular 590 special purpose. Should that one have the same size forend tube?

Sure thing and you are welcome!

This may help some too! This is directly from Havlin Sales, speciallizing in Mossberg parts. If ever you have questions, you can always call Victor or Cheryl Havlin!

Havlin Sales
http://havlinsales.com/default.htm

beforeoldstyle.jpg

Comparison of action slide lengths: top 7-5/8”, bottom 6-1/2” Measure from top of threads to bottom of collar that holds the action bars. This measurement is critical to fit when ordering forearms or stock sets that include a forearm. For the most part, 20-year and older sporting shotguns and new tactical shotguns use the 7-5/8” slide. New sporting models have used the 6-1/2” slide for almost 20 years. There are exceptions, however. To be sure, measure! NOTE: Since 2006, most new 500®, 535® and 835® sporting shotguns with synthetic forearms may not use an action slide tube at all; rather, the pump handle will have two integral bars pinned into the handle itself. If you have one of these, you cannot use a forearm that was designed to go over an action slide tube without first buying the correct length tube and action slide tube nut.

Will a 500 forend fit on a 590A1?

Picking up a 590A1 this weekend. I have a 500 that came with the plastic forend that does not allow for replacement without buying a new action tube. I have a Hogue forend that I'd love to use on the 500 and wondered if the parts will interchange and allow me to use the Hogue forend.

Thanks!

Re: Will a 500 forend fit on a 590A1?

Well on the 500 since it has the pinned forearm you will not be able to interchange the parts. You would need to purchase a new action slide. Check if the Hogue forearm is fitted for a 6 3/4 or a 7 3/4.

Yeah, I'm wanting to take the 590's forend off, use the action tube with the Hogue forend and put that on the 500. Then take the 500's plastic forend and put it on the 590. You may ask why I would do this; well, my 500 has a Hogue pistol grip and stays next to the couch. I just want the grips to match. The 590 will be relegated to the bedroom with a full stock and Limbsaver pad.

Only one way to find out....try to swap them.....should work. Come back and let us know how it went

DaveinCT put the Hogue OM forend on his 590A1 and he said it took a bit of work by carefully dremmeling for it to fit. That said, I put an ERGO tri-rail on my 590A1, it was insanely tight. Dan was goin to put the same forend on his 500 and said the tri-rail was equally tight. I have the Hogue forend on my 500 and while snug, it wasnt a chore to put on. By that logic, it would seem the Hogue would fit the 590A1snugly and securely without being unbearably tight goin on.

Thanks! I'm picking up the gun tomorrow morning, meeting at a range for testing beforehand. It's coming with an AR-15 collapsable stock, which will be for sale here shortly; if I want to shoot something with an AR-15 stock, I'll shot my AR-15, thank you.

Can't wait...hard to believe I got my first Mossberg last November; this will be my 5th. No Remingtons in this house.

Sweet, let us know how the shoot goes!

Don't know if this topic is out of date or not so 'scuse me if it's dead.

The Hogue overmold rubber forearm is designed for the Mossy 7 5/8" action tube. If you have the 6 1/2" tube, you'll need the extended adapter nut from Midway.

On the same topic, pretty much all the older Mossy replacement forearms on the market are fitted for the 7 5/8" tube that was the norm at that time. When the 6 1/2" tube came out, the makers sometimes added a cut line to their molds where you could slice the plastic off to get them to fit the shorter tubes. Later aftermarket products like the ATI Universal etc are sized for the shorter tubes. The Hogue was an older aftermarket design sized for the 7 5/8"....and they made the extended adapter nut for the 6 1/2" tube. The Hogue is also an overmolded stock....it's a hair longer than stock forearms. It can sometimes be just a hair longer than the threads on the action tube so it needs to be carefully Dremeled as Ross said.

If a product on a website doesn't specify the shorter tube, it's almost always a 7 5/8" tube product. The longer one is still the norm.

Peace and long life.

rich

Nope, not a dead thread, very current.

Picked up the new 590A1 today. It came with a Knoxx Spec Ops stock, which I really didn't care for...til I shot it, that is. Shooting 3" turkey loads with that stock installed was nothing! I was planning to get rid of it, but I will hang onto it did some switching instead.

The 590 action tube fit the Hogue forend that I had for my 500 perfectly, not too loose or too tight; I opted to leave the Hogue forend on the 590, took off the Knoxx stock, installed a 500 stock and Limbsaver pad. That setup will now stay by my bed. I put the Knoxx stock on my 500 and that one will live behind the couch.

Both are loaded with Winchester PDX1 rounds and I feel secure knowing both will function if I need them to.

Awesome!!! Congrats and glad you got hooked up already, cant wait to see it!

Back